1/72 Fujimi Spitfire XIV - 95% COMPLETE

Hi all,

Been wanting to do this a while... Got hold of the Fujimi XIX to convert to a low back XIV with resin kits and all.

Thanks to Steven for the low back spine

20140127_135850_zps9u9vp0np.jpg

" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://s1282.photobucket.com/user/Ben2BS/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140127_214806_zpstifsgjfs.jpg.html]20140127_214806_zpstifsgjfs.jpg[/url]

This isn't going to be easy as its the first time I've ever built a model with so much resin. The engine will be the hard part...

The upgrades I have are; Armycast Engine and cockpit set, Squadron clear canopy and the Master E Wing armament.

Ben

Edited by wellsprop
  • Like 3

A nice challenge! So much resin, so little space...like Cecil must have said.

But I am sure the end result will be stunning!

Have fun!

JR

Having a few problems...

The engine mounts are in the correct place

20140129_151829_zpskr8af0vi.jpg

And here's where you can see the problem arise

20140129_151819_zpsnqcfstjd.jpg

20140129_151852_zpszhx14zpk.jpg

The mounts are about 3mm too wide where it should meet the bulkhead/firewall. I'm not too sure what to do. The only options I have are to file down the engine mount as well as part of the engine :S

Ben

That looks like it's for just the chubby Academy XIV mate not for either/or :doh: .

Not sure what you can do there Ben.........

Are the mounts part of the engine casting or are they separate?

If you can remove them from the engine then maybe thin them around the

area they fit to the engine and gently adjust them to be parallel to the engine

so that they'll line up with the firewall instead of being wider at the rear ends.

:shrug: :shrug:

Edited by Miggers

Having had a look on the Armycast website, the engine mounts are seperate from the engine (and are suggested for the Academy or Fujimi Spitfires), so I agree with Miggers; your only option is to thin them... a lot by the looks of it.

Well i filed down both the mounts and this still didnt solve the problem so i filed down the problem bit of the engine. I also tried to thin the peice of resin that has the exhausts and braces the front round bit (where the spinner goes) to the firewall, however, i broke this part and didnt thin it well enough so it loosk like ill have to fic it and attempt to thin it somehow >.<

20140129_211910_zps1kacns6v.jpg

20140129_223236_zps5nwmslhf.jpg

Ben

Well done old lad.

A bit of a lesson there chum,if it says for the Academy,then it's bigger than any other Spit kit.....

BTW,what Flightsim do you use Ben?

Thanks! It's somewhat battered my mojo, however I can see the light...

I use FSX for rattling round in a Pa28 and IL2 1946 Modact 4.1.1m for battering Gerry in my trusty Spit :)

• Like 1

Good lad.

I use Fs9,I used to be a virtual airline HS 748 captain,but now I just do virtual displays at virtual fly-ins

and lots of beta testing for the BritSim developers.

For combat the original IL-2 still cuts it for me,my trusty steed is always the 109G-4.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

That's a lot of work, you have my admiration. I'd have given-up or not even started it!

Thanks, I'm actually building it side by side wiht an Me262 just to keep me from going insane...

They said I'd never do it,

They said I'd never do it :frantic: (too late)

• Like 1

Since this photo was taken I have added finished the initial few coats, all I now need to do is tidy up the patchier areas before cleaning up the demarcation. Then on to the underside before adding all the extras etc...

IMG_6660_zpsb184490b.jpg

• Like 1

Nice work, Ben - keep it up! It is nice to see a Griffon-engine Spitfire opened up like that. I'm still working on my Fujimi FR.XIVe. Nice kit but the decals are completely knackered.

Regards,

Jason

In that second photo Ben,the prop's thrust line seems to be very spinner tip down,

even more than it should be,or is it the camera angle?

It does look good though with that lovely Griffon 65 on show.

Hey Miggers,

I took a couple photos dead side on of the spinner and then overlayed it onto the profile for EB-P from the Osprey series of books. It seemed more or less fine to me, mine is just about a degree over from what I measured. I think the lack of that big upper cowl makes it look particularly bent, combined with an extremely unflattering camera angle!

Nice work, Ben - keep it up! It is nice to see a Griffon-engine Spitfire opened up like that. I'm still working on my Fujimi FR.XIVe. Nice kit but the decals are completely knackered.

Regards,

Jason

Thanks Jason!

I have some Fujimi XIV decals spare PM if interested...

Edited by wellsprop