Finished. A6M2b, another Airfix

Wolwe82

The problem with how to achieve partialy glossy and partialy matt/satin surface is something i was thinking about at the early stage, when i wanted to make the double layer chipping (metal, worn matt/satin, almost new glossy colour), but i didnt find way how to do it :(

Here, you don't have to bother about this in my opinion. The Pacific weather seemed to dislike glossy surfaces ...

• Like 1

Thanks guys for spending your time watching my build and more thanks for your nice comments :)

to zegeye: you are probably right, it seems on the war photos the planes did not keep their shiny glossy surfaces for long. I think what spiton ment, at this moment the green and metal have both diferent matt/semi-gloss surface, but once i use varnish, both ll have the same amount of matt/satin. But i think i ll have to risk it, because leaving it unprotected is bigger risk, if i want to use masking tape yet.

I ll try to continue today when i get home from work, the kit is "drying" like 24+ hours, which should be enough. I ll try on under side first and ll see how it ll go. Though i did not used the hairspray chipping for bottom side, only for leading edges and rest i did mostly with humbrol enamel. The reason behind it is quite simple - once the grey under side colour gets wet (so i can chip it down), it gets obviously a bit darker and shiny andi cannt see much diference between the aluminium and the wet grey, so i could barely noticed when i was already hiting the aluminium paint. So when like half of my first scratches ended up in plastic and i had to repaint it (and i was going realy carefuly, but couldnt know when i m in already..), i just thought i can as well paint it straight.. :) Also the under side was usualy not that much used as top side (obviously no walking on the surface, not so many acces panels there, no sunshines .. ), so i just made it less worn there.

So after giving it (hopefuly) enough time to dry i did paint the yellow and grey (top side) areas. I was lazy and used the only yellow i had at home, which was spirit based yellow colour.. i realy DO NOT recomend to anyone to do this on acrylic base coat, even if you use acrylic varnish over the base coat.. The spirit based colours are simply too agressive. I thought it ll be fine, but it was not. Maybe it was because i had to use more layers of the yellow (i hate yellow, i realy do... its worst colour to paint for me, white is easy way compared to yellow.. i think the yellow knows i hate it and gives me worst in return ;) ), even when i gave it a lot of time to dry between layers. However, the result was a bit damaged surface where the yellow paint is.. i tried to save it with some scratches, while original idea was to keep the yellow sort of fresh, but even the scratches didnt save it i think..

The grey parts were fine i think, i used this kind of grey on purpose, to feel more fresh than the bottom side grey, as the grey marks on top side were painted much later.

Here are few shots, its nice and sunny weather outside so i tried to take shots on sunshine.

082.jpg

084.jpg

I did give it some glossy varnish (sidolux, something like future/klar), once it is dry i ll add decals and continue :)

• Like 1

to kev67 - i was thinking about giving it some black base coat in the future yellow areas, but i didnt want to destroy the coat under it, as it is siting on hairspray layer and i was not sure what it ll do :( for future i ll definitely try maybe silver first, then white and finish with yellow. Or, avoid yellow colour at all cost!! :) (there goes the reason why i gave up on making "tigermeet" collection.. :) )

to Col.- thanks, i think it would look a bit better if it kept the same pattern as the green, but what can i say.. i screwed this yellow part :( it shows i should pick something easier still.. but thats me, i want to try something new new new always.. :)

The underside is chipped already, not as much as the top side. I think i explained the reason few posts back :) but anyway, i did just normal chiping with humbrol aluminium on underside, because the grey and aluminium are realy close looking, mainly when the grey was wet.. so i couldnt say when i m already on "metal" and when i m still on the grey coat while chiping with cocktail stick. So few times i ended in the bare plastic.. Thats why i changed to classic chipping by paint on the under side.

However, thats also reason why it looks like it does - the chiping is there but the grey is so similar to the aluminium on photos (and now when its overall sprayed with glossy coat the similarity is even biger).

Seems i cannt finish single kit without few disasters.. have to admit its mostly because i m doing stupid things ..

