1:32 HobbyBoss Spitfire Vb

Currently building the HobbyBoss Spitfire in support of a 1:1 project - pretty well straight kit - bar additional Eduard Sutton Harness, Hasegawa Rotol prop and mainwheels..

Bit of a curates egg this one - and I had tried transplanting the Hasegawa Canopy onto it (as shown in photo's) but have gone back to the kit windshield now. Sliding canopy will probably be Hasegawa...

Should get paint on over next few days - have to deliver a week on Monday...

IMG_0796.jpg

IMG_0797.jpg

Iain

• Like 1

Cheers Mark, Radleigh..

Not best images - just quickies in kitchen - looks better in natural light.

Colours are the Tamiya ones they brought out with the release of their 1:32 Mk IX - straight from bottles (+ thinner).

XF-81Dark Green, XF-82 Ocean Gray 2, XF-83 Medium Sea Gray - with Quick Shine for a gloss coat.

I like the look of the colours - good to my eyes anyway...

Camouflage marked with Blu Tack 'snakes' and sprayed perpendicular to surface to make it pretty tight - with just a hint of softness/overspray.

Iain

Yup - one of the barrels slightly off in pix - just loosely placed.

She won't be weathered much - panel lines/exhaust done - oil streaks/dirt to add. Spec is to keep her fairly clean...

Iain

Ahh great, many thanks, i already use tamiya paints and swear by them but being dead matt, assume that in the pre decal shots its already got its gloss coat then?

If so, is quick shine a varnish or similar to future?

Quick Shine - sprays beautifully (and thinly) straight from the bottle - best clear acrylic finish I've used yet.

Needs to be built up in thin layers - there are about 4 coats on the Spit prior to decals.

647-1281.jpg

Far superior to Future/Kleer/Clear in my experience.

Others' mileage may vary!

Iain

• 2 weeks later...

Finishing touches to the airframe this evening - base painted satin black (has clear dome) - and calling it quits on figure (not very good at figures - first one in years - more practice needed - please be gentle!) - but goes nicely with model.

IMG_0812.jpg

IMG_0813.jpg

IMG_0814.jpg

Getting delivered this week - will take some RFI pix before she goes.

And weathering subtle - she'll be representing a warbird restoration project that I'm involved in :)

Iain

Nice build, I want to build the Trop version - or at least complete building one since I abandoned my attempt at converting it to a Vc last year. There is a PE set for the HobbyBoss Vb which adds some nice extras and which I robbed some bits fom during my Spitfire IX build recently.

Cheers Colin - i think ;)

Has given me the bug to try more - practice, practice, practice I guess...

Hiya Kallisti - it's not a bad kit is it? There are some shape errors - but looks like a Spit V...

Iain

My favourite bit of this kit is the fact that you can open the radio hatch and see whats inside :)

I like the restrained weathering you have done, I struggle with that as I just want to make mine more and more dirty... ooerr missus!