GB Chat

Hmmm do I join this? I currently have two MiG 21's in my stash... a KP one and the Mir derivative. It's not an aircraft I know much about, and both kits came as part of a bigger parcel. Perhaps this the time to break them out!!

Go on join, you know you really want to.

Hi all

I need some help for my Academy build as a Finnish aircraft :)

Can anybody with an Eduard 21 in the Finnish scheme provide me with the paint codes. I can then search out some equivalent Humbrols and crack on with the painting.

Also, what did the Finns hang off their MiG 21's? Can I use the Russian rocket pods, drop tanks and missiles provided in the Academy kit?

Any help much appreciated

Cheers

Chris

Hi all

I need some help for my Academy build as a Finnish aircraft :)

Can anybody with an Eduard 21 in the Finnish scheme provide me with the paint codes. I can then search out some equivalent Humbrols and crack on with the painting.

Also, what did the Finns hang off their MiG 21's? Can I use the Russian rocket pods, drop tanks and missiles provided in the Academy kit?

Any help much appreciated

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris

I have the Eduard 21 BIS - and it has a Finnish aircraft.

Main colours are:

H32/FS20108 a dark brown

H303/FS 24127

and the nose is a green - H6

Underside is all H308/FS26373

The H numbers are HobbyColour Aqueous (ie acrylic.)

Shout if you need more info or a scan of the page - I have the instructions on my desk

Forgot to add - the Eduard kit seems to have a central external tank on the instructions - but gave a whole list of Russian weapons and then says "check your references".

anthony

Edited by Anthony Kesterton
  • Like 1

The finnish aircrafts actually used 2 different set of colours over time

Initially, the aircrafts had a black-green that varied between FS 34064 and 30108 and a light green similar to FS 34127 with lowers in a grey similar to FS 36373

Later the aircrafts were repainted with a dark brown-green similar to FS 30040 and a green similar to FS 34102. Lower surfaces became grey similar to FS 36440.

Interestingly the Hawks have a very similar scheme and this uses BS381c colours, 437 for the dark green and 222 for the light one

Some exciting news for all the Group build entrants, we have some prizes in the pipe line!

Not only has Tom Cooper been a source of valuable info he has also been working 'behind the scenes' to get us some copies of the Arab Migs series of books (which he authors if you weren't aware!).

Thanks to Tom and Heinz Berger at Harpia Publishing we will have a number of books to give away as prizes. Depending on how many completed builds we get I will organise the best way to divi up the prizes before I set up the poll.

For anyone who's not aware of the books take a look at Harpia's website

http://www.harpia-publishing.com

This should be all the incentive we need to get those builds finished by the May 4th deadline!

• Like 1

Some exciting news for all the Group build entrants, we have some prizes in the pipe line!

Not only has Tom Cooper been a source of valuable info he has also been working 'behind the scenes' to get us some copies of the Arab Migs series of books (which he authors if you weren't aware!).

Thanks to Tom and Heinz Berger at Harpia Publishing we will have a number of books to give away as prizes. Depending on how many completed builds we get I will organise the best way to divi up the prizes before I set up the poll.

For anyone who's not aware of the books take a look at Harpia's website

http://www.harpia-publishing.com

This should be all the incentive we need to get those builds finished by the May 4th deadline!

WOW :analintruder:

What a nice gesture of Tom Cooper, Heinz Berger and Harpia Publishing.

I sure do hope I'll be able to fininsh my builds on time.

Back to the worktable.....

/Bosse

ok........

have no idea what day that is/was so looked at thread header, will actually be back off shift before this one finishes so no excuse not to finish....other than getting lazy or more like distracted!!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm very sorry to say that unfortunately other things got in the way so I could do almost nothing over the weekend... pity, as I was hoping to get at least one finished in time.

In any case, I'd like to thank the host for this STGB, Harpia for having offered prizes and Tom Cooper for the load of information he made available. It's been good working on some MiG-21s, and I've been very impressed by the beautiful models made by the many modellers who took part.

Well done everyone who took part, the gallery filled up nicely at the end!

Thanks to everyone who engaged with the threads too, Tom has been giving his expert insight all the way, plus we've had other who've helped too. Once again thanks to Tom for organising the prizes and Heinz at Harpia for agreeing to supply them.

I'll lock the gallery now and sort out a poll ASAP, my bank holiday has been mostly DIY, except yesterday when the wife and I celebrated Starwars day, which also happened to be our first wedding anniversary.....