Finished - KP Aero C-3A / Siebel Si 204 by Dylan aged 8

JOCKNEY

Ha ha, good one, mine was trying to get the 2 fuselage halves together with turrets, tail wheel, rear gunner and bomb doors etc falling out, being in the wrong place etc, and lots of gluie fingerprints all over it. First big bomber lived on the bedroom ceiling for many years being attacked by me109's on one side and zeros on the other

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone

We have had a bit of a set back, one of the undercarriage covers has become a victim of the carpet monster, mums denying everything. I have put a post in the wanted section......

Cheers Pat

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone

We have been saved at the 11th hour by @Jinxman, (Scott) who posted a door for us, this has now been fitted, and the mandatory yellow fuselage stripe added, then tonight the decals will be added.

Thanks Scott really appreciated

Cheers Pat

Nice build Dylan! A much better job than my first model many many years ago.

If you think Dad's up to it you could try painting a piece of unused decal the right colour and then putting strips onto the canopy with a coat of gloss varnish to seal them. If it goes wrong just peel it off and try again.

Those Novo baggies bring back memories for sure!!

Great work Dylan

Last year, I found out the my son's girlfriend's grandfather 'borrowed' an Si-204 to escape from Communist Czechoslovakia. Great to see one of these built.

• Like 1

Great work Dylan

Last year, I found out the my son's girlfriend's grandfather 'borrowed' an Si-204 to escape from Communist Czechoslovakia. Great to see one of these built.

Hi Sundowner

You can't leave us in suspense,,what were the circumstances of his need to escape, where did he flee to and what happened to him after he arrived.....

Cheers Pat

Pat,

There are a few stories here; http://fcafa.wordpress.com/2011/03/01/they-flew-to-freedom-1949/

The pertinent one is down the page, but for you and Dylan;

"22 April 1949, escape by Czechoslovak Air Force officers:

On 22 April 1949 Jaroslav Muzika ex-313 Sqd. S/Ldr pilot, Oldřich Filip ex-311 Sqd. F/Lt navigator, Miroslav Latovka ex-311 Sqd. F/Lt navigator and Jaroslav Nýč ex-311 Sqd. W/O escaped with their wives and children. They were all serving officers in the Czechoslovak Air Force and the escape had been carefully organized by Jaroslav Muzika over a long period.

Cpt. Jaroslav Nýč was based at the Czechoslovak Air Force Military Aviation Academy at Hradec Kralove, where he was a Staff Captain and a navigation instructor. He was the only one of the four airmen who had not been grounded by the Communist authorities. On 22 April 1949, he took off from Pardubice military airfield for a routine patrol flight in a Siebel Si 204, a twin engined German light bomber/reconnaissance aircraft being used by the Czechoslovak Air Force for training.

Shortly after the start of the flight, he set course for Náchod near Vysokov, a small flying club airfield about 60 km away. There Lt. Col. Jaroslav Muzika, Staff Captain Oldřich Filip, Staff Captain Miroslav Latovka, their four wives and two children were waiting. They had arrived at a nearby forest the day before, with rucksacks so as not to attract any attention to themselves and stayed in the forest overnight. The next morning it was raining and whilst it was still dark they went to a remote area of the airfields perimeter fence, and cut through it. A security guard at the airstrip became suspicious so the three airmen knocked him unconscious, disarmed him and tied him up. They then cut the telephone wires to the airstrips building and went to a pre-arranged place on the airfield where they hid until the arrival of Nýčs aircraft.

When Nýč landed, he taxied to the pre-arranged spot, the escape party came out of their hiding place and quickly boarded the aircraft. Despite being overloaded, they took off, set course for the Czechoslovak Western border. Security Police were seen running to their aircraft at an airfield near Mariánské Lázně which was used specifically for the prevention of escapes to the West. It was, however, too late for them to stop the escaping aircraft. Once the Czechoslovak border had been crossed it was a short flight over the Russian Zone of Germany until they were in the safe airspace of the American Zone. They now set course for England and landed at Manston, Kent, this part of the flight being without any problems.

The four ex-RAF airmen denied Czechoslovak claims that they stole the aircraft, and said they had only borrowed it. The fuel that had used in the escape was compensation for the six years the four pilots had risked their lives for Czechoslovakia during WW2. The aircraft was later returned to Czechoslovakia."

I'm currently putting the finishing touches to Jaroslav Muzika's Spitfire. I was gobsmacked when his son told me this story over dinner.

• Like 1

Thanks for an amazing story Sundowner, you have to find out more about the aircraft and build it, but I would like with your permission, to dedicate this build to the successful escapees, Dylan agrees so if you are ok with that we shall pretend our Siebel is the one they got away in. Now we need to know what the police were going to chase them in so we can put both up on his bedroom ceiling !

Cheers Pat & Dylan

• Like 1

Hi everyone

Dylan has finished the Siebel, not as good as we would have liked but we are down at his Gran & Grandpas so limited in what we had with us.

The decals went on really well, and he managed to get them all on without too many mishaps, attempts to touch the paint up only showed we had brought the wrong colour down with us, and yes the yellow is a little messy but, there's a fine line between making things better and taking his confidence away, so better to encourage him to get the next one better.......

For the purist, I suggest you move onto another posting ! However if you are still with us the decals are a mixture chosen by Dylan, yes the tail marking are too big but his choices remember, no offence caused to anyone I hope.

I had intended to get him to give it a coat of clear but, will sort the wrong colour out first, watch out for it in the Aircraft section.

Finally thank you for all the encouragement, throughout the build it's been really appreciated, Dylan is off to the Korean War GB to resurrect an old Airfix Firefly of mine, he just doesn't know it yet !

Cheers Pat

imagejpg4_zps893479c8.jpg

imagejpg5_zps7c1cbe74.jpg

imagejpg2_zps9411bbfe.jpg

imagejpg3_zps8560f150.jpg

imagejpg1_zps92d7281e.jpg

• Like 1