Red Lavochkin La-7, 1/72, Eduard

Good evening guys, i would like to share with you few shots of my last finished kit. It was built just OOB as kind of relax build and i had some problems during the process, but i thought i would share it anyway, as there are not many russian warbird kits on BM.

As i said, it was ment as quick OOB build. Thanks to the time i was spending on it (like few mins/day when i had free time from my other projects), it took me pretty few weeks to build, but if we ll speak about the real time spent on it, it could be something like 6-8 hours (speaking about the build, not paint), where most of the time took the cockpit + everything about it and fuselage/wing fit.

The Eduard kit is pretty nice - i got cheap dual combo profipack version (it was missing some not-so important parts, masks and all clear parts), bought Rob Taurus vacu canopy for it and decided to build one of these just as OOB quick build (also bcs it was missing the few parts). Only things i made new for it were : gunsight, some stuff behind seat (only poor part of the kit as there is one big hole), gear doors for the tail wheel and the metal strips around cowling(made from can). There were only two bigger problems with the kit : the fuselage/wing fit was not good, but a bit of sanding/cuting while dry fiting sorted this. Second was the decals.. the colours are off-set at stars and some symbols.

As for the marking, this La-7 was originaly in the usual grey/grey russian late fighter camouflage, but based on the sources i did read, somewhere between april-may 1945 it was repainted red on the top surface. I thought i ll make the kit to look like from this time, so theres not much weathering as the paint was not so old yet. Though the front side of cowling was red also on the original look so i did a bit of chipping there and a bit of chipping on the most used parts - the canopy rails, plates covering the guns. The inside of cockpit and wheel bay is quite dirty as it was not repainted. Thanks to the problems with decals, i had to repaint some of the off-set white around stars and i needed to paint new lines around the cowling heart symbol. Thats the worst part and if you asked me to do it again, i would not.. would rather get some silver pencil for it or so.. painting thin line with acrylic white was realy pain for me and my shaking fingers, so try to close eyes when u look that way :) Also, around the number on fuselage is some mark, set+sol+12-15 layers of varnish didnt help to cover it :weep:

So, here it is. Built for fun and to have something special between my kits :) Hope you ll like it at least a bit. The photos are in my usual "quality", the best i can make , sorry :(

017.jpg

019.jpg

020.jpg

021.jpg

022.jpg

023.jpg

025.jpg

027.jpg

030.jpg

031.jpg

032.jpg

Thanks for watching and any feedback is welcome :) Do not worry, there is a lot to be criticised so go on if you have anything to say :)

• Like 11

For saying you had the problems with it, it''s turned out brilliantly! I'm not sure I'd have had the patience. Nice to see something different as well.

Well done!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

thanks guys :)

to stix - i knew i HAVE TO finish it, bcs i need to clean by bench for incomming projects, so it was the power pushing me forward :)

to erik - thanks, and once more ty for support on my short WIP :) when i m taking shots for RFI, i m using more lamps for better light, so it might be the diference :)

Thanks Jason:) i have to say as much as my most favourite planes are hawkers "bad weather flight" (hurri, tempest, typhoon :) ), the La(GG) serie, mainly -5/-7 are realy great looking planes. They say in simplicity is power and for La-5/7 it totaly works. :)

Super! Red! Airplane!! :bounce:

I love it here as I get to see great builds of aircraft I had no idea existed. :)

That's jolly nice indeed. Very pretty in red, a nice 1/72nd build indeed with just a tad of subtle weathering that does help it look bigger than it actually is. Great! :goodjob:

• Like 1