Curtiss Hawk 75 O. Hobbycraft, 1/48 scale.

Artie

An old build indeed, but have found the pics while "cleaning" the PC from old archives, and my heart went "boom" again...

This is the old Hobbycraft kit, built to represent an argentinian aircraft during the mid forties, I reshaped the engine cowling to give it its correct round shape, and corrected the undercarriage legs' angle. Otherwise, it was built OOB except for some scratch built interior details......Any comments will be welcome..

p36001ll2.jpgp36002ok7.jpg

p36005ui7.jpg

p36006no9.jpg

• Like 1

Very, very nice! :Tasty:

I am waiting on some lovely A/M supplier to do replacement spats before I do mine. Or perhaps I should do my own...? :hmmm:

Christian the Married and exiled to africa with a plan to do all 14 different users of the P-36/H-75

Glad you like it, Sirs....

The NMF was not difficult to get....First thing was a coat of gloss black as a primer (Humbrol, IIRC). Then, a few coats of Testors Metallizer, buffing aluminium. Then, buffed it with a soft cloth, and ashiny finish came to life....!!!!

Cheers.....

• Like 1

Artie, as a follow on to the PM just sent, you keep right on working with second-rate kits (though I happen to like this one) if you're going to get results like that!

What's the problem with the spats that some have referred to?

bob

Edited by gingerbob

Artie, as a follow on to the PM just sent, you keep right on working with second-rate kits (though I happen to like this one) if you're going to get results like that!

bob

Hi, Bob...AFAIK, the undercarriage pants are the wrong shape and sit at a wrong angle....My own limitations kept me from trying to correct any shape issue, but I corrected the angle in a corageous attempt to convince myself I'm an average modeller...:) :) :) :)

By the way, Bob: The Canaries are far from being a sunny place in January...we're enjoying a true rainy, cold and windy winter....a week ago, I woke up just to find a hailstones covered patio....

Cheers...

bob

Hi Bob,

The spats are vaguely OK for the original demonstrators (NR1276 & 1277) and the examples (with spats!) supplied to China.

For the Argentinian and Siam airframes the kit supplied spats are between 33-50% undersize in chord!

SFTB you can build NR1276 & 1277 with a bit of fiddling, Chinese examples with more effort and Argentine and Siam with a scratchbuild only.

Thread hijack over, back to normal service.

Christian the Married and exiled to africa

• Like 1

Now that you mention it, that does sound distantly familiar- it's been a while since I paid real attention to these ultimate (?) fixed-gear fighters.

Artie, you're just saying that so I won't come visit! Ah well, can't get away from home anyway right now, or I might run off to New Zealand. Winter. Bah!

bob

Edited by gingerbob

I built tris kit some years ago as the Thai version. The engine provided in the kit is totally useless - FAR too small, more 1/72nd than 1/48th! I used an Aeroclub white metal repladement - no idea about its' availability now.

Also the whell spats are far too small, they're too small for any of the versions in the kit.

I was lucky enough to go o the Thai AF museum in Bangkok and actually measure the spats on their example.

• Like 2

Excellent work Artie! I have the kit but shied away from the Argentinian examples due to the metal finish. I have two (the other for a Siamese Hawk) so may try it!

I was lucky enough to go o the Thai AF museum in Bangkok and actually measure the spats on their example.

Hi John, would you be able to share the measurements (and/or photographs)? The Siamese kit is one on my to do list.

Regards,

I'm sorry,but I can't work out how to post pics on here, so if someone who does know contacts me directly at -

[email protected] (remove the z's)

and I'll email you the pics so you can post them here.

Hi John

you need the phoptos to be uploaded somewhere on the net, usually an image hosting site like postimage, photobucket etc

then use the 'post image' box in the posting tols [11th icon from left, little green square ] and post in the photo address.

see - http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234932831-posting-pictures-in-3xx-using-photobucket/

Or get bob to post them up :whistle:

HTH

T

Here are John's pics, with some comments (I'll update if any corrections are required!)

Front- note the asymmetry:

Hawkfront_zps2e9b0f86.jpg

Inboard:

Hawkinside_zps37b719f5.jpg

Outboard - John says that the line marked with the V measures 3' 3":

Hawkside99_zps09977b2a.jpg

Hawknose_zps5fafa6e2.jpg

A few other photos can be seen in the Photobucket folder (first time doing this, so I hope the link works as intended).

Thanks John!

bob