Mi-24 /35 Hind E , Revell 1/48 - Czech Air Force: finished :)

NEW PROJECT!!

I have been collecting detail sets for Revell's Mi-24 Hind for quite some time now, but could not decide on a scheme, let alone starting this beast!

It is know for being the most accurate Hind in 1/48 - the only one available- Minihobby/Trumpeter did one many years ago, but it is said to be more or less the same kit as this one.

The kit should represent an early Hind D reasonably well out of the box, with problem areas being the tail which is said to be too short. additionally Mil, the original designer of this Russian helicopter decided to counter the rotor rotatory moment in part in a very novell/ peculiar way in tilting the whole fuselage aft of the cockpit section 2.5° to the right. On the ground a Mi-24 always seems to be leaning to one side!!

of course the kit does not represent this asymmetry at all, but is perfectly straight ! ;)

lets see how to correct this!

so, here you can see all the assortment of AM kits and the kit itself some time ago in the sun:

IMG_7933_1_zpsa36b53e2.jpg

I acquired the Pavla cockpit set at an airshow in Slovakia about 3 years ago, falling in love with the helicopter display there, still without the kit itself...!

IMG_7935_1_zpscf7ae4c8.jpg

detail is quite nice and a real improvement on the kit.

IMG_7936_1_zps68694c6a.jpg

IMG_7938_1_zpsbc216c55.jpg

CMK detail/ upgrade set to make a more modern Mi-24 V that is more commonly used nowadays in Europe.

this comprehensive set is made especially for the Minihobby / Trumpeter kit, so maybe some adjustment will be necessary. For me it was better value than the other, seperately sold sets for Revelll/ Monogram's kit.

It consists if new wing pylons with new camera fairing, nice, detailed pylons, a pair of external fuel tanks, bulged wheels, flare dispensers and other detail like laser/ RF targeting devices especially for this version.

IMG_7942_1_zps73b6cb1d.jpg

IMG_7945_1_zps1a2ef9b4.jpg

IMG_7934_1_zps056645b9.jpg

finally I got this rotor head and rotor correction from ruporator / ebay. He designs, makes and sells mainly 1/32 and 1/35 full resin kits (Su-7, Su-17, Su-22, Mi-8 weapons,...) and this nice one here:

IMG_8276_1_zpsc033f5c8.jpg

contains correctly shaped rotor blades, and a new rotor head. reinforced with metal inserts!

uncleaned blade detail:

IMG_8280_1_zpse664daf1.jpg

IMG_8284_1_zpsa1a594c2.jpg

IMG_8286_1_zps6ebddcb4.jpg

all my treasures together before starting:

IMG_8289_1_zpsfb56715a.jpg

it is NOT a small kit at all!

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 9

initial measurements and comparison with scaled up plans from the plus4 publications show only a few discrepancies :) mainly the tail being of in length, and angle!

IMG_8294_1_zpsd0766e6e.jpg

luckily CMK already cares for the lengthening part of the operation in providing an insert:

IMG_8303_3_zpsba1dc4b8.jpg

IMG_8309_1_zpsad01ced3.jpg

thats it for now, have to thing about the cockpit section... I am a bit afraid of cutting the kit up there! (black felt tip line indicating the location....)

IMG_8298_1_zpsbcf85c13.jpg

regards, Werner

• Like 5

My favourite helicopter. Beer and munchies acquired. So sitting comfortably and watching this one.

Chris

some progress_

tail glued not without problems... the diameter there does not adjust itself by just cutting it up ;)

pylons are lengthened with plastic parts from Revell pylons (is this a Trumpeter issue? or are they meant to be lengthened? nothing on it in the instructions!

IMG_8344_1_1_zpsc96ce9c0.jpg

Re the offset rear fuselage.... I took this photo at Zhulaniy, Kiev, in 2010.

It shows the offset perfectly........

mi-24-offset.jpg

Good luck with your build......

