+++ Completed +++ Czech AF Mig-21MF 7701 "Splinter" - 1/48 Eduard

Thanks guys, I'm enjoying this build even though I have the hardest part ahead of me with the paint job!

Have made quite a bit more progress and am now very close to the start of painting. Started to fit all the little bits that needed to be on there before the paint job.

DSCF1154_zpsfef70e0c.jpg

Yes that is filler around the air brake, as mentioned the instructions to cut these out are soooo vague that when you fit the inserts they don't fit! This is the only place I need to use filler as sprue just wouldn't do the job correctly. All other joins that required filling were done with stretched sprue!

I do love the resin scoops, much better that the models ones!

DSCF1156_zpsc23c9f62.jpg

DSCF1155_zps1a18dbf5.jpg

No I havent broken the pitot probe, theres an awesome brass beasty to go in place of the plastic & PE one........which had a bad bend in it. I need the fairing in place before I paint, will carefully drill out the old probe ready for the new one, which will be fitted at the end.

DSCF1157_zpse2ff0a9f.jpg

Plus painted some of the other bits and pieces.

DSCF1152_zps7584e67d.jpg

It now looks like a Mig and am really happy with the way the build has been going.

DSCF1153_zps160f62b1.jpg

Will be away for a week, relaxing in the sun :cheers::snorkle::fish::beer: , so should be already for the painting task!

Good work so far!

Those scoops are a nice touch and not very expensive, same for the pitot, the only thing I find tricky is getting the hole dead centre, without drilling through the side of the plastic!

Enjoy your holiday, we will be waiting to see the paint job

Very good. Yet again I do like the scoops and as you said so much better tahn the kit ones. I have managed to drill mine, but it would have been possibly better if Eduard had included resin scoops, as it would probably not added much to the price of the kit.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back after a nice relaxing holiday........

Ok time to get moving.......tidied up all the little bits that needed doing before painting. Was going to leave some of the PE bits off the wings and fuselage and fit after painting but I do sort of need them there for the splinter part, so on they went. Wonder how long before I knock them off!

The main wheel wells were given a good coating of masking agent and foam used on the bigger holes! The canopy was all masked up and painted that lovely blue green colour, then was tacked in place, still not sure if I plan to have it open or closed.

DSCF1166_zps473588ac.jpg

DSCF1167_zps90163b32.jpg

Everything was given a good rub down with thinners to remove all greasy finger prints and prep the surface.

As the splinter is painted in reverse the first coat was the dark grey. Model-CZ doesn’t give you any details on the exact colours to use! But after quite some time on the web I managed to find some details that are very close to the colours I’m after. So I’ll be using Gunze Aqueous paints with a mix (50/50) Ex. Dk. Sea Grey H333 & Midnight Blue H55 for the dark grey, Med. Sea Grey H335 for the mid grey, and Off White H21 for the white/very pale grey.

The last two colours are lighter than they should be but will darken up once applied over the darker base colour.......well that’s the theory! Plus I need to keep the coats nice and light so as I don’t get ridges building up around the masks.

The dark grey looks a bit light in the photos but is actually an almost perfect match for the Syhart decals so the mix was right and it’s a lovely thin coat as well. I’ll let it sit overnight before I start the masking, I am soooo looking forward to that part!

DSCF1169_zps38c58a58.jpg

DSCF1171_zpsa775b9ae.jpg

The only bad thing about this is that I won’t see how I’m going until the masks come off!

• Like 1

Glad you're back and going on this, keen to see it done! I hadn't really twigged it'd be reverse process but that does make most sense. Look forward to removing the masks, that's always my favourite bit, but with some trepidation...

so after a fun 3 1/2hrs the first set of masks were finally done.

The masks actually go on quite easily and have found only one problem one of them when painting, that sound be easy to fix.

No the real issues were that the drawings for the mask placement, as they don’t quite match those of the aircraft, or of the Syhart decals, which look to be very accurate. So after referring to all the drawings and photo’s I have I think I’ve got them in their correct positions.

DSCF1172_zps7c9df012.jpg

As you can see it's lots of fun doing it on a dark surface! :banghead::wacko:

My airbrush gave me a bit of grief to start with, but by the time I got to the airframe itself all was good........just needed lots of fine coats to get the colour right!

DSCF1173_zpsfa269053.jpg

Another nite to dry/cure and then the final masking, which should not take as long this time as I know the tricks involved. Hopefully this time tomorrow the masks will come off for the great unveiling, very nervous with that, got my fingers crossed! :pray:

• Like 4

This really does look complicated, hope that it turns out alright as you can't see the results as you are going along.

It is, I wouldn't attempt this in anything smaller the 1/48, they do produce a 1/72 version but you'd have to be mad to even attempt it!

Can't wait to see that Rich. How are the eyes holding up? :hypnotised:

Not too bad, there's something calming about spending +3 hours masking..........though I haven't found it yet!

Excellent work on this. Strangely there is a part of me that is up for these long complex masking schemes purely because the finish is so worth it. Looking forward to seeing yours. :goodjob:

oh yeah!!! I've had a sneak peek, will not say anything further! ;)

Ok another fun 3+ hours masking this morning, it should have been a lot easier as the positioning bits had all be done with the initial mask......but it wasn't!