Like now, applying decals and while waiting for it to settle down, i thought about painting the undercariage, wheels, and so on.. So i m painting this little stuff, once its painted, i take it and leave it next to the zero. Everything was fine, then i painted folded endingss of wings.. the endings, which i KNOW i ll make new as soon as i ll get another airifix zero kit (should have it tomorrow or at monday, depends on mail services here). But still i wanted to finish these which i made for now.. and ofc punished for doing something unnecessary, the wing ending jumped out of tweezers and with high precision it landed on left trailing edge of the zero... :banghead: Imidietely leaving light grey mark there, pretty heavy one.. I was still quite calm, because there are like 20+ layers of acrylic varnish on the surface.. However, the spirit based colours take it as no deal it seems and when i tried to take it off with cloth, it didnt go untill i pushed a bit harder.. and then it took all the 20+ layers of acrylic varnish + the green along.. :boom: so all i could do was try to rub a bit of the paint around down to the metal, to break the print edges.. Then ofcourse i had to do something similar to the other side, as it looked totaly weird..

087.jpg

and i loved how i managed to do the trailing edge, on area where the crew should NOT walk...

hope this was last disaster for this little jap, she suffered enough already :(

• Like 1

You are your own worst critic. It looks fine but please take care from now on because I can't stand any more drama at the thought of all this lovely work not seeing completion due to an unfortunate disaster.

• Like 1

Hah, you can bet i ll try to avoid any more drama :) thats why i ll give up some more "clever" ideas and ll focus just on one thing at once since now.

And i dont like the trailing edge now, because i spent a lot of time searching for real war photos or something closely post war and so, to make the chiping realistic, and then this happens and together with the yellow leading edge (which doesnt look as well) takes half of the work to the trash.. :(

Ye i know spiton, if you look back on the other images, there was almost no chiping in the part before. But i had the accident what i said in two posts back, the chiping there was not planned, i had to clear some print which was left there after accident, and clearing the print colour took down the green base colour too :( thats why i was so upset :(

But thanks, there are many wrong things on the build i bet, some i can see,some i cant so its good if other people point it out, either i knew it already or i didnt and then i can do something with it :)

Hey again guys a bit of progress here :) the decals are all set, at this moment doing some wash. Still dont have the flory wash so going with oil paints. Here is result on the underside, once this dries, i ll seal it with varnish and use some pigments to dust it a bit mainly around the wheel bays. The underside is actualy a bit more dirty but the photos doesnt show it so good, bcs its still a bit wet so it keeps reflecting the light

088.jpg

edit:

top side washed too

089.jpg

Edited by Wolwe82
  • Like 2

thanks spiton :) the problem withthe grey (underside) is, you cannt see the chiping there :( the grey and aluminium are so similar colours :( i ll try to enhance these at the end, after satin varnish (ll go for satin for this, as the original new paint should be gloss, so i ll use hard matt only on control surfaces which were made of cloth, rest ll be satin), so hopefuly the diference between satin vs metalic ll make it a bit more visible

Oh. Well, the grey wing/rudder edges were special operational marking used during Balikpapan defense (thats what the decals says), so i guess these were painted by the units on aircrafts which were already used for some time. So my kit should be like soon after this marking was painted, thats why theres not much chipping :)

Thanks JOAN, i have still lots and lots to learn though :) but i m happy for anyone who likes my work :)

here is some progress from tonight, leaving it for now and tomorrow i ll add some details (wheel bays covers, that antene "stick" behind cockpit, pitote tube, ..) paint some oil and smoke stains and i guess it ll be done :)

091.jpg

093.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks guys, realy appreciate your support all the way from beginning to here, i m sure if i was building it realy just for myself, outside of all the support you gave me here, i would have finished it way worse.. So you have your fingers in the result too :) and though there are still a lot of mistakes obviously (caused by my lack of skill, knowledge and sometimes patience), i m happy for the result so far :)

By the way, any idea how it was with the exhaust stains on zeroes ? I mean, the A6M2 has just one exhaust on each side, so if the stains looked something like P-47 or it was not so dirty? I ll have to look around :)