Mi-24 /35 Hind E , Revell 1/48 - Czech Air Force: finished :)

Never thought I'd use the word pleasant in relation to a 'Hind' but that's the only way I can describe that scheme. Nice work.

pleasant ;)

good description!

thanks for the kind words, Col!

• Like 1

Great project exdraken!

I am expecially fascinated by your courage to band the rear fuselage according to helicopter's original offset.

Regarding the main rotor blades color, all Mi-24 have green rotor blades on the upper side. But have in mind that the bottom side of the blades is black and not green.

Regards,

Igor

• Like 1

Regarding the main rotor blades color, all Mi-24 have green rotor blades on the upper side. But have in mind that the bottom side of the blades is black and not green.

Regards,

Igor

thanks.. hard to find decent photos of the underside of the rotorblade... mine are green for now :(

another discovery when looking at the nice 1/72 Zwezda AT-6 / 9k114 Schturm anti tank missiles in another thread I noted that Revell's missiles are bare any detail and about 5mm too short...

would live missiles have a breakable cover or would the launching tubes be open? most photos on the net show static show loads....

• 2 weeks later...

Hi exdraken,

I was quite busy last days, but finally I managed to dig some photos where you can see rotor blades from the underside. I hope it is not too late to make the correction of the color.

kqgscqsuy13nn0zzg.jpg

xdyxnhcx66ynp8azg.jpg

pe1beu25m09nxnuzg.jpg

3rcbhamzvxyh5fczg.jpg

Regarding the AT-6 missiles, yes their tubes have breakable covers, so the pictures you see on the net are the actual ones. On the static displays often you might find only the tubes without the missiles so those would be without covers. Here is one picture from 4+ publication for the reference.

mp2ty2v0g0o8jl7zg.jpg

You can also find a lot of videos of Russian Hinds in Syria like this one HERE . These are definitely not on static display…

If you are willing to invest more in this model (time and money) you can consider buying Cobra Company weapon set for Mi-24 (LINK). I think it is the best you can find on the market in 1/48. Or do some scratchbuilding :P .

Regards,

Igor

Edited by igormk
  • Like 2

Hi Igor,

you are of course not too late, as I already took the advice with the black undersides very seriously and re-painted them :) thanks a lot for the photos, I could not find any that showed the black that clear!

IMG_2466_1_1_zpspoozwbjk.jpg

detail painting still required...

some earlier pics with better lightning:

IMG_2426_1_1_zpsf09cyyo1.jpg

IMG_2422_1_1_zpsypxg7dpv.jpg

I did also work on the external stores

IMG_2468_1_1_zpsf6nfcgb3.jpg

cmk tanks seem a bit skinny..wheels are nice, rocket pods needed some drilling work, additionally the tubes looked a bit strange (kind of bend out)

rotor head links

IMG_2470_1_1_zpsehvcrpwg.jpg

also needed some shortening of the blade mounts

AT-6s/ 9k114 Schturm:

thanks for the video, these are definitely live ones ;) I was not sure with the 4+ pic...

and my takeon the AT-6s (the longer ones on the photo, the shorter, open ones are kit parts)

IMG_2471_1_1_zpsq5ighroa.jpg

IMG_2474_1_1_zpscmrzrnph.jpg

sprues filed to correct diameter (slightly more than the kit) and hollowed out/ contoured front with a dremel and a knife...

Cobra Company parts are really hard to get in Europe... so unfortunately not really an option :(

cheers!

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Great job! Now the rotor blades look like they should.

Main landing gear on Revell Monogram kit definitely need some rework. If you leave it like this it looks like the helicopter is about to lift off any moment. You can find many references of how close to the ground the fuselage is IRL.

According to the manual, clearance of the helicopter (the lowest point) is 0,32m on the optical sighting mechanism for ATGMs (nose section, right side). If you need precise data, I can make measurements on the real helicopter between the fuselage and the ground on 5-6 points, so you can make the correction.

Cheers!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

thanks Igor!

very welcome!,

decals are on:

IMG_2646_1_1_zpss4es2len.jpg

I shortened the main landing gear legs by about 2mm at their mounting base, and took ~ 1mm out of the front landing gear piston

IMG_2633_1_1_zpsmmjcstzf.jpg

IMG_2632_1_1_zpsip86tj44.jpg

tail rotor still needs some paint, main rotor-head same cables

• Like 9

I haven't attempted a helicopter yet, your build may just tempt to have a go at one, was it the Hind that was painted to look like an eagle or some such bird of prey, now that is one i Would build

Really great build exdraken, whats next on the list.

Regards

Jim

• Like 1

I haven't attempted a helicopter yet, your build may just tempt to have a go at one, was it the Hind that was painted to look like an eagle or some such bird of prey, now that is one i Would build

Really great build exdraken, whats next on the list.

thanks Jim, seeing a Hind live (at an airshow I mean!) is a sight not be me missed....

worked on the tail rotor yesterday: the trailing edge of the tips needed to be sanded to shape, detail provided by the kit is quite good imho:

IMG_2657_1_1_zps2zyj9x9e.jpg

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

unfortunately, when removing the masks of the canopy (after more than a year...), some residue remained...

BUT, the I remembered a tip by member Anil /azureglo in the today ending fantastic F-5 GB :) :) about using WD40 to remove residue without damaging the paintwork!

thanks a alot!

I just remembered today and applied the WD40 tip with a Q-tip on my Mi-24 cockpit glazing ! as it really needed it, and it worked like a dream!

GBs are a dream!

hope to show the finished Hind soon!

• Like 2

just noticed that I did not yet mount the windscreen wipers....!

but a fearsome looking 12mm 4 barrel gun....

IMG_4359_1_1_zps04hdjzmv.jpg

and I was working a bit on the anti tank missiles :

then:

IMG_2471_1_1_zpsq5ighroa.jpg

now:

IMG_4379_1_1_zpsazg3xhxq.jpg

aftermarket guys, take note! I'spend money to get good ones!

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I guess it is finished...

or will it ever be?

for the time being at least it is ;)

IMG_4752_1_1_zps273cst9l.jpg

IMG_4795_1_1_zpscpcnq11z.jpgIMG_4713_1_1_zpsqt8agpsy.jpgIMG_4696_1_1_zpsrnyst08t.jpg

angled/offset cockpit section/ rear fuselage:

IMG_4690_1_1_zpsmnqm1mnp.jpg

cheers, Werner

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 15

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...