GB Chat ~ We Have A Winner ~

Hey guys, i would like to ask, if i could change the subject(s) of my less than a tenner GB. The reason is, while i was finishing other builds, to be able to focus on this GB, i kind of lost interest in the two kits i joined here (i want to build these one day but you know, right now i miss that "CANNT WAIT TO DO IT" feeling). And building something like that would result in somewhat tacky finish..

I would like to focus on 1/72 Tamiya Mosquito, which i got from second hand for 280,- CZK, which is something around £9. But i ll wait for your agreement guys with this step, as you said you dont want some big tamiya kits here (and also because the price of new kit is somehow 40-50% higher).

You should know better than to tempt fate with words like that.

Well fate was tempted. I tried airbrushing some Citadel red and things went from bad to worse. It wasn't spraying well and I made the fatal mistake of removing the needle with paint in the cup. The result I had red paint from front to back of the airbrush which required a FULL strip down. It has also told me I need to get an ultra sonic cleaner as I just couldn't get all the paint out of it. I followed this by trying another Citadel colour but in a much smaller quantity thinned again with screen wash. Same result I just couldn't get it to spray properly until it was way too thin. Total disaster. Finally I thought enough of this, time to spray some Vallejo black. Nothing can go wrong with this. So I start shaking the paint bottle and the wife calls saying she isn't feeling well at work. Can I go pick her up and take her to the doctors. With all the flooding going on around here it took ages to make all the journeys and by the time I got home it was almost time for modelling club. Not a bad end to the day but a day's modelling defiantly wasted... Also a Minicraft 1:144 B-29 picked up for £2.

Hey guys, i would like to ask, if i could change the subject(s) of my less than a tenner GB. The reason is, while i was finishing other builds, to be able to focus on this GB, i kind of lost interest in the two kits i joined here (i want to build these one day but you know, right now i miss that "CANNT WAIT TO DO IT" feeling). And building something like that would result in somewhat tacky finish..

I would like to focus on 1/72 Tamiya Mosquito, which i got from second hand for 280,- CZK, which is something around £9. But i ll wait for your agreement guys with this step, as you said you dont want some big tamiya kits here (and also because the price of new kit is somehow 40-50% higher).

That will be fine. Just start a new thread for the Mosquito. I saw one of these change hands last night at the model club I go to for less than a tenner also.

Question: What do people thin Citadel paints with for spraying? I have been using screen wash with mixed results ending in total disaster yesterday.

Edited by snapper_city
  • Like 1

Same result I just couldn't get it to spray properly until it was way too thin.

Question: What do people thin Citadel paints with for spraying? I have been using screen wash with mixed results ending in total disaster yesterday.

No experience with Citadel, but as I have done a lot of experimenting with (i think) similarly temperamental Xtracrylix/Agama and Revell over the last few days: No such thing as "way too thin". You have to go way thin. And then build up the paint coat starting with very fine misted layers. (You have to avoid by all means building up a closed wet layer. So the mist must be fine enough so as to dry almost immediately.)

I also thin with screen wash / water mix (50/50). In those experiments I added 10..15% retarder. (Couldn't be any less as I mixed in the cup in quantities of 7..10 drops. So I can't say if less retarder would be enough.)

Re "defiantly"

SCNR. Pet peeve of mine. (well, the 'definately' variant, anyway.)

Edited by Hotel Papa
  • Like 1

Oh no! I honestly never bothered to look at the closing date for this GB until now,with my third entry about finished and most of my twenty odd stash

under a tenner I could build the lot so I hope no one minds a few more entries.I have a few kits that are not often seen here in 1/72 so a few I am thinking

of are Hobbyboss sabre in camoflage Luftwaffe service,Mig 3 and F106G from academy( in Italian markings) and a definite one, the new Hobbyboss

Petlyakov PE2 which for an easy kit is a stunner.

Edited by stevej60

Oh no! I honestly never bothered to look at the closing date for this GB until now,with my third entry about finished and most of my twenty odd stash

under a tenner I could build the lot so I hope no one minds a few more entries.I have a few kits that are not often seen here in 1/72 so a few I am thinking

of are Hobbyboss sabre in camoflage Luftwaffe service,Mig 3 and F106G from academy( in Italian markings) and a definite one, the new Hobbyboss

Petlyakov PE2 which for an easy kit is a stunner.

The more the better. :thumbsup:

I've found the Citadel paints difficult to airbrush as well - they seem to separate a bit with X20-A, and I had constant problems with tip dry. My best results were probably from mixing them with Golden airbrush medium, which I suspect has a lot of retarder in it since the paint film took a *long* time to dry. They ended up somewhere between eggshell and gloss, and the paint sank into the details nicely and remained robust despite looking like there was too much on initially.

Mostly I try and match the Citadel colours with Tamiya if I want to spray...

Will

• Like 1

Depends on the thinner used (they usually contain retarders already). But if you have tip dry problems, additonal retarder can help. You know it has been too much when the paint doesn't dry...

In one of the videos on self-made thinners on youtube the author makes a very valid comment on why to mix yourself: control. You know what's in there, and why. And you can vary composition accordingly.

Edited by Hotel Papa

I will defiantly agree with the know what you are going for. Even though I have 80 odd kits on my wishlist many of which I saw. There was many many others that I could have walked out with. Luckily my misses is very good when it comes to modelling so I would have no issues taking her. The only thing I would worry about is she would be getting bored after an hour of being there. I'm very tempted to go there at some point in the future with £200 - £300 to spend and no idea what I'm going for. It could be amazing fun or hugely stressful. I have shown some pics from my visit HERE. Just scroll down the thread.

Not to Highjack Stew thread further. I took my beer into the "Pub" area :cheers:

Those photo's you posted. I'm green of envy. I think the smart thing doing, when visiting this place is to carry cash only and leave the Credit card at home. I wouldn't know where to start if I had £300 to shop from in there. :frantic:

No doubt that 3-4 hours would go fast

I was making a mental note in my head of a no limits shop. After I guessed I had filled a transit van I stopped. So so many things to look at I can imagine things could get out of hand. Especially when 2-3 kits can cost you £100 say.

• Like 1

Would it still be possible to enter the GB? If so, I'd like to enter it with one of the ICM Ki-27 kits:

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/ICM72202

Building this one up would help me decide if I should stick with ICM kits or another brand for future Ki-27s.

Very welcome. Start a thread and join the fun.

Hi there!

Another late comer here, hoping to participate in my first ever GB. Got the Revell 1/72 Me262B on the way in the post, got it for only £150 as it has no engines. Scratch building the engine atm :)

Ben.

Dread to think how much it would have been with engines ;)

Would you mind if I join the group build? I've ordered a Revell 1:48 BF 109 F-2/4 for less than a tenner off amazon?

• Like 1