Revell Neoplan Cityliner with lighting

Hi all

This is my attempt at lighting the Revell Neoplan Cityliner.

After lighting the Routemaster Bus it gave me the confidence to attempt the same with this kit although there wasn't so much space to work in, with such a large cluster of lights. To find out the external lighting setup I contacted the manufacturer and someone was kind enough to send a picture of the front and rear with every light function clearly marked.

I also had to find a way of lighting the floor passageway and the internal roof lights but found something on the Internet that helped to achieve that. It is not perfect by any means and some blemishes can be found if you look hard enough, but when displayed in a display case, some of that is hidden.

More pictures of the finished build as well as WIP pictures and a video can be seen HERE.

As with the Routemaster, I hope to upload some pictures that I took as I built the kit so that it may give other members ideas for a future project.

Regards

Kevin.

Stage3_01 Stage3_03

Stage3_06

Stage3_07

Stage3_08

Stage3_10

Stage3_11

Stage3_17

Stage3_20

Edited by ukmodeller
Updated links
  • Like 2

Hi guys

I have now included a couple of videos of the Cityliner which show the light details better at the end of the pictures above.

Apologies for the quality of the pictures and video's but my photographic skill are somewhat lacking in a big way.

Regards

Kevin

Edited by ukmodeller

Wow Kevin, your Titanic was more my thing, but I have to say this is even better.

Wonderful work building the kit, lovely clean paint job and construction, but with the lighting on top, the build just goes to a whole new level.

Brilliant. :goodjob:

• Like 1

Hi Kevin

Your work is imaculate !!!!!! Fantastic job on the lighting which really sets your models apart !!!! This and the Routemaster are both fantastic !!!!!

Hope to see more of your inspiring how too's on the lighting !!!!!

What would you say is the average price of adding the lighting, wiring and circuit boards for this sort of stuff at 1/24 ??????

Would be good to get a pinned how too on the reference sections with material lists, rough costs and wiring diagrams, battery and resister sizing for the ham fisted like my self !!!!! Maybe some important does and don'ts that save blowing the tiny LEDs, etc !!!!!

Nige

Hi Kevin

Your work is imaculate !!!!!! Fantastic job on the lighting which really sets your models apart !!!! This and the Routemaster are both fantastic !!!!!

Hope to see more of your inspiring how too's on the lighting !!!!!

What would you say is the average price of adding the lighting, wiring and circuit boards for this sort of stuff at 1/24 ??????

Would be good to get a pinned how too on the reference sections with material lists, rough costs and wiring diagrams, battery and resister sizing for the ham fisted like my self !!!!! Maybe some important does and don'ts that save blowing the tiny LEDs, etc !!!!!

Nige

Many thanks for the great compliments guys.

Though I have been a modeler for more than 45 years, it is only in the past year that I have turned to adding lights.

I have very little knowledge of electricity or electronics but managed to find enough info on the Internet to make me feel confident enough to meddle. I am now progressing to using a soldering iron and heat shrink (that's how far I've got). Resisters? It goes like this: 'Ah, heres one. That works ok..................solder............done'. See what I mean?

Another problem has always been finance, as the family live on a tight budget and would rather eat than to watch me spend the housekeeping on my hobby, lol. So I get the kits for birthdays, Christmas, etc, and then spend the next few months sourcing and buying, a little at a time, the components needed, paying as little as possible. I use batteries because you don't get such a huge shock or burning smell when it goes wrong.

When it came to the Routemaster I think I must have spent as much for the components as was spent for the kit but obviously you really have to shop around and see what is actually on the market at a price acceptable to your budget.

The idea of a components list and guides within the reference section would be a great idea. I spent weeks on the Internet going through hundreds of sites to seek out any hints or ideas. By seeing how others did it, I was able to work out how to incorporate their ideas into my particular kit.

I will try to get a components list, etc, and post it sometime in the future. My intentions are to get anyone to look and think 'I could do that'.

Thanks again for the interest guys.

Kevin

Edited by ukmodeller

31 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

I rarely visit this part of the forum but I'm glad I did. Lovely model, well done.

Thanks Vinnie. Appreciate your kind comment.

Now you have ventured this far, maybe I could persuade you to view my Routemaster Bus with added lighting HERE ?

3 hours ago, ukmodeller said:

Thanks Vinnie. Appreciate your kind comment.

Now you have ventured this far, maybe I could persuade you to view my Routemaster Bus with added lighting HERE ?

