Trumpeter 1/72 Challenger 1 MBT (Nato version). - FINISHED

Ok, here is my entry for this GB;

A Trumpy 1/72 Challenger 1 Main battle Tank - bought for the princely sum of £5.99 in a wonderland sale just before xmas!

Apologies for the photos - was using my phone at the time (new camera has now arrived but did not want to redo shots).

c1_zpsda09854c.jpg

Ugly box cover - no idea what they were thinking on this...

c2_zps100836a7.jpg

Really sharp kit parts, not sure how accurate; I am more about the fun than the rivets!

Tally ho....err....soon...

Pete

Edited by snapper_city
  • Like 1

Really nice - good detail, and sharp!

I like the Trumpeter AFV range, but binned their Pershing as the road wheels would not sit right and so the tracks

were as crooked as hell.

Will be watching with interest.

And we're off...

Small start, very impressed with the parts and detail so far, think this is going to be a great build!

A few bits done; both sides of tracks have had inner wheels fitted, a couple of bits on the base (sprockets and bulls), and the two 4 part barrels glued together.

challenger1_zps0eacc4fb.jpg

Going to crack on more tomorrow (wife permitting).

Good luck all.

Pete

• Like 1

Another small update today chaps and chapesses:

1. Finished off tub and suspension bits (hope it all fits onto the wheels later on)!

2. Drums and bits affixed to rear panel (need some sanding on drums).

3. Turret started off (4 bits so far - lots to go).

c2_zps17eaf931.jpg

c3_zpsf9f5327b.jpg

• Like 1

More progress today!

step3_zpsa46fec08.jpg

Still bits to add to this yet, shaping up nicely though!

step4_zps665d7675.jpg

Tracks looking very nice so far - need to weather them etc, but on the whole, looking good!

Weekend before I get to do more now, I think.

• Like 3

Small update - turret completely assembled (and touched up with PVA for a few gaps). Tub painted and shaded where the tracks will go!

Blurry pic of tub - poor lighting!

step5b_zps254d51b9.jpg

step5_zps0cb404d9.jpg

More tomorrow, with luck.

• Like 2

It's all down to the kit Deac! Just trying to redeem myself after my Texan tribulation!!

As Snapper said Kwaterous, go for it; there is no turning back from the dark side however.

Another small update today; sadly, the tracks did not sit well with the tub after all - so, after a bit of butchering I got them to fit - but, it sits about 5mm lower than it should (about 150mm in real life)!

Ready for painting, weathering and decaling now!

Going quicker than I expected - thankfully I have a second entry into this GB coming soon from Japan -it will be WAY out of my comfort zone - so looking forward to it!

bolted_zps0db36de0.jpg

• Like 1

It might have something to do with giant, outlandish, fighting machines Snapper!!

• Like 1

It might have something to do with giant, outlandish, fighting machines Snapper!!

Gundam? I'll be entering with my Hazel, so there will be two (if it is a Gundam). Just gotta get up into the loft to get it ;)

Loving the Challenger tho, might look into buying one myself later on :hmmm:

Kind Regards,

Dazz

It is indeed Dazz, I have been itching to do one for a while now, got a great deal on it from Japan - £8.84.

Would not be my first choice to do, but I like it quite a bit, I will be getting a few more Gundam kits as they really appeal to me!

Just have to wait a few weeks for it to ship to me - stuck in a Tokyo post office at the minute....

That was my first impression also Snapper!

They are actually fighting suits - controlled by a pilot (not sure if partially autonomous), there are so many kits, outstanding amount even. massive in Asia and America I am informed, they do appeal to me a lot.

Still not 100% up on them as so much 'lore' to go through!

That was my first impression also Snapper!

They are actually fighting suits - controlled by a pilot (not sure if partially autonomous), there are so many kits, outstanding amount even. massive in Asia and America I am informed, they do appeal to me a lot.

Still not 100% up on them as so much 'lore' to go through!

You can get autonomous ones, but it depends on the year, series and timeline. But most of the time they are piloted by either a whiney kid, and 40-something Prof Brian May wanna be (Char Anazbel) or a 15 year old schoolgirl.

Here's a little info on the series I done for the 1/144 GB, and no I still haven't finished Hi-Nu yet. http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234936290-bandai-1144-hg-rx-93-ν2-hi-ν-gundam/#entry1295793

I look forward to seeing your model Paganpete. What one did you go for??

Kind Regards

Dazz

I went for this one Dazz -

MSM-07S Z-Gock Char's Custom

I like the aquatic ones, and especially this one and it's variants.

I quite fancy doing this one also - http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN920464/Gun

...and loads of others, think I might be converted...this set I want too - http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN950665/Gun

This may become obsessive!

Pete

Ok, back to this build - so far I have slapped on the camo (I used anthracite rather than flat black, looks a bit more weathered) - next up is decaling, detail and washes/weathering, off tomorrow and Tuesday so should get a bit done then as well.

camo_zps3d0bb70f.jpg

• Like 4

Great job Pete

This is different to my memories of armour building, with hundreds of wheels to be taken off the spues, and cleaned up to make round then getting the wrong wheels on the wrong axle hub and having to undo it all, I can't think for the life of me why I went off armoured kits....!

Lovely job on this one mate.

• Like 1