Academy 1 48 Lavochkin LA 7

Hello everybody;

second completed model for me here on BM, it's Academy's 1:48 Lavochkin LA7, Soviet Ace Ivan Khozedub's machine. The subject is probably well known, and the kit too; I built it as part of my learning curve, experimenting new (to me) techniques and some scratch building.

Some details about the kit and my built:

- first time masking with blue tac (called Patafix here in Italy, and it's actually white); I must say I'm pretty happy with the soft edge you get with demarcation lines

- scratch built pitot, using a prescription needle

- scratch built details in the wheel bay

- scratch built minor details inside the cockpit (harnesses, some piping and control wheels)

- I had a horrible time with the kit decals, so I decided to paint on the red stars on the tail rudder (I think it shows, as the inner star is a bit off center compared to the outer), the two red&white triangles on the engine covers, and part of the numbers.

- aerials went south when I painted them, so lesson learnt for next time: first paint, then glue 'em in (it's a standard white cotton thread)

- gun barrels are from the spare box

On with the pics, any comments welcome

DSCF1686_zpsdc6d6efa.jpg

DSCF1683_zps939ab551.jpg

DSCF1682_zpsdb7632ca.jpg

DSCF1684_zpsb1eae37a.jpg

Underside:

bottom_cpl_zps68607800.jpg

bottom_cpl_dtl_zps9443bf0e.jpg

More details:

left_side_cpl_zps19f0f2cd.jpg

left_side_dtl_zpse8aee755.jpg

left_side_dtl2_zpscb01e9fd.jpg

front_cpl_zps7e558ffe.jpg

top_cpl_zps42357b53.jpg

top_cpl_2_zpseebcdd51.jpg

Cockpit details

cockpit_dtl_zps54fe352d.jpg

Pitot

pitot_cpl_zps4eb4044a.jpg

Cockpit again

cockpit_dtl_2_zpsaa94c3be.jpg

Tail

tail_cpl_zps9ac0686d.jpg

Nose

nose_cpl_zps8a9c41be.jpg

• Like 10

You asked for comments........

It's a nice little model - well made and finished - but it looks like the undercarriage legs aren't raked forwards enough - making it sit too high.

I've noticed it on other builds of Eduard's kit, so presumably its built-in ???

Here's Kozhedub's La-7 at Monino (where I photographed it in 2004)....note how the wheels are well forward of the wing...

day02_33.jpg

Kozhedub was the highest scoring allied ace - with 62 kills..... this is a closeup of the kill markings, plus the three 'Hero Of the Soviet Union' stars and a laurel wreath....

day02_34.jpg

I'm not sure about the authenticity of the markings - Monino are not too bothered with historical accuracy.

Just to finish off, I photographed his grave in Novodovichy cemetry, Moscow in 2009.....

day01_004.jpg

Ken

• Like 3

Thanks Ken, much appreciated. You are absolutely right about the undercarriage, it doesn't look right. The problem (my fault) is that I didn't dry fit the legs before mounting and painting the whole thing, so I ended up fitting them in and then saying "That nose looks way too high". Anyway, at that point I didn't trust my limited abilities and decided to leave them as they are.

About the kill markings: I totally trusted Academy's decal for that, and only now that I read your post, I counted them and they are 63! :banghead: I also had these pictures for reference, but it's like the third different camouflage scheme I found about Khozedub's machine, so again going along with Academy's decal scheme, I thought that my version could be an earlier one, i.e. 3rd star not yet assigned.

Well, I guess I'll have to revise my research and do better for next time.

Thanks again for your comments

GM

Edited by giemme

i think the shot down stars should be like you have it, though i did some quick research and found Khozedub´s La-7 (aircraft painted like that) in more museums which all had it on the right side, but most were from russia and as Flankerman said, the references from museums cannt be taken too seriously, mainly when it is about camouflage and colours (one more hint about the Monino La-7 - the stars on top side of wing probably should not be there as well and if yes, than i guess not as close to the leading edge?) . All other sources i found had it on the left side.

But i did find something strange and maybe you can help me as there could be some info in the Academy instructions or so. The thing is, the gun barrels .. on ALL "Khozedub´s" planes in the museums the barrels are well out of the cowling, just like yours. But so far on ALL other photos, where it is clearly visible(it was like 15-20 images i could find that quick and it was mix of war photos and museum planes) and on all camouflage drawings the barrels are not out of the cowling at all or just a bit, but not leaving the cowling´s silhuette. Now i know the camo drawings are often inacurate in such a details but the photos..

As i said i saw these long barrels on all khozedub´s look a like museum planes, so i m NOT blaming you at all, want to make it sure at this point :) But i was thinking, if he was using some special weapons or maybe some late version of plane? Does the academy instruction says anything about it? I m just wondering how it should be, because i was making La-7 few days ago and made the barrels all hiden as what i saw on photos/drawings of "my" plane. But now i m quite confused :)

Thanks and srry for a bit longer post

By the way one more thing about the camouflage and how this plane looked. It seems he was using more aircrafts over time. On http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/f/335/1 you can find like 10 camouflage schemes for this plane and all are diferent. Some in details, some realy VERY diferent.. From diferently painted propeller cone(yellow, white, red), tail marking (white, yellow, none, blue for winter), shot down marks (left side, both sides, none) and number of medals (obviously) to realy big diferences, like top camo colour (grey/grey scheme, one coloured grey, green and even dark blue).

So all i want to say with this is, you did nice work and probably even the pilot itself couldnt tell you today how the plane looked at what time. So i would be happy for nice kit, thats it :)

• Like 1

Thanks Batcode and Wolwe82!

@Wolwe82: I'm sorry, Academy's instructions are of no use concerning the gun barrels; in fact, they are not part of the kit, they come from my spares box. I went with what I saw in some pictures (probably the museum lookalike planes, as you said). I'd say, go with what you feel most reasonable, and enjoy it :winkgrin:

Thanks again for popping in

Cheers

GM

• Like 1

• 2 months later...