The initial masks weren’t quite right and gave me grief getting their positions correct, well the second set were even worse, they just didn’t seem to match at all! So after much cursing and wishing I had gone the transfer option the masks were done. Other than that they didn’t quite match the hardest part was getting the serial number masks to line up, they took forever to sort out and.........a wee touch up is required.

DSCF1175_zps68554f7b.jpg

DSCF1176_zpsf10f8d17.jpg

Painting was just as much fun as well, the air brush again played up but sort of settled down for the main job. Again this is a reverse paint job so normally you would paint a lighter colour over a darker one.......especially not with super thinned paint! So to get the colour right it required multiple coats, which of cause made the top coat a bit thicker than I would have liked. Not too much of an issue, will just need a light going over with a micro-fibre cloth to smooth out and all will be ok.......oh and cause I forgot to put some liquid mask fluid over the marks to fill in the gaps! :doh:

DSCF1177_zps5ec5ccf1.jpg

Needless to say it takes nearly as long to remove the masks as it did to but on, and how does it look......... I've had a peek :wicked::P

• Like 3

Well not quite the drum roll but here it is!

DSCF1180_zps14134506.jpg

The serial number came out almost perfect on this side!

DSCF1179_zps3860d1bc.jpg

There's a slight issue with the marking on this side, the mask wasn't quite in the correct position.

DSCF1181_zpsedcebd1d.jpg

I’m actually really happy with the paint job, was almost worth all the effort....will leave that till it’s completed!

There are a couple of things that need to be touched up, the serial numbers plus I forgot a splinter! This is easy to do when you have well in excess of a hundred individual masks! I can use the reverse masks for the individual touch ups I need to do, so that will be fairly simple.

As mentioned I need to run over the model with a micro mess (not fibre) pad to help knock off a wee bit of the paint build up from the top coat.

It’s not 100% accurate when compared to the real scheme but considering. To get it right you need to work bigger 1/32, then you could do the masking perfect. For 1/72 forget it, use the decals and save yourself lots of headaches!

The end is now insight for this one, once I have a clear coat on just a light wash to bring up the panel lines and that’s it, as there appears to be only some minor (hmmm) safety markings and that it! Oh plus putting the rest of it together as well!

• Like 5

was back to an almost normal day after all the masking/painting.

Ran over the entire paint work lightly with a 3200 micro mash pad to remove any paint ridges and unwanted marks. Then set about touching up, in the end I didn’t need to re-mask anything, just did all the touch-ups by hand. The serials are just about right, they did take a lot of time to get right, I would say these are the hardest part of the whole scheme!

DSCF1182_zps2f5fc540.jpg

Finished off the ejector seat and most of the cockpit, have decided to leave the canopy open.....so a wee bit more work for me!

DSCF1183_zps3b98a25f.jpg

The undercarriage is almost complete and the door have had a an anodised finished on the inside, this will now be given a green coat then weathered/worn, have a couple of vague pictures to go by.

DSCF1186_zpsae0b0c7b.jpg

Ok this part is not 100% correct (I think) but I wanted to have this baby “locked an loaded” so I’m fitting a couple of R-60’s. Plus the centreline tank will not be the off white but bare metal/aluminium as seen in some of the photos.

DSCF1185_zps0deec69d.jpg

There’s not too much to go, will give it a semi-gloss coat tomorrow (actually comes out halfway between semi and matt), then hit the metal parts. I'll give it just a light wash to highlight the panel lines and maybe just a wee bit of grime around the lower parts of the engine area as well. Then basically then just putting all the bits together.

DSCF1187_zps1245fa0e.jpg

The more I look at the paint job the happier I am, it’s not perfect or 100% accurate and I don’t say it is, but it just looks so nice! I would recommend this to everyone, it’s hard work and a bit frustrating but in the end it looks amazing and much more rewarding than going the decals path!

• Like 1

this with luck will be the final update before it's completed!

Now all the work required is the little bits which sometimes just seem to take forever! Everything was given a clear semi-gloss coat which the dust bunnies just seem to love, it’s hard keeping the dust off it! :fight:

DSCF1192_zpsb6f34dab.jpg

DSCF1191_zps771d22ac.jpg

I managed to drop a cotton bud which had thinners on it onto the wing, resulting in I have to respray the right upper wing marking, not a big job just have to remask and paint only the dark grey. This was one I wasn’t happy with to start and wasn’t going to go to the bother to correct....well now I have to! :doh:

The speed brakes are all just partially open, there are lots of photos showing them in just this slightly open position....wonder if it has to do with loss of hydraulic pressure when on the ground? Anyway I still wish I hadn’t opened them up, wasn’t worth the effort, hence why I’m leaving them in this partially open state.

Undercarriage is pretty well complete, just the doors to sort out.

DSCF1193_zpsdf184a02.jpg

Just tacked everything in place to see how it will all look, found the cockpit doesn’t fit all that well which is going to be a bit of a pain to correct at this stage (should have looked at that earlier!!). :wall:

DSCF1190_zps9ddcd2a4.jpg

Love the pitot probe, much nicer than the Eduard one!

DSCF1188_zps7ff6a34e.jpg

And have changed my mine again...the canopy is going to be shut, else it will just become a breeding ground for dust bunnies and way to have to keep clean!

DSCF1189_zps47cc7725.jpg

Have to go away for a couple of days so won’t be able to complete this until the end of next week.

• Like 2