What are your favorite aviation films

blueliner

Murphy's War

Twelve O' Clock High (Used as a training aid by the RN when I did leadership course in the 90s! )

Appointment in London

Dark Blue World

Journey Together (Dickie Attenborough training to be pilot but has to become a Nav as he doesnt make the grade, late war film but very good)

Coastal Command ( Wartime film using all serving personnel but excellent flying of Sunderlands, Catalinas, Beauforts, Hudsons Etc)

Sound Barrier

Angels One Five

Malta Story

Most of these films are black and white which either says something about me or about more recent efforts!

"The Battle of Britain" is absolutely my all-time no. 1. I grew up in a small town in eastern Tennessee, and I will never forget going to see this with my brother at the local theater. I was pretty much already a WW2 aircraft addict by that time, but this movie guaranteed that would be an absolutely permanent condition!

I bought the DVD of the re-mastered edition a few years ago, and still haul it our regularly, LOL...

• Like 1

And nobody has mentioned Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines, which has a stella cast of pommie actors and some great flying scenes. I saw a dubbed version in Prague in 1973 and the entire audience applauded when the German (Gert Frobe?) crashed into the sewage pond.

• Like 6

Easy one for me - it's just gotta be the Battle of Britain (hence the Rabbit Leader tag)

The other's are -

Tora, Tora, Tora

The Dambusters

The Sound Barrier (first time I heard of the term - Buffeting..)

A Thousand Skies (mini series about Sir Charles Kingsford Smith)

and .... the Vulcan scene in James Bond's "Thunderball"

Cheers... Dave

• Like 1

A movie that hasn't been mentioned yet, but one that left a lasting impression on me as a twelve year old kid was 'A Guy Named Joe' with Van Johnson and Spencer Tracey. Seeing all those P-38's shooting down the bad guys created a life long love for those Fork Tailed Devils!

Edited by Brian J

Going to be a bit obscure now but there was a "made for TV" movie called "Sole Survivor" about a B-25 that crashes in the desert and the crew are ghosts. IIRC William Shatner played the one surviving member of the crew who had baled out. The story was loosely based on the "Lady Be Good". Really, REALLY wish they'd bring it out on DVD - I'd buy it in a heartbeat (although I very much doubt that they ever will...it wasn't even released on video).

• Like 3

What about the colour Lassie film which featured all of those lovely RCAF Bolingbrokes, Venturas, Kittyhawks etc,.....I think it was called `Son of Lassie',......not a bad film but fantastic colour footage!

Also second most of the others that people have mentioned,....I`d forgotten `Sole Survivor' but can now vividly remember watching it as a kid.

Keep em coming,

Tony

edited- the Lassie film was `Son of Lassie' & not `Lassie Come Home',...so edited above.

Edited by tonyot

Apocalypse Now. Huey's, Loaches, Bird Dogs, F5's

The AirCav scene, ending with the Philippine Air Force F5 napalm strike

The making of film Hearts of Darkness explains how the Philippine forces who provided the aircraft were fighting an insurgency during filming

Justin H

Murphy's War

Twelve O' Clock High (Used as a training aid by the RN when I did leadership course in the 90's!

On my list , and used for same purpose by The RAF in the 70's.

Also on my list

The Sound Barrier

Angels One Five

The Way to The Stars

No Highway....... 1/48 Rutland Reindeer anyone??

Peter

All of the above plus:

Journey Together - wartime semi-documentary/docudrama about RAF flying training in the US and Canada. Stars Richard Attenborough and feature Edward G Robinson as a flying instructor. Lots of lovely Stearmans (Stearmen?) and Ansons among others.

The Jet Pilot - John Wayne and Janet Leigh - the story is not up to much, but it features many rarely seen 1950s US a/c such as F-89s, B-36s, F-86As, and the Soviet parasite fighter looking remarkably like the B-29/X-1 combination.

Edited by MikeC

Oh boy what a thread...

OK

Battle of Britain has to be the best because of all the hardware - they had real Spitfires and real (almost real) Me 109's.

Dam Busters a close second because of the event, the character development, the plot development. And OK only three but they had Lancasters too!

633 Squadron is wonderful but the plot drags a little.

Red Tails is excellent how many films do you see P40's, Mustangs, B17's Me 109's and 262's all in the same film...OK the plot is a little poor and the characters also but the flying scenes make up for this big time!

