Merit 1/72 OSA Class missile Boat

magman2

• 3 months later...

Well, I couldn't resist and walked away from my local hobby shop with a very large box . . . and a much lighter wallet.

The Osa looks pretty good in the box, crisp mouldings, no flash and logical parts breakdown and construction sequence. There are two etched frets (for the radar, etc), a small length of fine chain, wire, and metal tubes for the prop shafts. There are also some puzzles such as drilling holes in the hull for scuttles but, as far as I can tell, no instructions for fitting transparencies.

Apart from an inbox review by Robin Buckland in "Military Modelling", I haven't managed to find any detailed online reviews or accounts of building the kit. I also haven't seen much reference material.

Has anyone else started building an Osa?

Cheers

David

Unfortunately not. I even had to buy my own as a review sample hasn't been forthcoming. :weep: Still it is a great looking kit, although I'm now looking forward to Merit releasing the OSA II.

Thanks for that tip.

I did find an account of Indian Navy Osas attacking Karachi during the Indo-Pakistani War of 1971 but haven't managed to find useful images of the boats yet. I'll broaden my search.

Crew figures are going to be a problem unless I can modify some Preiser figures.

Cheers

David

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to do one in an exotic camo, apart from the Indian Navy (black & white photo) can anyone point me to some other exotic multi colour camo schemes if there were any?

What colors is the Indian boat in (and are there any images of the port side and stern)? see pic below from www.bharat-rakshak.com

Historic-23.jpg

Edited by Uncle Dick
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I just found this beast of a ship tonight while looking around evilBay.

Anyone that knows me knows I'm not a Naval guy, but once I saw this beasty I just had to have one! I nearly bought the first one I found on evilBay but lucky I didn't!

A careful search found that list prices varied by as much as $80 USD!!!

Freetime Models in the US I found to have the best price of $79USD (~ 50GBP), that's their clearance price, so once they're gone they're gone!

Now i just need the info on that Indian Navy dazzle scheme or something similar and I'm set!

• 1 month later...

I got mine the other day, after some searching I got one from the US for $73.00!! Which was great seeing some on evilBay are going upwards of $150.00!!!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't started my OSA-1 yet as I have been waiting for a review that may help me to avoid any pitfalls. That review has now appeared in the June issue of Airfix Model World :)

David Fisher documents his out of the box build and he has several tips that will help construction to go smoothly. In particular, he mentions the need to drill locating holes, and particularly on the rear port missile housing. He also outlines the complexity of the PE components and gives the sizes for rod around which to form cylindrical components. David also suggests a construction and painting sequence that seems to work well.

David's build review is very positive and I'll quote from his concluding remarks, "This was a wonderful kit straight out of the box, and suffered from no major vices to trip-up the unwary beginner; in fact this would be a perfect test-bed with which to explore PE for the first time. And for the super-detailing fraternity, the embellishment possibilities are endless."

His model looks great and has set a benchmark for me.

Interestingly, a Merit advertisement in the magazine shows that an OSA-2 missile boat has now been released.

Cheers

David

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't started my OSA-1 yet as I have been waiting for a review that may help me to avoid any pitfalls. That review has now appeared in the June issue of Airfix Model World :)

David Fisher documents his out of the box build and he has several tips that will help construction to go smoothly. In particular, he mentions the need to drill locating holes, and particularly on the rear port missile housing. He also outlines the complexity of the PE components and gives the sizes for rod around which to form cylindrical components. David also suggests a construction and painting sequence that seems to work well.

David's build review is very positive and I'll quote from his concluding remarks, "This was a wonderful kit straight out of the box, and suffered from no major vices to trip-up the unwary beginner; in fact this would be a perfect test-bed with which to explore PE for the first time. And for the super-detailing fraternity, the embellishment possibilities are endless."

His model looks great and has set a benchmark for me.

Interestingly, a Merit advertisement in the magazine shows that an OSA-2 missile boat has now been released.

Cheers

David

david how big are the main guns on this ?

• 4 months later...