Audi A4 DTM - Mattias Ekström 2009

kilshaw

Hello,

I'm quite new to Britmodeller, so I'll introduce myself. My name is Jake, I am 14 years old, and I live in Warwick. I mostly build Formula One cars, and you may have seen my Williams FW24 on here from a few months ago, which got a Gold at Telford in the Junior's class.

Here is my new build. I am using Revell's kit of the Timo Schneider version, however I will change the livery to replicated Mattias Ekström's 2009 Red Bull car.

In case some of you don't know, DTM (Deutsche Tourenwagen Masters) is a German touring car series. In 2009, the drivers used an Audi A4 or Mercedes C-Class. Some of the DTM drivers will be familiar to F1 fans - for example Paul di Resta, David Coulthard, Ralf Schumacher and also F1 test drivers Gary Paffett and Susie Wolff.

The conversion requires no actual modification - the only difference is the colour and decals. I am using the decals from Reji Model, which look very good.

I haven't done much work on it yet, apart from assembling the engine, gearbox, steering wheel assembly, and small parts in the cockpit. I will post more pictures when I have more progress to show.

I must say, that I have never been a fan of Revell kits, and have usually tried to avoid them - but I have read some excellent reviews of these DTM cars so I decided to give one a go! So far at least, it seems like a fantastic model - perfect fit, great detail, and excellent decals. I've liked it so much, that I've just bought another, this time, Martin Tomczyk's 2012 BMW M3.

Anyway, here are the decals I will be using:

12176396553_a85b6a5e2a_z.jpg

Which will look like this:

12176578444_71f4a40e3d_z.jpg

The decal instructions call for Tamiya TS-53 Deep Metallic Blue, however I think this is far too dark. I have instead decided to go with TS-51 Racing Blue.

Jake

• Like 1

Will be watching this thread with interest, had a look on your F1 modeling blog and the Williams you made looks fantastic, so I'm sure this will be another great piece of work! :)

I don't think Revell models are quite as bad as some people make them out to be, so hopefully you will not be disappointed with this one!

Hello,

This evening, I've made some good progress on the Audi.

At the weekend, I painted the interior parts in Tamiya TS29 Semi-Gloss Black, decanted through the airbrush. Today, I did the detail painting on the buttons and switches in the interior:

Firstly, I primed the buttons:

12209902123_91c0645157_z.jpg

image by Jake Kilshaw, on Flickr

Using a white paint-pen:

12210304896_af50c93072_z.jpg

I then used a Sharpie (for the red) and a silver gel-ink pen for the switches:

12209692245_fd85dd1893_z.jpg

I would usually have removed and replaced the moulded-in wires, however they aren't that bad, so I left them as they are.

Here is the seat, with the decals for the seatbelts. As with the wires, I did consider removing them, however the decals are actually quite good. It just needs some matt varnish to dull them down next.

12210090754_b516c33d31_z.jpg

I decided to experiment with different primers to decide which to use. The decal's instructions call for TS53, but in my opinion, this is far too dark. Instead, I've gone for TS51, which is lighter.

12210303946_af620c0b60_z.jpg

On the left, is TS51 over Tamiya White primer (this part is the chassis, and needs to be blue).

In the centre is TS51 over Tamiya Semi Gloss Black.

On the right is TS51 over Tamiya Grey primer.

I think the white is too light. I think the real car's colour is actually darker than I initially realised, so I think I will go with SG Black as a base, because I think the grey is too light.

Thanks,

Jake

Just incase you done know this but tamiya ts51 get very dark even with a few coats its what I have used for the redbull rb6 and also the williams fw24 but they both are different shades of it

Hello,

Some more progress on the A4 this weekend. Unfortunately, I have discovered that the main body shell is warped, so I need another one. I've sent Revell an email about it, and hopefully I'll get a new one. That means that I am delayed on painting the bodywork, so instead, I'm doing some work on the mechanical parts.

First, I needed to paint a small part of the chassis in the body colour. I figured that it would be OK to do this, because it isn't that important if this bit of blue is a slightly different colour to the rest of the bodywork, due to where it is. After I left it to dry overnight, I masked and painted the rest of it in TS-6 matt black.

12269106815_b152aec47a_z.jpg

And this afternoon, I have done some assembly of the engine, gearbox, and suspension. I now need to re-mask the blue, and airbrush this in TS-6 again. The reason I have painted the chassis in two parts like this, is because there are parts of the chassis that I wouldn't have been able to reach with the paint if the engine and gearbox were in place.

12269677596_3cb6e7c25b_z.jpg

I have sprayed matt varnish over the seat to dull the seatbelts decals down.

12269547204_f52ddb3c3d_z.jpg

And here are the wheels, with the fantastic tyres, with no mould lines whatsoever.

12269547594_17f1d84f8b_z.jpg

Jake

Thanks.

Slow progress on the A4, because the bodywork is warped. I sent Revell an email over a week ago, but no reply, despite my chasing them three times.

Anyway, the interior is now finished. Here you go: ;-)

12414807375_b97a1420ea_z.jpg

12414807595_b07532b702_z.jpg

12415293254_8200d9d64c_z.jpg

Jake

Right then.

I've had a reply from Revell (finally) about the replacement part for the Audi, and they say it will be 4-6 weeks (!). There is no more work that I can do on it until I get this part (body shell), so I have boxed it up, and I will come back to it in a few weeks (or months) when I get the part.

I've not got loads of time at the moment, so I think for the time being I will start the EBBRO Lotus 49, but just build the engine at the moment, as a sort of 'mini-project'.

Jake

• 2 weeks later...
Luckily, Revell was able to find a part for me, so I have got it much sooner.

Here are some pictures of the progress so far:

12618433833_d9e2b825cf_z.jpg

I have painted the body work with TS51 and TS17, and I started to decal. The aftermarket decals from REJI are fantastic - possibly the best I've ever used.

The interior:

12618738294_c6243f8f62_z.jpg

The first part I decalled was the engine cover. By the way, it is glossier in real life than it looks on the photos - I still haven't got the hang of getting the best photos yet ;-)

12618314405_f5a9b87ee0_z.jpg

Here you can see the silver on the roof, which I painted before the blue.

12618432343_b51844ca2f_z.jpg

Thanks,

Jake