1/72 Airfix Hawk T1 **NOW XX230 and finished **

chrisrope

Hi

I did consider a Vampire T11 but there's a few going on in here. So i'm going to start this-

RAF_VALLEY_0010.jpg

Airfix T1a kit, Modeldecal 54 and some SNEB pods from the Airfix Buccaneer. I have blasted some Halfords grey primer at the sprues so will be starting ASAP

Cheers

Chris

EDIT** Modeldecals not fit for use so now finished as XX230, 63sqn/1TWU 1979 http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1163034/

Edited by chrisrope

I have made a start, painted the insides DSG (as recommended on here in another thread) It is still slightly tacky after 3 days so i'll have to seal it in with something before proceeding -_-

I'm just wondering about the seats in the picture, early or later headbox?. They look later to me but I could be wrong

I'll try and get some pics taken tonight

Ta

Chris

Well the decal sheet says 1981 so that's what I searched for. This was the best picture I found. It's also here in 1981 and they look early to me--

http://www.flickr.com/photos/paul-thallon/8684479685/in/pool-rafchivenor/

I'll have to see if I have some old Airfix seats in the spares box or modify the later ones I have

One step forward and one back so far with this Hawk :banghead:

I have some Aeroclub early seats sorted for my build which will look ace. My problem was the DSG I painted the interior with still would not fully dry, staying ever so slightly tacky. And even though I'm assured it's the correct colour, it looks far too dark :hmmm:

So the parts went in a bag with a dousing of oven cleaner overnight, scrubbed this morning and I can start again this weekend.

20140131_081129.jpg

I glued the wings last night too after thinning the lower wing a bit to remove a step

Onwards and upwards now

Chris

Chris, the step on the lower wings is one of the problems of this kit ! If this is your first Airfix Hawk, there are a couple more to be wary of:

- the wing when inserted in the fuselage has a step on the bottom. One option would be to sand the inner surfaces, but in this way the upper wing roots are not aligned anymore, so filler will be needed there to raise the part moulded on the fuselage with the wing proper. Alternatively, it's sanding the bottom surface of the wing where it meets the fuselage.

- the closed airbrake part tends to "sink" into its recess. Better add a bit of plasticard in the recess and lift the airbrake a bit. Or just assembly the airbrake open

Don't get me wrong, it's a kit I like, but it's a bit rough in places. There's still room for a really definitive 1/72 Hawk on the market !

Cheers Giorgio. It's not my first but it's ages since I have done one. Actually I had similar problems with the 1/48 Airfix Hawk too :hmmm:

A new Airfix Hawk to their new standard would be sweet but not a priority (not when they need to do a new Buccaneer first)

Can I also apologise for the truly shoddy picture above. It looked better on my phone and I'll sort a better one out :sorry:

Great choice Chris. Love the wrap around scheme on the Hawk.

It looks good with SNEB pods but I dunno how representative it is of a 151 sqn TWU fit. Not an expert but I did the course on 63 sqn in 83 and we never carried SNEB pods - only the CBLS.

Might have been different in 81 I guess - and maybe instructors fired a few off from time to time (don't remember that happening mind) - like I say I'm not an expert.

And definitely early head box seats - and it was before the windscreen was thickened up as an anti-bird strike measure,

Cheers

Steve

Chris,

Cockpit colour should be Dark Admiralty Grey, which Humbrol do as no.5. This comes in a gloss finish, perfect for decaled instrument panels and applying washes to dirty up cockpits. After a quick matt varnish, it looks pretty good to me. Another point to note is to fill the incorrectly moulded kicksteps on the stbd side of the nose as they shouldn't be there. Alternatively, Dk Sea Grey with a few drops of white can be a good fudge.

There is a way to reduce/eliminate the step with the wing/fus joint, but the details escape me just now. I seem to think it involves changing when you add the forward intake bits and doing the opposite to what the instructions tell you, i.e if you add the wings before the intakes, add the intakes then the wings and vice versa. Maybe someone else knows what I'm blethering on about and provide a bit more useful info?!

Looking forward to seeing this one progress,

Mark.

Snebs: when I built my Airfix Hawk for the Hawk STGB, I was told by someone who had worked on the type that the Snebs had been withdrawn from use on the Hawks at some point. The reason IIRC was that shooting the rockets stressed the wing or some other part of the structure.

Before that, a typical load would have been one rocket pod and one CBLS.

