Italeri 1/48th Typhoon

GreenDragon

Italeri just put artwork on Facebook of a Hawker Typhoon. No scale but I assume 1/48th. https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=610383132367644&set=pcb.610383549034269&type=1&theater

Paul Harrison

Edited by GreenDragon

Yes, to put alongside the 1/48th Hurricanes & Stukas. We'll for sure have more infos in about a week at the Nuremberg Toy Fair. - ref.2734

Sources:

https://www.facebook.com/ItaleriModelKit#!/photo.php?fbid=610383132367644&set=pcb.610383549034269&type=1&theater

http://www.italeri.com/news_scheda.asp?idNews=377

Typhoon Mk I - 1/48 scale - ref.2734

70 years from D-Day, Italeri has created an exclusive line dedicated to the celebration of the event that changed the course of History. Here some first “artwork preview” of our scale model kits that will introduce during 2014.

In-box review: http://www.hyperscale.com/2015/reviews/kits/italeri2734reviewbg_1.htm

italeri2734reviewbg_1.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

According to an italeri rep, The UK make up for over 50% of their market, So my guess is this is going to be 1/48 scale to get use drooling and for those that can't fit a 1/24 kit in the house

Not for my wallet it isn't....

Even Mrs XV has spotted that I possess sufficient Hasegawa Typhoons to meet the Unit Establishment numbers for a squadron in mid-1944, so quite what she'll make of a couple of these appearing is anyone's guess.

Except that, it's not, actually. She'll sigh, shake her head and smile tolerantly, which is probably fair enough and standard practice after 12 years of seeing multiple iterations of the same kit appear in the house...

Edited by XV107

Is this going to be significantly better than a Hasegawa Typhoon?

Short answer, until we see the kit we don't know, one thing's for sure it'll be cheaper even at Italeri's current prices! Their Hurricane is priced at £29.99 at the Big H, I'd expect the Tiffie to be similarly priced, the same retailer has Hasegawa Typhoons at £48.99!

If the Italeri kit is accurate, has good surface detail and doesn't have those awkward, ill fitting fuselage inserts they'd be on to a winner - but as I said, until we see it we don't know!

Wez

Edited by Wez

Is this going to be significantly better than a Hasegawa Typhoon?

It'll probably be significantly CHEAPER at least!! A Tempest V to go with it would be awfully nice!!

Allan

Title spelling corrected & scale added, thanks for telling me Homebee! Was knackered last night and didn't notice (spelt Hawker as Hawlker too! :banghead: )

Love that art.

Paul Harrison

All Italeri newish 1/48 kits with exception of CR.42 have number of omissions , in case of Stuka and Hurricane they are more detailed

but when one looks into finesse, quality and accuracy they are not in the same class as already 20/17 years old Hasegawa kits.

When they announced B-2 Stuka I sold my Hasegawa stash and regreted it, when they announced Hurricane was thankfully more careful

and kept HAS kits.

Will definitely wait until there is more info, but given their track record I am more than doubtful that they will surpass Hasegawa....

It'll probably be significantly CHEAPER at least!!

Highly unlikely. Thanks to the shift in the yen Hasegawa Typhoons are around £12 at HLJ plus postage of about a fiver. Not surprisingly they're backordered but it's worth the wait. At that price they won't even get stopped by customs.

Oh Goody,......I hope that it is cheaper than the Hasegawa kit? I reckon that Italeri will put an engine in this kit as well as including the original and the optional Tempest type tailplane,.......looking forward to this one,

Cheers

Tony

The Hasegawa kit is excellent and plentiful. A pointless release if there ever was one.

J.

well apart from the simplified wheel wells, and cockpit detail, lack of Tempest tailplanes in most boxings, and ill shaped upper nose profile, whats not to like? :)

oh yeah - no MKIII rocket beams, or drop tanks in any option

Jonners

• 2 months later...

Have to say I'm a bit underwhelmed - I assumed ( where did I get this idea from?) that the model would have some "extras" or 'updates" but it looks like the stock vanilla Has Tiffie with new decals.

And I don't quite see how it can be a "late" Mk 1b either, given what it seems to not have; "mid" seems apt

Jonners

• 4 weeks later...