Frog(?) Bearcat 1/72

Evening guys, i cannt wait for this GB to finaly begin!! I saw some of you already started to make topics about what they ll build, so i ll add my few cents here too if you dont mind :)

My first entry will be this F8F 1/72, thats all i can tell about it for now :) No idea who made it (could be Frog but realy i have no idea) and what version it is :) I got this kit for less than 1 euro in our local internet auction, though i dont think anyone would doubt its price :) So here are few shots of this mirracle ;)

As first, the innovative box and its awesome boxart

001.jpg

Next the instructions and so called decals. I think it ll be actualy good for both sides, me and the decals, if these never ever see water... :)

002.jpg

Sprues.

003.jpg
Theres surpisingly not that much flashing, raised panel lines. As much as i hate re-scribing, i think i might make the panel all new. Theres not so many lines and all are quite narrow, so i guess it could be ok.

Extra parts, where i would like to ask if it ll be to use it(these are from Eduard F6F, but could be useable)

004.jpg

I know you have there something like 20% of extra parts from other kits allowed (if i understood it right). Just no idea, how you count the 20% :) If it is counted by pieces or by the "mass", how much of the kit is actualy from extra parts. The most needed would be probably the engine, rest of the pieces can be made quite easy from plastic cards anyway (though it would for sure help to use these, but i dont wana go against rules)

So if any of the moderators or anyone who has some experiences from GB´s before can tell me if i can or cannt use these extra parts, it would be nice :) thanks

• Like 2

Possibly the worst box art ever in my opinion. :winkgrin: The extra parts will be fine also. The 20% was just thrown in when another member was asking about doing a whiff. Really no need to worry for your build.

Edited by snapper_city

I know what you mean. Lucky I have multiple builds on at the same time so there is always something to get on with. Like this weekend I wanted to airbrush but the wife was about so I left it till Monday when she was back at work. I got on with another build until then. Work is now keeping me occupied until Saturday. :confused:

I have TP-40K/P-40 UTI conversions (in trainers GB :) ) so i actualy have something what i should do, but i dont know whats wrong with me, i like the feeling when u are beginning fresh new build :) with all the ideas you have in your mind about how awesome you are going to make it (which usualy turns out not as awesome though.. :) ).
So i m at least gathering photos for the build. And also i think i found out what camo i ll be making .

17_2.jpg

I like to build not so usual camouflages, so this could do the work :)

• Like 1

I have TP-40K/P-40 UTI conversions (in trainers GB :) ) so i actualy have something what i should do, but i dont know whats wrong with me, i like the feeling when u are beginning fresh new build :) with all the ideas you have in your mind about how awesome you are going to make it (which usualy turns out not as awesome though.. :) ).

So i m at least gathering photos for the build. And also i think i found out what camo i ll be making .

17_2.jpg

I like to build not so usual camouflages, so this could do the work :)

Oh god. More crap from the ever so reliable Russians.

Seems that the illustrator was smoking a big fat one... :rolleyes:

No VNAF F8F's were ever painted in that colour. (They were originally Gloss Sea Blue and were subsequently stripped back to bare metal.)

As for the markings in the profile: "FL-14" buzz number??? Really??? Is he taking the p i s s ???

Ah and didn't the moron know that these were retired from service in 1959???

Scroll down the page for some photos of ACTUAL VNAF F8Fs:

http://www.vnafmamn.com/vnaf_aircraft.html

And finally a friendly advice: Ignore sites such as WINGS PALETTE (I suppose that's were you got the profile from, correct???)

well, actualy i saw this plane (or very similar looking) on some decal sheet as well. not everything what is russian made has to be wrong :) I dont know if this look was realy used during their active services, or if it was repainted for some museum :shrug: All i know i saw this image on wings palette, then tried to google about it and got this image http://th02.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/f/2012/183/b/0/b0c1c82e0828412572da189229454038-d55qp3e.jpg%C2'> and some decals. I know literaly nothing about VNAF, all i was looking for was just something diferent from dark blue.. And when i saw the decals, i thought why not..

I m not saying wings palette is something reliable. But you can see some range and variety there and you can google the rest, for just the few planes, instead of browsing through thousands and thousands images what you get if you simply type "F8F" to google... Only bcs there are not tons of info about something, doesnt mean it never existed :) I appreciate your feedback though, gave me some push to do some research and think a bit about it all yet :)

Only schemes for operational VNAF F8Fs were GSB first and bare metal later.

By 1964 any surviving F8Fs were only used as gate guards, so there is a remote possibility that one of them might have been painted that way, but there should be a photo of it somewhere.... :hmmm:

Talking of shoddy paint jobs have you seen the repaint some of the aircraft have had at the Vietnam War Remnants Museum Ho Chi Minh city. Check out post #2

A-1H%20Skyraider%20-%20Ho%20Chi%20Min%20

Let me guess: work of the same person that does Trumpeter decal artwork. :thumbsup:

A former VNAF AD-5 Skyraider preserved in another location in Vietnam had swastika kills markings painted under the cockpit... :mental: