1/72 - Cessna UC-78 Bobcat/Crane Mk.I by Kovozávody Prostějov (KP) - released

Homebee

AZ model Kovozávody Prostějov (KP) is to release a brand new tool 1/72nd Cessna UC-78 Bobcat

Source: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234931186-azmodellegatoadmiral-wwii-aircraft-comments-questions-and-wishes/?p=1518104

(...) Cessna T-50 Bobcat with us is ready for production. It's a completely new model. Technology forms will be short-run in the box Admiral.(...)

V.P.

Matt-Memory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee

• 1 year later...

Release from the first Bobcat boxing is now expected in February 2015.

Source: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234931186-azmodellegatoadmiral-wwii-aircraft-comments-questions-and-wishes/?p=1843470

New AZmodel:

(...)

In February, we have prepared a new model Cessna UC-78 Bobcat. The sale will! Logo in various versions.

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

• 9 months later...

And sincerely hope its not a Pavla rehash.

Some of the latest announcements from AZ Model are very probably Pavla-based, as some of their releases under the Admiral, Legato and AZ brands in the latest years have been. For example:

- AZ Model's P-26 Peashooters (#7218, #7219 and #7220) are based on the Pavla #72046 kit.

- Admiral's Fairchild Forwarders (#7231, #7232, #7233 and #7234) are based on Pavla #72029.

- AZ Model's range of Tiger Moths (#74008, #74015, #74022, #74070, #74071, #74072, #74073 and #74094) are based on Pavla #72051.

- Admiral's Oxford kits (#7233, #7234, #7235, #7236 and #73085) are based on Pavla #72041.

- The three Admiral's Vultee Valiant kits (#7237, #7238, #7239) are based on Pavla #72028.

- There's one Admiral (#7222) and three AZ Model (#73059, #73060 and #73067) Mitsubishi Ki-30 kits based on Pavla #72016.

- There are two AZ Model (#7224 and #7225) and two Admiral (#7211 and #7212) Vought F6U kits based on Pavla #72010.

All this noted above are not exactly Pavla repops: some resin pieces of the original Pavla boxings now are in the plastic sprues, new inyected canopies have replaced the vacuforms from the original releases, and the photo-etched frets (when included) are way different in layout and contents, but the basic plastic pieces remain basically the same. In one way or another, it's nice to still have these models available.

In view of this, it seems fair to assume that this selection of the latest announcements from AZ Model will be Pavla-based:

- The Kawasaki Ki-102 Randy was in Pavla's catalogue (#72008).

- The Grumman G-44 Gosling was in Pavla's catalogue (#72023).

- The Vought OS2U Kingfisher was in Pavla's catalogue (#72025).

- The Cessna UC-78 Bobcat was in Pavla's catalogue (#72022).

I remember that in this same forum there was a mention about the AZ Model acquisition of Pavla moulds some time ago, but I can't find that thread right now.

Of course, we are not talking here about ALL recent AZ Model or Kovozávody Prostějov announcements, just the ones related to previous Pavla kits. There are a lot of new kits coming from AZ Model wich are 100% new moulds, and I'm glad to see so many new kits announced for release!

Hope this information to be helpful to you.

• Like 1

No matter what's the kits' origin - it's really nice to have a manufacturer interested in producing models of "second line" airplanes that are usually overlooked by mainstream manufacturers in their catalogues (normally full of Bf-109, spitfires, mustangs and etc)

I wish good health to Petr and I hope that Bobcat, Super Cub, Cessna 180-185, G-44, L-29 Dolphin, SF.260 reach retailers in the next 2-3 years!

Source:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235010228-kpaz-central-discussion-questions-answers/&do=findComment&comment=2630136

Cesna Crane/Bobcat - we are owners of Pavla masters and Bobcat will be based on it. I repeat based. It will be upgraded and changed where we know about issues. Don´t be afraid of plastic quality, we use another one than Pavla used. This kit is a release of the second half of the year.

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

Now expected in 2020 under Kovozávody Prostějov (KP) label.

Source: https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235010228-kpaz-central-discussion-questions-answers/&do=findComment&comment=3565762

Cessna Crane - original Pavla kit was very innaccurate, so KP one is new mould. Canopy is injected.

- ref. KPM0168 - Cessna UC-78A "Bobcat

- ref. KPM0169 - Cessna CRANE Mk.Ia 

- ref. KPM0170 - Cessna JRC-1 "Bobcat"

- ref. KPM0171 - Cessna T-50 "Bobcat"

Bobcat-1.jpg

Bobcat-2.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 2

In times when Pavle released Bobcat there was a Polish set of decals for the scheme of machine displayed in museum in Krakow

27945173367_fc919f2a43_b.jpg

Cessna_UC-78_Bobcat_'SP-GLC'_(1575370061

Some of them are on second hand market available, maybe there will be a re-issue or KP will include this scheme in one box?

Regards

J-W

Nevertheless I'm still looking for the pre-1943 (stars with no bars) European (or African) USAAF plane in OD/NG scheme.

I hoped that at least one such a plane could be included by the manufacturer....

Cheers

Michael

Some comments on the decals and color schemes in the JRC-1 kit.

