1/72 Eduard Mig 15bis

Evening all,

My build rate has slowed considerably recently due to work and DIY commitments but I need a stop gap before the Mig 21 STGB kicks off. These new Eduard kits are cracking, I've had my eye on this kit since it was first released, not that long ago. MJW had one for less than £15 and despite my 'build from the stash' resolution I decided to hell with it.

As I said theta kit looks great, I won't steal the reviewers thunder as I expect they'll get one to review soon enough, but here's the sprues

image-18.jpg

A few random shots of some of the detail

image-17.jpg

image-16.jpg

image-10.jpg

I've made a quick start, the cockpit was painted overall Gunze C337 grey blue. The instructions call for C308. I'm not sure which is right accuracy wise but C337 matches the PE colour much better than C308!

A quick wash and dry brush followed by a Matt coat and the pit was done.

image-22.jpg

image-20.jpg

image-9.jpg

image-13.jpg

Finished pit

image-24.jpg

IP, what we've come to expect from these kits, outstanding detail enhanced by the PE.

After not much more work I got to here

image-15.jpg

image-23.jpg

I don't expect to need any filler at all, the seams just need a polish after the thin cement treatment!

Loving this kit, just need to decide which scheme, I'm thinking the Egyptian one currently.

More updates should follow soon!

Thanks for looking

Phil

• Like 3

This is a quick build. I love the Eduard kits also. I built the 1/48 MiG-21 SMT last year and it was an absolute pleasure to build.

Looking forward to seeing this progress.

Tom

Thanks chaps,

Deffinately up there with the 1/48 mig 21 kits, be good if they upscaled this one actually...

The only area I had any issue with fit wise was the nose ring which I found was everso slightly over sized. Nothing some gentle sanding hasn't fixed. To anyone building one, I recommend not glueing the internals in to the fuselage halves. With no locating pins it's possible to end up with a slight misalignment between the 2 halves. I think it was the exhaust assembly that pushed mine out.

Should get some primer on it tonight

Coming along nicely! :goodjob:

I'm sorely tempted to get one myself because of the Cuban option. :coolio:

What did you use for the weight in nose? There's not much space in there.

Mike. :)

You'd be surprised how much room there actually is. You can also omit one of the fuselage panels until the airframe is complete, allowing you to add extra ballast if need be.

Coming along nicely! :goodjob:

I'm sorely tempted to get one myself because of the Cuban option. :coolio:

Mike. :)

The Cuban option was my 2nd choice, a close second!

I crammed some lead fishing shot into the top and bottom cavities with blue tak, hopefully it's enough.....

• 2 weeks later...

I hate to ask , but has anybody worked out the timeframes when Mig 15s were "Painted/sealed" in the russian version of High Speed Silver and when (or what countries/states) they were Natural Metal ?

Most of the restored ones flying in Russian markings in the USA are polished NMF but im not sure how historically correct that is?

great build tho Saints Phill it certainly looks great in the alclad

I should have probably ask what user/country, my fault :)

No worries sir, it'll be Egyptian when I get 5 mins to put the decals on!!

It is a lovely kit, enjoyed building it.

There was some discussion about natural metal vs painted silver in the Mig-21 GB thread, if I remember correctly it was a coating consisting of varnish mixed with aluminium powder, but I don't know about timescales. I think for 1/72 Alclad works for either finish really.

Phil

• Like 1

Cool egyptian, its not often to see these :):thumbsup2: as for the NMF or aluminium mix i realy dont know, it would need some deeper research, might as well depends where these were built (some were built out of russia as far as i know), but after all, i m quite sure it was not that kind of "USA" shiny polished wanabe mirror metal :) so i think the alclads did great job in either way :)

One thing i was thinking about lately - how are u guys doing wash on aluminium/NMF surface? i mean, i dont know what colour i would go for, black seems to be like fist on an eye, grey might feel weird.. also i did hear varnish destroys the perfect look what alclad does.. I m sorry i m asking it here Phil as it got on my mind while i was reading your WIP. And also i have few NMF/aluminium planes on my "to do list"..

Cool egyptian, its not often to see these :):thumbsup2: as for the NMF or aluminium mix i realy dont know, it would need some deeper research, might as well depends where these were built (some were built out of russia as far as i know), but after all, i m quite sure it was not that kind of "USA" shiny polished wanabe mirror metal :) so i think the alclads did great job in either way :)

One thing i was thinking about lately - how are u guys doing wash on aluminium/NMF surface? i mean, i dont know what colour i would go for, black seems to be like fist on an eye, grey might feel weird.. also i did hear varnish destroys the perfect look what alclad does.. I m sorry i m asking it here Phil as it got on my mind while i was reading your WIP. And also i have few NMF/aluminium planes on my "to do list"..

Ask away! In fact I intend this to be a test for just those things. I have been thinking about a wash, previously I've not put them on NMF, as I've wanted a clean jet plus the detail shows up nicely anyway. For this one I was thinking about trying a darkish brown colour or grey. I'm also planning on applying a satin coat at the end, too see what that looks like. Watch this space!

Phil

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nice build!

My build of one of these stalled because I can't get the cockpit to fit in properly. It's one of the Czech ones, I built a Hobby Boss one as an Egyptian aircraft prior to the Eduard release. I'm going to have to do lots of sanding to get it to fit, I've just had exactly the same issue on Airfix's new Typhoon, whilst trying to use Eduard's etch.

thanks

Mike

Nice build!

My build of one of these stalled because I can't get the cockpit to fit in properly. It's one of the Czech ones, I built a Hobby Boss one as an Egyptian aircraft prior to the Eduard release. I'm going to have to do lots of sanding to get it to fit, I've just had exactly the same issue on Airfix's new Typhoon, whilst trying to use Eduard's etch.

thanks

Mike

Sounds like you're having troubles! Is that an Eduard aftermarket pit or the kit one?

It's a pain when you think you can easily add some detail with a nice PE set and it becomes more work than it's worth....I've had that with a few resin pits recently!