1/32 super detailed 'Nam A-1H Skyraider - updated 21/10 - DONE!

richdlc

• 1 month later...

*update 10th July 2014*

Hi again - time for an update..

I've spent the past few weeks working on the rear of the engine. It's been a frustrating time, as I have tried to get images of this area showing how all the wires and tubes hook up. Most of my photos are like this:

P1000780_zps0615dae7.jpg

P1000793_zps65e08fe1.jpg

Lots of exterior details, but no views of the heart of the accessory compartment. I can see glimpses of certain wires, but have no idea where they begin or terminate - very frustrating. I have enlisted the help of a couple of people who own Skyraiders & requested photos - however they are busy people, and until they get back to me I can only build what I can see. I have used a little guesswork here and there (for example with the carburettor) but there is still a lot of work to do.

Here's where I am up to as of last night:

IMG_0015_zpsd94821b8.jpg

IMG_9997_zpsdadf5b4c.jpg

IMG_0012_zpsb24e2960.jpg

IMG_0008_zps0b42fc78.jpg

IMG_0009_zps58434950.jpg

IMG_0006_zpse45f5846.jpg

IMG_0005_zps58e2b3ab.jpg

IMG_0004_zps37227ed3.jpg

IMG_0003_zps054b1774.jpg

IMG_9999_zpsc005d0ad.jpg

Hopefully by the next update I will have been sent the images I requested & finished the rear of the engine. I can then concentrate on the front end!

Comments and questions welcomed as always

cheers,

Rich

• Like 3

One day in the next 500 years maybe just maybe I might gain enough skill to produce something with about a quarter of this talent..........

nah who am I kidding. Superb work there, keep it up

• 1 month later...

*update 15/8/14*

Hi guys - a quick update. Whilst waiting for some detail photos of the engine bay to arrive from my contact, I decided to tackle the canopy control system and the rocket motor for the Yankee ejector seat.

Here's a couple of pics so you can see what needed to be done:

dnhn_zpsf59d52af.png

Here you can see the rocket motor on the right hand side - the cables run along a cable guide and disappear into the back of the seat. I'll add the cables at a later date.

cadwvswfrv_zpsc474bff1.png

qerg_zpsc76d4b78.png

I made all the necessary parts from plastic sheet, strip and rod, pewter sheet and some fuse wire of various sizes. As usual, everything is made by eye so there may be some parts that are either slightly over or under scale.

IMG_0675_zpse162e738.jpg

IMG_0674_zps22bd720d.jpg

IMG_0668_zpsbf0446bb.jpg

IMG_0669_zpsf7838168.jpg

IMG_0670_zps97df05ac.jpg

IMG_0672_zps60164c42.jpg

IMG_0677_zpsde4864f0.jpg

IMG_0678_zps5c429c9a.jpg

IMG_0679_zps1db77469.jpg

and a quick check to make sure the canopy still fits over it all!

IMG_0673_zps27ff5d8d.jpg

It should be noted that there is usually a canvas boot covering the left side of the entire assembly. I found a photo in Squadron Signal's Walk Around book showing it removed from an A1-H. Although it would probably be unusual to remove it, I couldn't resist showing off the detail.

More to come soon - I'm currently experimenting with casting the engine cylinders from resin, all very mysterious but rewarding..

Rich

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

*update 21/10/14*

Hi again. This will be my final update on the big Spad as it is now FINISHED!

I'll talk you through the final stages of construction, painting, decaling and weathering…

My last update had the main parts assembled and primed for painting. After that it was a simple case of slapping some colour on the model (or so I thought). I'm still relatively new to airbrushing, but I was quite pleased with how the 3-tone SEA cam came out. At first I was stressing about some touch ups I brush-painted in various places. However, two things helped calm me down - firstly, the extreme fatigue that a tropical climate has on paint schemes (requiring constant touch ups and cleaning) and secondly the fact that a few coats of future helped to even things out considerably.