Ken

thanks Ken, very nice head on view!

according to the plans I use and some photos I took long time ago (and of course with a different focus in mind.... :( the pylons are also tilted to the right, so the and up at different distances to the ground!

the following pictures show where I decided to cut and bend:

it seems that the fuselage bottom is straight and symmetrically, just the upper fuselage and tail bends to the right

IMG_8359_1_1_3_zps1104333b.jpg

yellow line shows a cut trough all the plastic, the red line is just cut deep enough to be able to bend the fuselage sides with some force. Take care, the plastic is quite brittle, so I had to repair on some spots!

that's how it looks now, just held together: subtle effect, but quite noticeable I think!

IMG_8351_1_1_zps0b4d867e.jpg

IMG_8346_1_1_zps07db33d5.jpg

pavla cockpit also needs some adjustments or heavy surgery if you prefer, especially the back side console:

IMG_8350_1_1_zpsaf1becb4.jpg

Good luck.
I tried this kit once. Never again. The CMK stuff just didn't want to fit at all.

Sean

for the time being and considering the major "refinements" everything fits quite fine for now. will keep you updated!

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 4

its time to think about cockpit and passenger compartment painting...

a more or less modern Czech Mi-25 seems to have dark grey cockpit instruments, not the turquoise one of older models.

what abut the rear compartment?

are they still painted light grey?

thanks for your input!

Afraid I can't help with the cockpit colours but well done on correcting the fuselage offset. That's a brave move and a good job you've done of it.

• 1 month later...

maybe slowest progress ever ;) and bad lightning in the photos... hope you forgive...

decided to buy Aerobonus 80 mm Rocket pods, the most likely weapon for a modern Hind:

drilled them out a bot, but they do look quite convincing in my opinion. no sure if the pointy rocket tips fit in, though..

IMG_8463_1_1_zpsb606e300.jpg

some cockpit painting, more priming:

you can see the amount of resin removal is necessary to fit the cockpit in he remodeled fuselage halfs

IMG_8468_1_1_zps06684ccf.jpg

IMG_8475_1_1_zpsb22cbf85.jpg

IMG_8456_1_1_zpse911aa4c.jpg

cheers, Werner

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

sooooooo...

after some creativity break the crocodile beast is back on the bench! :)

some cockpit and interior painting done, the Pavla detail is not very detailed... some kit instrument decals where used as well

the resin cockpit fits with lots of swearing into my modified inclined front fuselage, I hop it will close up without too many problems!

IMG_4567_1_1_zpsbd5e8dd9.jpg

IMG_4574_1_1_zps0e8f585b.jpg

rupurator rotor enhancement/replacement and cmk stub wings and pylons. I think I have to cut uf the plastic parts again, seems to have been an error many months ago on my side!

IMG_4577_1_1_zpsf783f621.jpg

IMG_4580_1_1_2_1_zps8b93c9db.jpg

IMG_4582_1_1_zpsccd7ab6d.jpgIMG_4585_1_1_zpsac0818e5.jpg

IMG_4586_1_1_zpsa646c0ff.jpg

sorry for the bad pictures, next time hopefully in better light! (autumn weather...)

thanks for comments & critics! !

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I closed her up!

was not easy, but i think looks ok now!

IMG_4588_1_1_zpsabe2320d.jpg

with canopy for better visual understanding:

IMG_4593_1_1_zps8713012a.jpg

inclination is ok to your eyes?

IMG_4594_1_1_zps156f723d.jpg

IMG_4597_1_1_zps7335813a.jpg

in Russian it is called the crocodile:

this shot gives a hint as to why!:

IMG_4598_1_1_zpsefe41059.jpg

more work to be done :)

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Which marking option on the decal sheet are you making?

Andy

it is supposed to be a Czech Mi-35

Yeah I like that, I will be building this kit (as I picked it up this year) for a GB in Ivory Coast colours... I think I might do that trick too for the inclination too..

do so!

I think it is not a trick, actually according to the plan I use, the trick seems to be quite accurate!

canopy glued on, judgement day ;)

IMG_5219_1_1_zps117b9f66.jpg

area that needs blending:

IMG_5221_1_1_zps6652ea32.jpg

Pavla front cockpit:

quite detailed after all!

IMG_5225_1_1_zps0155a6e9.jpg

rear one:

0b2b0b83-3ddd-4a06-96c2-28a1684675fd_zps

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 7

• 4 months later...