Spitfire Mk.IXc (1:7 scale balsa) modified to Mk.Ia

@Fozzy: I have thought about buying some balsa and make a brand new frame. But I'm worried that the cut-outs for the longerons won't match the other frames. I've tried doing something else.. Will post a new update soon.

@Army_Air_Force: I did use a round sanding drum to shape the inside of the frame (former) As for the cut-out I used a scalpel, maybe I should have used the mini drill.

Just to make matters worse the top of the frame broke too... This hasn't been my lukiest of days :huh:
Using araldite (is that what you call it too?) I glued the two parts together and clamped them. Then I installed the frame in the support and clamped them down too while the frame dried.

0232_Upper_Fuselage.jpg

All well and dry, and it looks, and more importently, feels quite solid.

0233_Upper_Fuselage.jpg

And then I got struck by a flash of genious...

I was going to strengthen the frame to make sure no further disaster was going to surprise me. At work we have stirring pins (too cheap to buy teaspoons) so I "organized" a few of them.
Efter careful studying I selected on and soaked it for a day or so.

0234_Upper_Fuselage.jpg

I then gently bent it into shape and "tied" it up before letting it dry:

0235_Upper_Fuselage.jpg

Yes, I know... it doesn't quite fit, but don't worry.

Hoping that I wouldn't damage the balsa I soaked the stirring pin again and then very, very gently formed it into the fram and clamped it down leaving it to dry.

0236_Upper_Fuselage.jpg

Looks pretty good to me. Next step is to glue it into place which should eliminate the space between the frame and the top of the stirring pin.

0237_Upper_Fuselage.jpg

All glued and set to dry. I'll leave it like that for at least 24 hours. (I did correct the stirirng pin a little, managing to make it more in alignment with the frame.)

0238_Upper_Fuselage.jpg

You got there in the end Finn!.....well done!...you certainly have more patients than me!!!...I would have constructed a new former out of balsa!😋

Upwards and onwards!

Trust me, I was very tempted to do just that. But in the end I figured that I would get a more precise frame by repairing the broken one.

That being said, I intend to go buy some balsa just in case...

If you're buying balsa, get 1/16 or thinner sheet, and laminate two or more pieces cross gain to make a light ply. Even better, get 1/32 or 1/16 birch ply and laminate them.

Edited by Army_Air_Force

48 minutes ago, Army_Air_Force said:

If you're buying balsa, get 1/16 or thinner sheet, and laminate two or more pieces cross gain to make a light ply. Even better, get 1/32 or 1/16 birth ply and laminate them.

WIll do that... Thanks, good idea...