Unfortunately I forgot to check the separate errata sheet that Zotz includes with its decal sheet (my model depicts 'Miss Eileen' of the 1st SOS) - the designers had noticed that some of the tan markings were wrong on the initial instructions. I only realised this much later (doh!) - so some of the tan paint you see on the left rear of the fuselage isn't the correct pattern…

I also made a mistake with the commanders stripes on either side of the fuselage. I found the Zotz decals to be pretty thick, requiring lots of setting agent (no disrespect intended to the designers). I also found that the shade of tan didn't quite match the one I used. I decided that it would be easier and look nicer if I painted these markings on, which I duly did. Unfortunately, after masking off stripes on the right hand side, I then removed the wrong masked ones to paint the markings! So the stripes on the right hand side are 3mm further back than those on the left. Oh well!

I made yet another mistake when I used the wrong tail codes - Zotz provides replacement codes for erroneous ones on the main decal sheet, again mentioning this on the errata sheet. I simply missed this bit of info! After accidentally screwing up the erroneous codes too (don't ask) I decided to hand-paint the tail codes using home made masks. I think the end result is that they look more realistic (well, to my eye anyway). They are slightly haphazard, and look 'painted on' - which was my intention. They just lack the tan surround that they are supposed to have, and which is correctly shown in Zotz's replacement decals. Again, I decided it wasn't that bad. And if I hadn't mentioned it, you wouldn't know, right? :-0

One final error occurred when I gave the tailplane a coat of dullcote. The left side was fine. The right side frosted horribly. I decided to sand it down with very fine sandpaper, and now it just looks like 'washed out' and faded paint (er, I think) - in fact it's quite a pleasing effect, and if I had more time to experiment I might have tried it elsewhere…. but it's a risky tactic!!

Once painting and decaling was complete, I turned to weathering. The Skyraider has distinctive exhaust stains, in some cases this is very extreme and gives the aircraft it's own 'weathering' along the fuselage sides. Add rain streaks and oil spillage (the engine was notorious for leaking oil) and you have a recipe for a very dirty plane. If you recall, I added 'oil canning' to the aircraft. I also riveted the entire airframe where applicable. I therefore had ready made 'troughs and peaks' over which to apply the exhaust / oil stains. On the Skyraider, the stains stayed on the 'peaks' and skipped over the 'troughs' in the fuselage skin. In extreme cases, the whole fuselage side was a mass of black stains. Here's a picture to illustrate what I mean:

Screenshot2014-10-21at154412_zps727251ee

I started by masking off the 'troughs' and then airbrushing a dirty black / brown mixture on the fuselage sides. Whilst it was still drying, I started to create the streaked effect. Because the masks I used had straight edges, I had to blur them. The whole process involved removing / thinning the exhaust stains until I was happy. At a later stage, pastels were used to feather certain edges. A brush loaded with slightly diluted Raw Umber oil paint was held in from of my airbrush nozzle with the airflow set to about 25 psi. This spattered oil paint all over the place, and it was then blended in as appropriate. The end result is one filthy mess. At first I was concerned I'd overdone it (it's very difficult to get right) and I know it won't be to everyone's taste. However, I know that crew chiefs either kept the aircraft very clean….or they really let it go. Most Skyraiders show exhaust / oil stains somewhere in between the two extremes. It's important to note that the engine wasn't considered to be functioning properly unless it was leaking oil. Coming from an armour background, I couldn't resist making this one dirty, leaky engine. After all, the small vignette I have planned will be called 'An Overdue Overhaul' (I've already ordered the name plaque to be made! )

I found out from my source at the Tennessee Aviation Museum that he often has the Skyraider's dive brakes open whilst performing maintenance. So I can categorically say that Skyraider models with open dive brakes are NOT unrealistic (provided they are shown in context I guess). Unfortunately, I gleaned this information at a very late date, by which time I had already glued the ones on the fuselage sides shut…so all that nice Eduard etched detail is forever entombed inside my Spad… I did manage to leave the lower fuse dive brake off until I'd finished everything else (as the recess makes an excellent place to grip the model) so I depicted it as open. As Skyraiders were originally USN machines, I figured the inside must be red. Even if I'm wrong, it adds a nice touch of colour.

Anyway, I'm waffling. Here are some photos of the finished model. The removed wing will be displayed on a small trolley I'm scratching at the moment. There will be one figure on the base to show scale, as well as removed engine panels. I'll update the thread once the vignette is finished.

IMG_1544_zps942300cc.jpg

IMG_1545_zps6bfdfeef.jpg

you can see more pics in the ready for inspection forum

cheers!

Edited by richdlc
  • Like 1