What are your favorite aviation films

blueliner

OK gents...what are your favorite aviation films for aircraft, photography, and story line?

My list includes:

Battle of Britain - Susannah York... lovely bird

633 Squadron - Mosquitoes

The Blue Max - Ursula Andress at differing states of Undress

Piece of Cake - Great Flying

Dive Bomber - first full Technicolor film with classy Alexis Smith

Wing and a Prayer - shows film of the work up of the CV-10 Yorktown

Strategic Air Command

Bridges at Toko-Ri

Dam Busters

Twelve O'clock High

A Guy Named Joe - only film I recall with P-38s

Enough for now...what's yours?

• Like 1

All of the above plus;

-A Bridge Too Far for the parachuting scenes and brilliant music.

-Aces High- for the flying scenes

And others which I cannot think of at the moment!

Cheers

Tony

Growing up in the sixties it has to be the battle of Britain,seen on the big screen at the pictures,the Bridges at Toko-Ri (we never used to see jets in films)

633 sqn,and Later on Flight of the Intruder,the Right Stuff, NOT Top Gun!Does anyone remember a strange film I think starring Doug Mclure as a P40

pilot shot down in the desert and unable to take off and chased through the whole film in his plane on the ground?

"Captains of the Clouds" 1942

Story of bush pilots who join the RCAF and are posted as instructors. Filmed on location in northern Ontario for the bush scenes with assorted machines including the prototype Norseman, Fairchilds and others. The RCAF scenes were filmed on location at active stations - Uplands, Jarvis and others.

The aircraft featured are Ansons, Battles, Fleet Finches, Yales (including at least one still in French markings), Harvards. There is much film work done close in to the aircraft plus excellent flying footage, even practice bombing on the ranges in Lake Ontario. The film ends with some of these instructors ferrying a bunch of Hudsons across the Atlantic.

There are only a few model shots, most of it is live footage. There is only one set of phony markings, a Hurricane from RCAF Debert Nova Scotia dressed up as a German fighter for the climax.

The cast are Warner Bros. pros - Cagney, Hale, Morgan. and a load of excellent character actors. There are also several hundred RCAF personnel including Billy Bishop officiating at a wings parade.

And it is filmed in Technicolor, no colorizing guesswork.

• Like 2

"Is that a man?" "Yes...it is"

The Right Stuff would be very near the top of my list...

Thirded or fourthed or whatever for BoB and Dark Blue World

The Blue Max, Always

And I recently watched Wings, the 1927 silent that won the first ever Best Picture Academy Award (not called Oscars back then...). There are no effects shots, apart from painting on some more flames to the smoke trails of the aircraft plunging towards the ground, so all the flying is real, and they certainly seem to have found a way to carry cameras aloft with their stars. Some huge set piece battles staged on the ground, and some very convincing dogfights up above -- you can really see how the initial contact turns into a melee spread all over the sky. The majority of the pilots (and the director) had flown in combat over France, so they knew what it looked like. The sequences were filmed with the support of the Texas Air Reserves, so there are a lot of Curtis Hawks and some big, early Martin bomber standing in for a Gotha. Oddly, though, they have some real Spads and Fokker D.VIIs, but there's no obvious logic to when they use them -- sometime someone will take off in a Hawk, fight in a Spad, have close ups of guns blazing in a Hawk, and then crash land in a Spad... For a silent film, it's surprisingly gripping, and sometimes really quite moving...

bestest,

M.

Edited by cmatthewbacon

Lots of aviation themed films to choose from , but off the top of my head , in no particular order ;

The Dambusters

The Sound Barrier

Aces High

Flight of the Pheonix [1965]

Andrew

It would have to be split in two for me

Old school;- Battle of Britain.

New school;- Red Tails.

Many more come recommended but these two are for rainy Sundays when the family is out. Throw on the surround sound and sit back and smell the petrol.

:pilot:

• Like 1

Reach for the Sky

Angels One-Five

Command Decision (not really aviation but certainly aviation-related)

The Purple Plain

Like lots of the others previously mentioned - Battle of Britain, 633 Sqn, Dive Bomber etc - but wanted to add a few that are perhaps less well-known...the first in my list excepted.

Command decision and 12 O'clock High are required viewing for many MBA programs in the states.

One I forgot was Final Countdown. That introduced the F-14.

All the above plus

"24 hours to kill"...... 1st ten and last 5 minutes Great shots of Bierut airport 1965. Swissair CV990, MEA Comet and Caravelle, Malev IL-18 and BOAC 707. The rest of the film is forgettable. The MEA Comet is a Connie for inside shots!

The War lover....Steve McQueen... IMO the best B-17 film and a must for all those if you going to build a B-17 kit.

Memphis Belle

Catch 22

Flight of the Phoenix, James Stewart version.

Target Berlin

Airport and Airport 75

Appointment in London... Dirk Bogarde drinking in my old pub near Shepperton and driving a car half mile from my old house.

Battle of Midway

Tora! Tora! Tora!

The Doolittle raid

Edited by bzn20

The Hunters

Flying Leathernecks

Flight of the Intruder...just for the skyraider scene

The Tuskegee Airmen.. The HBO TV movie,much better than Redtails

We were soldiers.. Huey's and Spad's

Battle hymn for the P-51's

Gathering of Eagles for the B-52's

12 o'clock high