A318 'Baby' Airbus conversion. Frontier Airlines

The A318 is the smallest of the Airbus family of airliners, although it has not sold as well as its bigger brothers and several have had comparitively short service lives. I guess that the operating costs are very similar to the A319 and A320, and yet the passenger carrying capacity is somewhat reduced, making it less profitable to run on a variety of routes.

It is an attractive little aeroplane, and I wanted one in my collection to go with the A319's, A320's, and A321's that I already have.
The options are to use an injection moulded kit from Eastern Express which has had unflattering reviews, or a Welsh Models mixed media kit, or a fuselage from Contrails to use with the Revell kit. A fourth option, and the one I chose, is to take a Revell A319 kit and a razor saw to do your own conversion, the main points of which are to shorten the fuselage fore and aft of the wing, and raise the height of the tail fin.Details here

Draw Decals do a number of interesting options for Frontier airlines, who feature various examples of American wildlife on their tailfins, a set of which was obtained from Greg at Draw during last years Telford show. The decals go on very well, and reproduce this scheme to perfection. If you dont fancy chopping up a kit, Draw also do other Frontier schemes for the A319 'straight from the box'.

It's quite good fun to do your own conversion and make something a little more unusual, I certainly had fun doing this and special thanks are due to Jonathan (member XV571) for helping out with information that I would otherwise have missed!

Time for the photos;

Stu47_zps38967e70.jpg

Stu48_zps7e5d9beb.jpg

Stu50_zps0f45f5fa.jpg

Stu51_zpsd8572aad.jpg

Stu52_zpsfb5fb32b.jpg

With an A319, also using Draw Decals 'Chloe' the fawn;

Stu53_zpsd1b85eda.jpg

The A318/9/20/21 family, all basically the same aircraft with longer and longer fuselages. All from Revell kits;

A318 (Draw Decals)

Stu46_zps8b610c9c.jpg

A319 (Draw Decals)

Stu45_zpsd91e2a49.jpg

A320 (Bangkok Air, Boa Decals)

Stu44_zps05513ad9.jpg

A321 (First Choice, Twosix Decals)

Stu43_zps7fe4b255.jpg

Thanks for looking,

John

• Like 10

Another little masterpiece John :thumbsup: - glad my pointers were useful. The A318 has suffered from being too much aircraft for its size, just like the 737-600. I think both Boeing and Airbus hoped that fleet commonality would outweigh operating costs but they can't really compete economically with purpose designed 100 seat aircraft like the Embraer 190/195. The aircraft has found a niche as a business jet though and I think BA quite like it for the premium service LCY-JFK route.

Looking forward to your next project.

Beautifully done - I was taking notes during your WIP too. I have the Welsh Models A318 but was have also been thinking about a cut and shut like this. Your hard work has certainly paid off.

Tom

Hi John, excellent build thread and superbly finished model.

Sadly your build came too late to rescue me as I'd already started on an Eastern Express A318 kit. The EE kit is such a poor moulding and fit that it took a huge effort to get it to look anything decent. Having seen your build it would have been far simpler to convert a Revell kit. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Cheers

Tim

Love it!

Frontier are always fun--the baby penguins are the wife's fav...I'll probably have to have a go if Draw come out with that one...

Thank you for all the feedback, hopefully the WIP shows that these conversions aren't too scary, especially as I picked up the kit half price in a Modelzone sale.

Sadly your build came too late to rescue me as I'd already started on an Eastern Express A318 kit. The EE kit is such a poor moulding and fit that it took a huge effort to get it to look anything decent.

Thats what I heard Tim, it seemed like a better bet to cut & shut a Revell A319. Once you can do it, it opens the door to making all sorts of other variants of airliners like 737 NG's, DC-8's, DC-9's etc.

Cheers

John

• 2 weeks later...