Airfix New Style Instruction Booklets

richierichbloke

Hello everyone, hope you all are having a very nice weekend.

Can I just introduce myself. My name is Richard Petts. I’ve been a Technical Illustrator for 30 years. The last 6 years, I have been lucky enough to work with the Airfix team at Hornby Hobbies and produce the assembly instruction booklets. These are for the new models that are designed by the Airfix Team at Hornby.

I’m really keen to hear what your thoughts are on our new style instructions. Using the grey rendered images and the use of red to show the location of parts that have been assembled in a previous step.

For the last six years, I have been creating instructions the traditional way, black and white isometric line drawings. Last summer the team and I discussed updating the instructions to something a little bit more up to date and exciting. We came up with keeping the line drawing but placing a greyscale jpg under the line work showing the 3D renders created in the CAD design.

There have been several new models with these new style instructions. These include the Lightning, Hawker Hurricane, Gloster Javelin, Quad bikes and Tiger Moth, and many more new in the pipe line for this year. This will include the new 1:24 Typhoon which I have almost finished, I’m pleased to say.

Please could you let me know what you think. Do you like them and does everything look clear and easy to follow? Or if anyone prefers the old style Instructions?

Look forward to hearing from you all. If anyone hasn’t seen the new style, I’ll and find a page I can upload on here shortly.

Have a fun weekend.

Best wishes

Rich

Edited by richierichbloke
  • Like 3

Hi Richard,the new Hurricane MK1 is the first of the new style instructions I have seen and used and from me it,s a big thumbs up! looking at it

from a new modellers viewpoint it will be a great help,they seem simpler and less "cluttered" than some instructions.

I'll admit to liking the new presentation style although if I have a criticism its that the grey shading is possibly a little too dark.

What I do miss (and I realise it will never return) are the old written instructions. I have to admit that the instructions printed on the headers of Airfix kits in poly bags helped me to learn to read and certainly expanded my vocabulary. By the age of seven I knew all the parts of an aircraft and could even spell all the ones with a French origin but it took me another seven years and the Air Cadets to get me to pronounce the word 'pitot' correctly.

• Like 2

I dont think I've seen these new instructions.

My only comment would be regarding the use of coloured writing. I am colourblind, and a fair number of modellers are also.

To me; medium to dark red, blue or green writing on white all look the same as black. Medium red, blue or green writing on medium grey simply disappear. Yellow writing on white also disappears. And some mixes become unreadable.

Not an Airfix instruction, but another, I had to photocopy in black & white to get to be able to read the coloured writing which was on the original.

So I would ask you to take this into consideration when deciding to use coloured writing on the instructions.

• Like 4

Thank you Steve, great to hear we have the thumbs up from you. Your right, I think the Hurricane was the first one I did in this new style, not sure what made me think it was the Javelin, I think that was still in the old style.

Hi SD, good to hear you are building the Lightning and pleased with these instructions too. I really wished I'd done this with the

BAE Worrior, there's so many small parts and these instructions would of looked so much clearer using the Red to highlight parts fitted in previous steps.

Hello Aeronut, very good point,I have to agree, some images do look a bit dark and then some surfaces look almost white, there must be away of playing around with the direction of light source in the programme I use, I'll look into it.

thanks very one for your thoughts

Rich

Rich,

I agree, its great that you are soliciting feedback - well done.

I have both Hurricane and Lightning, however have not yet used these to build the respective kits.

There is a definite improvement from the older style and they are certanly easier to read.

In my opinion Eduard seem to be the benchmark for kit instructions, however I do not wish to see the price of the overall kit escalate to match (PE aside).

I would really love to see the kit instructions linked to the Airfix website in PDF format. I know Revell do this and I for one have purchased that particular subject once I knew the level of detail included.

As you are obviously "in bed" with the Airfix boys - could you please suggest this the next time you chat.

How about giving us a link to the new Airfix Tiger Moth instructions - If anything it will raise the excitment levels even more and allow those who have not seen this new format a chance to comment further.

Cheers.. and once again bravo for seeking feedback from your customers.

Dave.

• Like 1

May I ask if some "in-jokes" are being included in the instructions? I noticed that in the instructions for the fabric wing Hurricane the pilot is shown wearing glasses and that the latest Lightning pilot appears to have a "real" face cut and pasted from someone's photo!

Nick

• Like 2

Looking forward to the Lightning also. But as far as instructions are concerned, my favorites are the Revell and Monogram instructions from the kits of my youth, in which the parts are labeled with their correct prototypical names instead of (or in addition to) their part numbers. As someone else has pointed out, they were extremely educational. Perhaps Airfix will consider including such labels in the future along with the new style images.