Funny you should say that. I have the Routemaster in my stash. Trouble is, for the moment I can't set up a spray booth, and while my brushwork looks ok on 1/72 aircraft, I have a feeling that a hairy stick finish on that expanse of red probably wouldn't. Your illuminated Routemaster looks amazing. Did you do a WIP?

18 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Funny you should say that. I have the Routemaster in my stash. Trouble is, for the moment I can't set up a spray booth, and while my brushwork looks ok on 1/72 aircraft, I have a feeling that a hairy stick finish on that expanse of red probably wouldn't. Your illuminated Routemaster looks amazing. Did you do a WIP?

Thanks, Vinnie.

Actually, I made this kit before I got into airbrushing. The only spraying I did was the body shell in red, where I used a couple of spray cans. Everything else was hand painted - Even the hundreds (well, it seemed like it at the time) of seats. I must admit that some paint colours went on smoother than others but I'd advise waiting until you can use your spray booth. As you say, it is not worth risking having brush strokes all over the bodywork (and fingerprints).

I did do a WIP HERE if you are thinking of doing something similar. There is so much help on the Internet too for the adverts and route details.

• Like 1

Now that's modelling. Like Vinnie, I rarely visit this part of the site being a dyed in the wool afv modeller, but the coach and the bus are absolutely superb. The lighting really sets them off. I really like the DAF as well, and have often considered having a go at one as I drove one or two when I was with Frans Maas an Royal Mail. Maybe one day before I join that big model shop in the sky!

John.

7 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Now that's modelling. Like Vinnie, I rarely visit this part of the site being a dyed in the wool afv modeller, but the coach and the bus are absolutely superb. The lighting really sets them off. I really like the DAF as well, and have often considered having a go at one as I drove one or two when I was with Frans Maas an Royal Mail. Maybe one day before I join that big model shop in the sky!

John.

Thanks John. Appreciate good comments as always and I'm really glad to get you thinking about branching out. My electrical knowledge is very small but after sitting down with some cheap Led's, a battery and resistors I soon picked a few things up. 

I think the reason I enjoy the transport kits so much is that I never had the chance to fulfill my dreams and drive them in real life. So I build replica's instead. But I do envy those who have experienced it for real.

Funny, but your comment about driving the Daf and Royal Mail got me thinking..........The Daf and trailer would look amazing in RM colours and livery. I dare say there would be copyright problems but I'd have to look into that............:idea:

Cheers

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ukmodeller said:

I think the reason I enjoy the transport kits so much is that I never had the chance to fulfill my dreams and drive them in real life. So I build replica's instead. But I do envy those who have experienced it for real.

Funny, but your comment about driving the Daf and Royal Mail got me thinking..........The Daf and trailer would look amazing in RM colours and livery. I dare say there would be copyright problems but I'd have to look into that............:idea:

Hi Kevin,

I only got into driving Class 1 HGV's after a lifetime in both the army and then the oil trade. I took early retirement at 50, got my class 1 and Hazchem certificate and then spent the next few years driving around the continent and UK. Never regretted it, but I'm glad I'm out now as UK traffic drives me mad.

I agree, the RM livery would look good an a unit and trailer.

John.

14 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Hi Kevin,

I only got into driving Class 1 HGV's after a lifetime in both the army and then the oil trade. I took early retirement at 50, got my class 1 and Hazchem certificate and then spent the next few years driving around the continent and UK. Never regretted it, but I'm glad I'm out now as UK traffic drives me mad.

I agree, the RM livery would look good an a unit and trailer.

John.

Hi John

That was my dream. I wanted to drive coaches around Europe and then get my Class 1 and do the same. Got myself a wife and that dream didn't seem so attractive.......ha! ha! Now WE travel around Europe by coach and it seems so much better having someone else do the hard work.

I used to love driving but hate it now. Too many idiots on the road who cannot have passed their test I'm sure. Luckily I now work at home. I couldn't put up with the problems the truckers have nowadays with the strikes in France and the problems getting safely through Calais, etc.

Found this on the Internet. The cab and trailer kit (with a Daf cab) I used is going for £68 on Amazon at present which is a good price. May be worth looking at for your future project?

Image result for frans maas transport

https://www.catawiki.com/catalog/model-cars-miniature-cars/makes-manufacturers/lion-toys/2063263-volvo-frans-maas

Kevin

• Like 1