Lynx Helicopter/ Revell Kit/ 1/32 scale

You're right about the seat dinghy pack; the top half in particular is too thick (like, probably double size, by my [highly calibrated, obviously] naked eye!) The pilot would be reaching deep between his legs to reach the cyclic at present (oo err, Missis). Everything else - awesome as ever.

Awesome work as always Oliver, your builds are not only entertaining but educational as well. I would go along with the dinghy pack and maybe the cushion as well being too tall, certainly something does not look right there. The sheepskin effect is great however, how did you do it?

Martin

Looking awesome, Oliver.

I'll add my two pence in too. To gauge the correct height for the seat cushion, the base of the black part of the cyclic grip should be around groin height ;-)

You can just about gauge the rough height from this pic of a Mk7 with standard seat cushion (the right hand seat isnt adjusted all the way down either. Compare the rear height of the seat to the left seat);

11212540806_8d5de93587_c.jpg

As an addendum. Dont know if its too late for you to amend it but the seat height adjuster ( the sticky out bit on the right/front of the base) would tend to be in the retracted position in all occasions except when actually adjusting the seat height usually on first strapping in). You can pretty much see where the hinge on the handle is and it would bend down from that point with the tip pretty much on the floor. Not a biggy as once you put the fuselage together, it can be barely seen.

Edited by Lynx7

Hi

I ended redoing the seats 3 times. I wasnt happy with this thickness of the seat cushion (painted) or the lack of it and the silver ring around the seats (i just hate painting silver with a passion, I am not just good at it at all)....Im still not happy with it but it will have to do.

The seats are not just quite done, I still have to do a wash and a drybrush and install the repainted seatbelts. This is how it looks right now.

I did take out the handles on the seats which i will reattach later ( I was not getting the masking tight enough around the seats.)

Oliver

002_zpsd0a26dc5.jpg

006_zpsb6bf8d55.jpg

010_zps377fc4a3.jpg

014_zps18603ef0.jpg

015_zpsb6957041.jpg

• Like 2

Oliver

Any chance you post some pictures in the tips section demonstrating your painting technique?

Few photos of the cabin floor painting process at the beginnig of the post but thats about it. I never know if its better to show the final product or the many steps of painting. Iam more than happy to explain the process whoever is interested.

Oliver

• Like 2

For what its worth Oliver, I try and show every step in my major builds as I am aware that not everyone has the same level of experience and tend to be anxious to avoid assuming that everyone knows what I might know. Your builds are very inspiring as well as entertaining and I would imagine that BM'ers of all levels of experience will be wanting to emulate at least little of what you have done.

Sorry that's not meant to sound like a sermon, its just my thoughts on your question.

Martin

• Like 1

I build cars but love seeing what sort of tips and tricks the other disciplines use and this build is epic for it. Keep it up.

The more detail the better!

Thanks

Finishing the seats today

Oliver

Do Navy Lynxes carry any cargo in the back cabin ever or is it always set for to carry people? any photos of cargo stuff by any chance?

Thanks

Oliver

We did carry cargo, often (the main reason for the plywood protection on the cabin floor was for when people chucked stuff in there without thinking), but night in a very structured way. "Chuck it in and make sure it's lashed down with a cargo net" was about as scientific as we ever got unless it was under-slung, frankly. Loads of power, usually load lifting without much gas, so weight not a major problem - especially since a high percentage of my Lynx flying was in the South Atlantic, so "hot & high" were things we only read about in books!

It takes no time at all to take the rear seat out - especially the 4-man, which was our seat of choice.

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU

Thanks for the info on cargo. Replacing the back seat with more fun stuff.

Seats are almost done. The seats were a challenge from the beginning, I had for some reason a lot of difficulties painting and doing a wash on them.

Sometimes you get stuck in the most simple stuff....god knows why.

Oliver

022_zpsdfc4562c.jpg

021_zps5f0691b7.jpg

019_zps991cbd3f.jpg

018_zps5cfd1b05.jpg

• Like 4

Those now look much better; nice one. When you say "replacing the back seat", I assume you don't mean the 3-man "bench" at the rear of the cabin? That stated rigged pretty much permanently; it was the 6-man metal / 4-man inflatable seat that was regularly taken in or out. Your model, though, so do what you like; and a stunning model it is, too.

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU

Those now look much better; nice one. When you say "replacing the back seat", I assume you don't mean the 3-man "bench" at the rear of the cabin? That stated rigged pretty much permanently; it was the 6-man metal / 4-man inflatable seat that was regularly taken in or out. Your model, though, so do what you like; and a stunning model it is, too.

Yes it is what I am removing. Already started on the various boxes for the inside.

Oliver

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Sorry to say that the lynx build has been put on hold for now. It does not mean i wont go back to it at a later date.

I did start on the Super Frelon from Heller in 1/35 scale.

My computer crashed again so using my phone for now.

oliver