1/200 Yamato 1944 corrected and superdetailed - Update 11 February: WIP Pics

Hi,

Though being a dedicated car and truck modeler I use to shift to other fields of modeling from time to time for a change of pace. For some years in the early eighties I built 1/700 WL dioramas. From the modeler's point of view the Japanese Nagato/Mutsu and Yamato/Musashi are particularly attractive. After finishing this detailed 1/700 Yamato (the old Tamiya kit of those days)

comp_WL90_zpse6529625.jpg

it was clear that one day I would build Nichimo's huge 1/200 model. Some years later I purchased this normally quite pricey kit among others at a close-down sale and started it in the early nineties. I used a GMM photoetched set that was very rudimentary because it was a simple up-scaled 1/700 set. Some time later GMM released a new outstanding set in 1/200 - too late for me.

I was determined to superdetail my model as far as possible. Originally I planned to write a magazine contribution about it, so I took a lot of notes. I realized, however, that this would go beyond the scope of any article. Anyway I can say that the model is made of more than 6000 parts and that I spent more than 2000 hours building it. This was necessary because the Nichimo kit was designed as an R/C model, so it was very simplified and mostly rather crude; some parts (f. e. the „wooden“ deck) were so poor that they were unusuable. A few large parts were badly warped. Moreover the model was partially wrong and even essential parts were not replicated. Today the work would be much easier because besides the new GMM set there are many aftermarket parts for those things I had to make myself. In more than 50 years of modeling this was the biggest challenge for me to this day. Building this detailed model was only possible by an outstanding English book by J. Skulsky "Anatomy of the Ship - The Battleship Yamato" which contained nearly 200 pages full of plans and detail drawings

comp_Bug170_zpsaedf3680.jpg

comp_Heck170_zps8895ffd5.jpg

comp_00168_zps2120027f.jpg

comp_00268_zps1d13b7e0.jpg

comp_00368_zps028243f5.jpg

comp_004130_zpsd707c6c7.jpg

comp_005130_zps974efc7d.jpg

comp_006130_zpsef09c390.jpg

Since such a detailed model needed protection I made an appropriate glass/mahogany showcase for it.

comp_Vitrinehell40_zps3cda9349.jpg

comp_Vitrinedunkel40_zps8e36eec8.jpg

I am going to post two pictures from bow and from stern in high resolution. Please zoom them by holding your key ctrl pressed and pressing your key + several times. You should even recognize sights on the tiny single 25mm MGs.

I took the pictures through the glass of the display case. I hope you don't mind some reflections.

Edited by Plastheniker
  • Like 14

Another 1/200 monsterpiece! I know the Nichimo kit, and it's clear how much additional work has gone into this.

Love the presentation and case as well, fantastic job

Al

I take my hat off to you Jürgen, a beautiful model, and nice to see one in an intermediate antiaircraft fit. Even anyone unfamiliar with Yamato can see the skill and craftsmanship you have put into this ship.

I could go on and on listing what I can see, hopefully it is enough to just say well done!

That looks like a top job :thumbsup: I've a liking for the Yamato for some reason, probably stemming back to admiring it in the Tamiya catalogue when I was a boy ^_^

Thanks for the feedback!

I found some nice paper pictures taken during and after the build with a 35mm SLR.

I hope it is possible to scan them. If the result is acceptable I am going to post them.

:gobsmacked: Wow! Impressive, just one question how long did the build take?

As mentioned the ship required more than 2000 hours, the display case with the stand appr. 150 hours.

I scanned the paper pictures mentioned in post #17. Though they are more than 20 years old the scans didn't turn out that bad.

These first 6 pictures show the finished ship before I added the final display stand and before I put her into the display case. Due to the different illumination and without any glass reflections further details become visible.

comp_F168_zpsd8c4f273.jpgcomp_F268_zpse358692f.jpgcomp_F368_zps14da039b.jpgcomp_F468_zpscde589a3.jpgcomp_F568_zpsee7e3f40.jpgcomp_F668_zps38289fe1.jpg

The following 11 pictures show some WIP sub-assemblies. Probably the give a rough impression of a few problems and some detail work.

1: I aligned the warped sides of the hull with telescoping plastic tubes. The warped „wood“ deck of the kit (brown) was aligned with massive metal square rods and then covered by a scribed new deck. Since the main superstructure part (shown on pictures #3&4) was also badly warped I decided to screw it onto studs. You see some of the brass studs protrude.

comp_B168_zpsc90c5090.jpg

2: The port-holes were poorly moulded and mostly placed incorrectly. I replaced them (if not blanked off) by wire end ferrules. The moulding of the degaussing cable was conspiciousy varying. I replicated it with soldering wire.

comp_B268_zps2dd157ff.jpg

3: I aligned the warped main superstructure part with treaded rods and treaded sleeves fixed to the bottom.

comp_B368_zps777a7289.jpg

4: A detail shot of the superstructure. The brass studs protrude into the bases of the 12.7mm AA turrets. These turrets would conceal studs and tightened nuts.

comp_B468_zpsd08f76db.jpg

5: A detail shot of the tower bridge with some corrections.

comp_B568_zpsee54a415.jpg

6: The massive, completely closed funnel hood after reworking.

comp_B668_zps7b215ad0.jpg

7: The tripoid mast of the kit didn't show the 1944 refit. Converting it I used universal PE frets and telescoping hypodermic needles.

comp_B768_zps682a7f57.jpg

8: A modified 46cm gun turret and barbette. The light railings on top are made of thin hypodermic needles and nylon monofilament.

comp_B868_zpsc9c755a5.jpg

9: A modified 15.5cm gun and barbette.

comp_B968_zps5c2877f8.jpg

10: A modified 12.7cm AA gun turret and a modified triple 25mm AA gun with shield (rather small even in 1/200)

comp_B1068_zpsdd74e5ec.jpg

11: New ensign staff, towing fairlead, and further details

comp_B1168_zpsdcbd870b.jpg

Thanks for the feedback!

I found some nice paper pictures taken during and after the build with a 35mm SLR.

I hope it is possible to scan them. If the result is acceptable I am going to post them.

As mentioned the ship required more than 2000 hours, the display case with the stand appr. 150 hours.

Sorry Jurgen, just re-read your initial post duh! I was obviously too busy admiring the pics than to read!!!!!

• 9 months later...

Dear Jurgen ,

please allow me to express my deep admiration for your Yamato. A masterpiece !!!

I'm also intended to make this same kit but I need to get some upgrades , obviously .

Is there a way I can send you a mail ?

Kind regards,

Erik