Mosquito Squadron - I like this for the nostalgia - a poor mans 633 but still we see Mossies flying around.

Memphis Belle - OK it was several stories rolled into one but still great although dated CGI.

12 o'clock High - still acknowledged as one of the best films about the psychological effect of war and great use of actual footage from WW2 - except a P47 doubling for a Me109 or FW190!!!

What about Flight of the Phoenix? Hardy Kruger making a life size model to fly out of the desert?

And one of the best ever films for aviation... TOPGUN....come on when will we see F14 Tomcats doing the business?

You Only Live Twice - The autogyro is one of the most classic flying sequences in a movie.

A Bridge Too Far - OK it's mainly armour but how many times are we going to see those Daks and when the Spitfire comes over on a Recce - still sends shivers down my back.

And there are worthy mentions - Dark Blue World, Tuskagee Airmen (Better Plot Line than Red Tails but not as much aircraft!), Apocalyps Now, Flight of the Intruder, Black Hawk Down, Tora Tora Tora, Battle of Midway, Reach for the Sky, Angels One Five.

There are many others - what I like about this thread is that we all have some great thoughts on aviation movies...what memories are behind those? My dad died recently but I remember going to see The Battle of Britain when I was five and consequently I have seen it many times with and without my dad, he loved flying and aircraft and loved seeing planes in action. All these old movies I saw with him.

• Like 1

Going to be a bit obscure now but there was a "made for TV" movie called "Sole Survivor" about a B-25 that crashes in the desert and the crew are ghosts. IIRC William Shatner played the one surviving member of the crew who had baled out. The story was loosely based on the "Lady Be Good". Really, REALLY wish they'd bring it out on DVD - I'd buy it in a heartbeat (although I very much doubt that they ever will...it wasn't even released on video).

I can remember seeing this too many years ago for my liking! The sole survivor, though, was played by Richard Basehart, although William Shatner was in the film. One thing I do remember was when the ghosts of the crew disappeared when their remains were found. Would love to see it again.

Other favourite aviation films, in no particular order:

The Dam Busters

Battle of Britain

633 Squadron

Aces High

Strategic Air Command

Twelve o'clock high

Absolute tosh as far as historical accuracy goes, but one in my collection...

The Red Baron... The new(ish) one with Joseph Fiennes as Cpt Roy Brown.

The lack of ANY historical accuracy doesn't detract from it being a good couple of hours "entertainment", and a well made film with plenty of good flying scenes.

I had to go looking for this title and eventually got it.

Out of the Clouds 1955 A day in the life of London Airport (Heathrow) Its not a documentary, lots of shots of BOAC's hangars, Heathrow central ,North terminal If you like your airliners piston shaped this is the film. Strats galore! Stars James Robertson Justice made by Ealing Films.

Edited by bzn20

First post on this forum:

But couldn't resist adding films:

Chain Lightning with Humphrey Bogart

Task Force with Gary Cooper

Toward the Unknown with William Holden

Fighter Squadron with Edmund O'Brien and Robert Stack

Bombadier with Randolp Scott

Flight From Ashiya with Yul Brynner and Richard Widmark

Bombers B52 with Efrem Zimbalist Jr and Karl Malden with Natalie Wood

Men of the Fighting Lady with Van Johnson

Flat Top with Stirling hayden

Desperate Journey with Erroyl Flynn and Ronald Reagan

A Gathering of Eagles with Rock Hudson and Rod Stewart

Growing up in the sixties it has to be the battle of Britain,seen on the big screen at the pictures,the Bridges at Toko-Ri (we never used to see jets in films)

633 sqn,and Later on Flight of the Intruder,the Right Stuff, NOT Top Gun!Does anyone remember a strange film I think starring Doug Mclure as a P40

pilot shot down in the desert and unable to take off and chased through the whole film in his plane on the ground?

hi ,the film was called death race ,made in 1973 ,i remember watching it.

Fighter Squadron was a good film.

I know some people who just watch Thunderball for the Vulcan's and the B17 at the end.

I seem to remember a film that was about the USAAF and a crew that used the "Bit o' Lace" aircraft. Anyone know the title?