Revell 1:24 Routemaster with lighting

Hi Everyone
I have posted this previously but Flickr have been taken over and changed all of their sign in details and I cannot now access my pics. I am in the process of uploading them to a new Flickr account and this kit was the first one I did. As I have had so much interest from this build I thought it would be better to post this as a new topic rather than try to go through all of my posts to replace the pictures. The links to both albums can be found below along with a video of the working lights. The first link is the finished build and second link shows how I built the bus and shows most of the methods I used to do it.
I have built the kit twice now, once out of the box and the second with the lighting, but I am seriously considering getting another one as I have new idea's and ways to do the lighting better. 
I will say that it is one of Revell's best kits as it fits together so well and there are so many possible modding opportunities for it and I some of it was hard work and very fiddly but the end result is worth it.
I hope you enjoy this updated post and I hope it inspires others to 'have a go'. 

Finished Build HERE

How-to Pics HERE
Video HERE

Regards

Kevin

RM102

RM117 RM108 RM115 RM120 RM122 RM130 RM134 RM137 RM144 RM152 RM158 My beautiful picture RM174 RM64 RM58 RM19 RM24

Edited by ukmodeller
Renew pictures
  • Like 5

I am not a model vehicle fan per se, but I just love this. Looking at the illuminated interior invokes sounds, smells and visions buried deep in my memory

Lovely - I did think about doing lighting for mine as I'd found some really tiny LEDs, but in the end I couldn't be bothered :) This looks superb.

Edit: needs some dirt though ;)

Edited by Kallisti

Really nice to see something a little different with this model.

I've got it hidden away in my stash and you've tempted me to do something similar.

Love the darker pics with the lights on, particularly the interior ones.

It brings back memories of evening trips, dark, foggy, damp, and the bus was always flippin' cold! - when I was a little nipper, with my mum and dad when we lived in Dagenham.

Great stuff.

Roy.

That looks superb with the lights, have a few of these in the stash, and would be very proud if I could turn one out to this kind of standard.

Paul

Love it! Brings back trips on the ... 117 and 285. Those seats were murder to sit on in shorts, itchy as hell! I remember the week they started 'round Feltham.

Lighting and interior is very good. That grill mesh...does it fall apart when cutting or is each wire joint bonded? It looks quite good anyway. Well done and thanks for bringing some memories back!

Edited by bzn20

Wow! I am very humbled by all of your kind comments, guys. Many thanks.

It seems that my intention is working as others are now thinking of attempting something similar. I thoroughly searched the Internet but found only one other person in Germany that had lit their Routemaster. The problem was that he had used Bright White lights and that just did not look right on something that was remembered from the 60's onwards (I was only born in 1958 so don't remember much before then).

If you view the video, turn the sound up as you will hear that unique sound of the RM engine.

I'm glad too that it has invoked many memories from other members who are old enough to remember traveling on these beasts. The unique smell (no, not like todays buses that smell of wee), the throb of the engine, the dull internal lighting, the cold drafts from the rear platform, that unique 'ting' of the bell strap and, of course, the nicotine stained ceilings.

On the other hand, who can forget hanging on for dear life on the rear platform and swinging outwards as the bus turned a corner or running behind it desperately trying to grab that pole and pull yourself aboard (sometimes with the help of the conductor) as the bus pulled away? Or even running upstairs and listening for the conductor before running downstairs again and jumping off without paying (well, we were all young once)?

Anyway, I hope to upload some of the photo's that I took as I built it, along with hints and tips of how I managed to fit everything in for those who want to give it a try and will probably put them into the Vehicle Modelling (non-military) / Work In Progress - Vehicles section.

Thanks again guys for your kind comments and encouragement. I will be spending a few hours looking at other members kits to see if there is another project for me to try. Meanwhile, I hope to upload the Cityliner photos soon(lit of course).

Regards

Kevin

Nice job, the lights look great. Warm White is a good way to describe it, I'd have said something along the lines of a dim Dirty Yellow glow. :lol:

Lovely - I did think about doing lighting for mine as I'd found some really tiny LEDs, but in the end I couldn't be bothered

I thought about it when I did mine, but like yourself, couldn't be bothered... I have another that I will get around to at some point (as soon as I've decided what colour), and I plan to light that one.

Brings back trips on the ... 117 and 285.

:thumbsup:

I've ridden on the 117 many times. Hounslow - Feltham, and occasionally the other way to Chiswick (to school), until it was withdrawn from that route, in favour of the 237. ;)

That's really nice - very atmospheric indeed!!

Without at least a driver & clippie aboard though it looks a bit like a spooky ghost bus...!! :winkgrin:

Really terrific model!

Apologies about the driver and clippie but, as in life, the driver was making a quick visit to his girlfriend who lives near the turnaround point and the clippie was behind the bus taking a wee................lol.

Seriously though, I hope to spend some time re-doing the pictures at some point to give them more atmosphere.

• Like 1

Nice job, the lights look great. Warm White is a good way to describe it, I'd have said something along the lines of a dim Dirty Yellow glow. :lol:

I thought about it when I did mine, but like yourself, couldn't be bothered... I have another that I will get around to at some point (as soon as I've decided what colour), and I plan to light that one.

:thumbsup:

I've ridden on the 117 many times. Hounslow - Feltham, and occasionally the other way to Chiswick (to school), until it was withdrawn from that route, in favour of the 237. ;)

And the 237? We moved from lower Feltham to near Shepperton and still on the 237 route! They were all single deckers then, Hounslow to Esher.