If the aircraft is depicted in 1981, I believe that the Sneb pods would have still been in use

Edited by Giorgio N

Cheers for the info guys, much appreciated :thumbsup2:

I have repainted the cockpit parts with some lightened DSG. A bit too light actually, more like MSG but it will do for me, i'll put some dirt on it to darken it. Another plus, the white metal seats arrived from Dark Knight this morning. Lovely things requiring minimal surgery to fit. The control columns will have to be omitted but I don't mind.

20140201_134829.jpg

20140201_134844.jpg

Here's the decals too. i bought this sheet for the Phantoms so these Hawk ones are a bonus. The roundels are also Modeldecal, bought so the decals were of the same quality and finish

20140201_140731.jpg

20140201_140743.jpg

Re the Snebs-- did they fit straight onto the standard wing pylon, no adaptor needed like the sidewinders do? I'm going to fit the Snebs as it's those or nothing and I hate an empty pylon

Been collared into working back behind a bar tonight, a job I haven't done for over 7 years. Just a one off so no modelling tonight :fraidnot:

Cheers

Chris

Post weekend update. Cockpit got a dirt wash, decals applied and then the fuse halves brought together. Last night I put the wings on.

20140204_080753.jpg

Some careful sanding and filing (along with strong clamping) made the lower wing section fit nice and flush, no steps :thumbsup2:

20140204_080807.jpg

I used the instrument panel decals from the Modeldecal sheet and painted the bits it didn't cover in matt black. This hides the fact the decal is too small, the Airfix one was just as bad

20140204_080741.jpg

No nose weight added, the Aeroclub seats are plenty. I also have a CBLS coming from Giorgio so going with the asymmetric loadout with 1 SNEB and 1 CBLS. The SNEB pod is coming from the utterly dreadful Italeri Harrier GR5 I scrapped shortly after opening the box :banghead:

Cleaning the seams up tonight

Going well so far, i'm enjoying building Hawk's again. I need more

Cheers

Chris

More done, all the flap actuators, pylons and tailplanes on and the final round of filler. Looks messy but its nice and smooth (well apart from the bit round the ventral fins, that's still to do)

20140211_075036.jpg

20140211_075052.jpg

Canopy is Klear dipped and the det. cord done with acrylic grey, just needs masking and attaching. Seats are also nearly ready to fit then primer and paint. The snows coming in round here so don't know when that will be, I do all my spraying out in the shed :cold:

Cheers

Chris

Seats in, canopy on, just a little blending in to do then primer :thumbsup2:

20140217_080922.jpg

20140217_081018.jpg

I have also re-acquired a Revell/Italeri Hawk T1 I gave someone as a gift (they'll never build it). The gun pod has some much nicer detail on it so plan to use it. However, when compared to the Airfix one, something is definitely amiss. Italeri too big or Airfix too small ???

20140217_081128.jpg

From some Hawk pictures, I think the Airfix pod is way too small.

I also need to slightly re-construct the nose pitot bit as I removed it, i'll also be using a cut down needle for the probe bit. Jet exhaust also enlarged to a more correct size and to take a drinking straw jetpipe :)

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Quite a difference between the two gun pods !

There sure is, the weedy Airfix one has gone in the bin.

Good news, I have put the first colour down. 164 DSG from Humbrols 'NEW' UK mixed enalmels. It was thick in the tin, meaning I could use slightly less paint in the thinned down mix :thumbsup2: Don't know if its meant to be like this but I don't mind. It sprayed on beautifully

20140330_163516.jpg

Now the dreaded wraparound masking to get my head round, not been looking forward to it I must admit :fraidnot:

I also now have some CBLS carriers from Giorgio. Do I go double CBLS or go for the assymetric loadout with the SNEB

Cheers

Chris

I'd go asymmetric, looks way cooler IMHO !

Agreed :thumbsup2:

Onwards. While watching the steadily improving Agent of Shield, I rolled a few blu-tac sausages and masked up the camo

20140405_124644.jpg

20140405_124724.jpg

And then on Saturday, laid on the green and Ta-Da

20140407_080048.jpg

20140407_080101.jpg

20140407_080006.jpg

I even remembered to paint the U/C doors which I always forget. Decals next, I'm in danger of finishing it this week :hypnotised:

Cheers

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

20140419_215341.jpg

Completed Bae Hawk T1, just awaiting its nose pitot, a cut down needle. Once fitted, i'll take some (better I promise) pictures and add to the gallery :)

As you can see it is now XX230 of 63 Sqn/1TWU at RAF Brawdy circa 1979. The scheme was chosen to suit the early seats fitted.

Some of the intended Modeldecal decals were off register so unusable. I couldn't mix and match the Xtradecals as they would look odd.

Cheers

Chris