Airfix 1/72 Hampden - Panel Lines

DaveCS

Hi Folks,

In the midst of my "other builds" I am looking at the Airfix Hampden that I have in my stash. I will sand down the good old Airfix bumps and scribe in the panel lines accordingly.

My question pertains to the panel lines:

I have (and am using) the Warpaint book on the Hampden (and Hereford) - and I know there are 1/72 scale plans within the book - would those plans be valid for determining panel line layout?

The reason I ask is they seem, to me, a bit "excessive" (it appears as though there are a A LOT of lines on the wings for example).

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thank you kindly,

Dave

What panel lines can you see in photographs? If you can't see them, don't put them on. Many of the panel lines shown on drawings are closely-butted joints that are part of the permanent structure of the aircraft. Those that represent removable panels were larger and will be visible on a 1/72nd scale model.

• Like 2

Thanks for the information Graham!! I would rather just stick to only having to do what I "need" to do and this helps me a lot - I was thinking I'd be scribing till kingdom come based on the drawings!! :D

Cheers,

Dave

IMHO......Don't try to reproduce all the panel lines, they don't need to be shown in 1/72 scale...As Graham said, go for the removable panels and the main panel lines, and forget about the rest of them...

An easiest way to do you work would be just drawing them over the painted model.......Paint the entire model, decal it, flat coat it and then....draw the panel lines with a leadholder.....Engrave just the main ones, draw the remaining.....Give a flat overcoat to protect the lines, and that's all...A very convincing way to do so, specially in that scale..

Cheers...

• Like 2

One other comment is not to use a pure black but shade it down with some dark grey. Apart from being a good idea anyway, this will then help make the scribed lines clearer when you go over them after painting for the black plastic will show through, and the lead (if you use this method) will also show better. Apologies if you'd thought of this already.

If your Hampden is a more recent "pull" not in black plastic, you can always relieve tension by swearing at Airfix... but it's not really fair.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Interested to see how the art of drawing panel lines, which makes a great deal of sense at 1/72 is looking ?

...as we debate the resolving of Italeri's trenches on the Stirling in another thread.

Any progress pics ?

Merlin

Hey Merlin !!

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234980860-shelf-of-doom-2015-kit-2-172-airfix-hp-hampden/ <= I completed it earlier this year - it's "ok" - I'm calling it "done". One thing I know.. I need a better macro lens for my main camera *LOL* - the panel lines all got sorted out, I think, in the end..... :D

Cheers,
Dave

Hi, Thanks,

I think I see scribed lines for the most part, or are they thick drawn ones ?

I also have the same starting sets as you, I will be wary of the Falcon set then.

Merlin

Sanded and scribed. It was a bit of a pain but, in the end, I was happy I did it :) Got rid of all those "rivets" too *LOL*

Cheers,

Dave