+++ Completed +++ Czech AF Mig-21MF 7701 "Splinter" - 1/48 Eduard

Well I'm finally calling this one completed! :yahoo:

All the little bits and pieces have been completed, have knocked off bits multiple times so itI must be finished. :doh:

The cockpit was finally closed up, I may come back to this model at some stage and open up the cockpit but for now it will at least keep the dust bunnies at bay!

DSCF1201_zps31e9b655.jpg

It was given a very light wash an left just a wee bit grubby around the engine area.

DSCF1202_zps217d9c6f.jpg

The “Odd Rod” PE antennas were replaced as I kept knocking them off, plus they didn’t look right. So they were replaced some optic fibre I have, much more durable!

DSCF1205_zpsa5be660c.jpg

DSCF1203_zpsb1c47851.jpg

As mentioned I wanted to add a war load to the beasty so a couple of R-60’s have been fitted, unfortunately I haven’t found any photos of this aircraft with weapons fitted so it’s a wee bit “wiffy”. The centreline drop tank is unpainted as shown in a couple of photos as opposed to the normal grey one in most of the photos, I just wanted to breakup all the grey.

DSCF1211_zpsf856fe47.jpg

DSCF1212_zps2ed137ce.jpg

I just love this aircraft and am so happy I decided to paint the splinter, was lots of work but it just looks great, would love to do this again in 1/32, could then get it perfect, as it is I’m chuffed with it.

Have added more photos to the gallery and RFI sections, enjoy. :thanks:

• Like 5

Excellent work. If anything, the only downside from the amazing paint job is that it detracts from what is a superb build too. Your patience paid off as I think splinter schemes look better when painted as opposing to using decals. However, either technique involves a lot of skill and patience.

Tom

Great build.

BTW, R-60s and drop tank in 'metall' colour are good ideas. R-60s remained in service with the Czech AF as long as MiG-21s did, and there were surely quite a few spare tanks left unpainted too.

Great looking model. wel done Rich. :goodjob:

Although I would have thought that you would do the masking yourself with some Tamiya paint. :hypnotised::rofl:

Just Kidding :fool:

Cheers,

• 7 months later...

I'm wondering what colors you used for the 3 grays?

I'm planning on building one in 1/32nd and that would help me

will look fantastic in 1/32, the scheme will be a lot easier to do. Do you have the masks or are you going to make your own....be an epic job if you are!!!

I'm currently away with work until Thursday so if you can wait I can give you the exact colours I used. I got the details from a web site (I can't remember at the moment) and they seemed to be pretty spot on from what I can tell. You need to be careful though as I have heard the pale colour referred to as plain white, this is not quite correct it's slightly off-white, pure white makes the it look too stark and unreal.

Plus the odd thing as well is you have to do the colour scheme in reverse if you are using the masks I used, goes against everything you'd normally do.

I do hope you post a thread for this. I'd love to do this build again in 1/32, it'd be sooooo much easier.

Will PM the details to you when I get home plus other info and links I have on the aircraft if you need them.

cheers