I have been researching Cessna T-50 histories for the better part of 30 years now, for ultimate publication in book form, in an effort which started when I was in graduate school at Oklahoma State University. I have examined all available T-50 registration records in the  archives of the US Federal Aviation Administration and have collected many photos with the help of other T-50 enthusiasts and some aircraft owners. What I can tell you is that some of the surviving and airworthy T-50s are painted in color schemes which, although they may be historically accurate, are not appropriate for the particular airframe on which they appear, and the aircraft depicted in KP's JRC-1 kit are examples of some of those. Specifically:

1. Cessna JRC-1 Bobcat No. 3696 "Lo-Lo" is owned by the Collings Foundation of Stow, Massachusetts (not the "Stow-Collings Foundation" as stated on the box at). It was never a  JRC-1, but was a UC-78 operated by the USAAF. What is displayed on the aircraft as the BuNo ("3696") is NOT a JRC-1 BuNo, but is in fact the manufacturer's serial number. The aircraft was acquired from a private owner, who apparently painted it as he thought a JRC-1 would have looked, but the best evidence available indicates that NO JRC-1 was ever painted in the scheme worn by this aircraft. All JRC-1s were built as UC-78s and transferred to the US Navy and most apparently kept their USAAF color schemes: Olive Drab over Neutral Gray, or overall silver. I have seen only two photos of JRC-1s painted in the US Navy's "three-color" scheme (Non-Specular Sea Blue 607 upper surfaces; Non-Specular Intermediate Blue 608 fuselage sides, vertical tail surfaces, and rudder; and Non-Specular Insignia White 601 undersurfaces) which is apparently what this aircraft is supposed to represent.

2. Cessna JRC-1 Bobcat No. 64464. BuNo 64464 was indeed a JRC-1 and was one of the few to be re-painted in Navy colors, but the box art incorrectly depicts it. Note the different colors on the side of the engine cowling in this photo:

800px-Cessna_JRC-1_(64464)_NAS_Alameda_(

3. Cessna JRC-1 Bobcat No. 63426, NAS Pensacola. This aircraft is in the collection of the National Naval Aviation Museum, Pensacola, Florida, and carries the markings of a US Navy instrument trainer. However, it was never a JRC-1. It is a UC-78B, ex-43-7995, manufacturer's serial number 5515, and is one of the approximately 2,700 T-50s sold as surplus after WW II. The BuNo displayed on the airframe, "63426," is actually its civil registration N-number less the "N" prefix! It also has a non-standard bubble windshield, an approved post-war modification by Stolp-Adams. The color scheme it carries is correct for a US Navy instrument trainer, but no evidence that a JRC-1 ever served as such has been found in the course of my research.

The lesson to be learned here is to be cautious when using restored "warbirds" as references.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Thus I understand, that aircraft #2 from the USN JRC boxing should wear the camo like depicted for the #1 on the same box lower lid.

Probably she could wear the Sea Blue Gray / Light Gray camo earlier (until mid-1943 perhaps), but then the insignia should be bar-less.

Thanks for this detailed photo, Michael, as it shows that some three-colour USN JRCs existed in reality.

BTW do you have any pictures of UC-78 hacks/staff transports from North African campaign (no bars at stars, yellow surround warmly welcome) ?

I have some pictures from Italy in 1944, but these have the stars with bars already...

Cheers

Michael

8 hours ago, KRK4m said:

Thus I understand, that aircraft #2 from the USN JRC boxing should wear the camo like depicted for the #1 on the same box lower lid.

Probably she could wear the Sea Blue Gray / Light Gray camo earlier (until mid-1943 perhaps), but then the insignia should be bar-less.

Thanks for this detailed photo, Michael, as it shows that some three-colour USN JRCs existed in reality.

BTW do you have any pictures of UC-78 hacks/staff transports from North African campaign (no bars at stars, yellow surround warmly welcome) ?

I have some pictures from Italy in 1944, but these have the stars with bars already...

Cheers

Michael

Re: Aircraft #2. Your understanding is correct. It is unlikely that she would have carried the Blue-Gray/Light Gray camouflage, as this was ordered discontinued in February 1943, and the first JRC-1 was delivered to the USAAF on May 5, 1943, and transferred to the Navy shortly thereafter.

I have no photos of UC-78s in North Africa. I'd love to see those pix of UC-78s in Italy.

• Like 1

There's an album (almost 70 pages including some 400 pictures) by Donald Krasno - a USAAF corporal in Italy in 1944-45.

On page 62 there is a UC-78B Bobcat #43-7386 after the left u/c leg collapse on some airfield in Italy. A point of interest is a white horizontal stripe (like on 8th AF fighters) across the vertical fin and rudder.

https://www.donaldkrasno.com/page-62/

On page 60 there are three other pictures of damaged OD/NG Bobcats. One of them carried the (perhaps yellow) "Uncle Joe" individual name on the nose.

It's not sure however if any of these 3 pictures shows the 43-7386 from p.62.

Another point of interest in this album is a picture of the 44-83029 YP-80A, but this is being discussed under another BM topic.

Cheers

Michael

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1