• Like 1

I have not yet had a chance to see the new kits in the flesh but what l have seen here on Britmodeller Horby/Airfix should be proud of their accomplishments and the continuing improvements with each and every kit. I say keep up with the good work updating and replacing old moulds with new ones and bringing us kits that has not been in the Airfix line before. Seeing your Swift l am hoping a Scimitar might be in the works as well. Thanks from all us modelers

• Like 1

I'd like to echo the points made above thanking Richard for bringing this up, and Airfix generally for the fresh approach seen elsewhere in the new kits.

There are two things I'd like to see in the instructions that are not currently being brought out

1. (as said above) Tell us what the bits and bobs are. Accept that this means the instructions will not be completely multilingual.

2. Tell us what the real colours are supposed to be and then which Humbrol colours to use, not just the latter.

• Like 1

Hi John,

I was hoping to find something on my email I could upload here and show you the new style, but Iooks like I will have to wait until I'm back at Hornby on Monday, thanks for your reply and enjoy the rest of your weekend,

Rich

Hi Dave, good to hear from you and hope you find the instructions clear and easy to follow for the Hurricane and Lightning when you do come to build them. Just been having a quick look on the web at the Eduard instructions, bit more technical looking than mine which takes me back to my days of producing car and truck workshop manuals for Fords.

Very good point being able to see instructions on our web site as pdf, something I shall discuss with the team this week, we have a meeting Wednesday morning,I'll let you know the outcome, including a link to the new Tiger Moth, fabulous little aircraft.

Many thanks for your comments and have a good week,

best wishes

Rich

Edited by richierichbloke
  • Like 4

Hello Nick, well spotted, yes this did remain a secret for quite sometime before anyone noticed, including our boss, i put a caricature of the designer in the cockpit and its the designer of that particular model, so you are looking at a very talented fella from our team in the Hurricane called Matt. I have yet to appear in the nest two seater with a designer.

best wishes

Rich

• Like 4

Hi Rich, and welcome,

Firstly I have not yet seen the new instructions. Point has been raised about naming colours and using Humbrol reference numbers.

If you are using coloured sections in the instructions, would it be possible to show on the painting chart representations on the colours as appear in the old Humbrol paint guides? (the fold out ones with the cross references on the back). Just a thought.

The reference to colour blindness...Interesting and valid point. Have you ever seen this?

http://s3.zetaboards.com/locate_and_cement/topic/746503/1/

Hello Space Ranger,

very nice to hear from you, this is a brilliant idea and would be very educational to everyone, including me !!.

It could be a problem with the translations, but I shall ask at our next meeting if its possible using the languages we use for the History on the front cover and maybe including Italian.

Best wishes

Rich

Hi Hacker,

Thank you very much indeed for you kind comments, I must admit I do feel very proud to be working the Airfix brand at Hornby,

we have a really good friendly team between us all, Sorry I wish I could give you the answer on the Scimitar, but everything that hasn't been announced is a secret for now. super looking aircraft though/

best wishes

Rich

Hi Graham,

nice to hear from you, I'm having some great response from everyone here and hope I'm getting back to everyone as quite new to forums. These are two very good points and I have made a note of these to discuss the possibilities this wednesday, I'll let you know.

have a nice afternoon

best

wishes

Rich

Hello Black Knight, goodness !! why didn't I think about this, something we will need to think of with the new Typhoon as I have had

to use a couple of colours in the part numbers that describe the build options, I'll mention this when I'm back at work, thank you for bringing it to my attention.

best wishes

Rich

Hello Bentwaters, another good point I shall discuss this week, thank you very much for mentioning it and thank you for the link, great images and a subject I feel quite guilty of not giving a lot of thought. enjoy the rest of your day, I'd better get some of those jobs done now I keep meaning to around the house, speak soon

best wishes

Rich

Hi Rich,

I have to admit to not having seen a sample of the new instructions yet.

A sample would be good to see as I have made a large number of Airfix kits including HMS Illustrious, Type 45 Destroyer, Trafalgar classsubmarine and several others including the 2 Vostok 1 rockets I am building at the moment, all of which I imagine have the old style of instructions.

Cheers,

Rick

Hello Rick, sounds like you are going to very busy with some fantastic Airfix kits, yes sorry to say these are all the old black and white line illustrations, best of luck with these and I'll find something to upload on here tomorrow, soon as I understand this photobucket thing, Firefox quits for me everytime I open it at home here. have a fun afternoon

cheers rich