Jump to content

Airfix Vampire T.11 (how original...)


Recommended Posts

Ladies and gentlemen, I have started the Airfix kit. As hoped, it's better than the Harrier GR.7, at least, it goes without filler so far. Firstly, the proof of the beginning:

1-start_zps914bc85e.jpg

I will build the version with the yellow bands, as I already planned a Gannet and the Gnat with the orange panels. By the way, is it possible to build the preservation group version just without the website on the boom? Or is this a fictional paint scheme?

I started with the intake, done with Revell Aluminium acrylics, brush painted. It looks OK so far. The fan just needs a bit of washing, just in case.

2-einlass_zps081bfa6d.jpg

Next job are the seats. I just added some small parts, modeled the parachute cover(?) on top with some Tamiya putty, and added a wire for the ejection handle. Photo is slightly out of focus, but you get the idea, I hope. Oh, and no pilots.

3-sitz_zpsbfe4b878.jpg

Tonight, I airbrushed the black interiour parts, and tomorrow they will get the drybrushing. So far a really nice kit!

Alex

Edited by alex
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

My doughter is playing with her dolls, so I had some time to do the interior. A Drybrush with Revell 57 (grey), some coloured handles and the cockpit walls look like that:

4-interieur1_zps0c86cbbc.jpg

same for the floor, with some silver to show the worn off places in front of the pedals:

5-interieur2_zps57cb3d57.jpg

The seats got the same treatment, and so far they look nice. Not sure about the inside: should I leave it black, as it is just the metal shelll (back), or paint it the same colour as the seat cushion (front)? Seat belts will be added at the end.

6-sitz2_zps4cc7d11c.jpg

7-sitz3_zpse800455a.jpg

Alex

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The seats got the same treatment, and so far they look nice. Not sure about the inside: should I leave it black, as it is just the metal shelll (back), or paint it the same colour as the seat cushion (front)?

My experience with ejection seats is that any exposed parts get battered quite quickly. If there is no rear cushion or parachute pack then I would drybrush a worn metal colour all over it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I added some type of cushion or parachute made of milliput, and the seat belts made of Tamiya-Tape. They are finished now, and ready to be glued on the cockpit floor.

8-sitze_zps5425605c.jpg

Instument panel looks ok with the supplied decals. Still, a little bit of raised structure would have been nice, as the decals react well to microsol.

9-panel_zps8f5e358d.jpg

Tomorrow the whole fuselage will be completed, hopefully...

Alex

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Cockpit went together well. Added some lead afterwards.

10-cockpit_zpsd8bb7652.jpg

Fitting of the booms was good; I wll add the gear legs later on.

11-tragflaeche_zpsd8f68209.jpg

That how it looks like right now; fitting of the under wings was not so good, on the starboard wing, there is a gap between the wing and fuselage. I needed to pour some glue in the gap, and with some rubber bands, I put it right.

12-tragflaeche_zpse0cb5675.jpg

Alex

Link to post
Share on other sites

Fitting of the lower wings was not that good, I had a gap between the fuselage and the wing. I had to "bend" it and wait until the glue dried, but there's still a small gap:

14-spalt_zps686479f8.jpg

The intakes didn't fit 100% well. First, I just glued the lower wing to the upper wing. When it was dry, I glued the lower wing to the fuselage, and at the end, I glued the intakes to the wing, everytime with rubber bands holding it in the right positions.

13-tragflaeche_zps34a534ff.jpg

That's how I kept the wing panel flush with the intake border. It worked well...

15-oberflaeche_zps221a596c.jpg

Some filler and sanding, now it looks OK.

16-leitwerk_zpsc4d2cc1b.jpg

Some gaps on the elevator had to be filled, I used stretched sprue and tamiya ultra thin cement. So, there is nothing to sand, as opposed to normal putty.

Alex

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Silver is on, it's tamiya flat alu, done with the airbrush. Today, hopefully, it will get the black antiglare-panel and the white bands as base for the yellow stripes.

17-silber_zpsc390ae42.jpg

Alex

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

The last few days, I managed to airbrush the yellow stripes. And a good advice - do them first, and the end, paint the silver, it's much easier. The difference shows on the inner limitation of the wing stripes. Since the booms are very close to it, there is almost no space for the masking tape to stick. So, two of four limitations are not exactly at the edge of the flap, but 1/2mm off. It's not that bad, but it annoys me a bit. The other way around would have been much easier, as masking the stripe is rather straightforward - two small tapes at the border to make sure they are correct, and another one in between. Oh, and the Tamiya tape still manages to take off a bit of the aluminium colour. The last picture shows something I have to correct - I forgot to add a little bit of tape, as the small tab is fully silver, and the stripe is left out on it.

18-gelbestreifen_zps013a27eb.jpg

19-gelbestreifen_zps48eed091.jpg

20-klappen_zps49f6fc7f.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

The decals are on. They are a pleasure to work with! Settle well into panel lines, and the carrier film gets almost invisible...

21-decals_zps5f2ebe04.jpg

22-decals2_zps2005f747.jpg

23decals3_zps0d2f1212.jpg

Alex

Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...