Miles Kestrel colours

CarLos

I am considering the conversion of my P.H. Model resin kit of the Miles Master I back into the much more beautiful Kestrel. I tried to find the date and circumstance of the livery in the following photo, but failed. I am almost certain that it was taken before the aircraft went for testing at the A&AEE (in December 1938, according with the Probe Probare article in Aeroplane Monthly October 1989). The radiator also seems to be smaller than in the photos showing it with the "U5" register.

kestrel_trainer_m9.jpg

Is the number 2 a race number? According to the painting on the Museum of Berkshire Aviation the spinner and cheat line were red and the main colour I guess it was cream as other Miles aircraft - or was it trainer yellow? The number is probably black.

bbo_mba_4_624x544.jpg

Any more info on this livery is appreciated!

Carlos

The Miles Kestrel ( properly the Miles M.9 MRRT) went through a number of changes before it metamorphised as the Master. The colour scheme of Cream (not Yellow) and Red were generally used as House colours for Miles aircraft. The Number 2 (Black)refers to it's entry in the New Type Park at Hendon, this was carried on the port rear fuselage and the stbd nose . U5 was it's class B marking.

John

There was a resin kit of the Kestrel produced by RugRatResins/Aircraft In Miniature in 1/72 with the markings as in the first photo.

If you can't get the kit this may be of use to you;

Kestrel.jpg

Steve

Thank you Steve, just what I needed for the number size and location.

I am not sure if the aircraft ever weared that scheme with the U5 markings, as all the photos I have shows it with the red extended to the upper front fuselage. In any case, I am interested in the earlier scheme.

Carlos