Vampire T.11, 8FTS, Swinderby

Hi all!

Here's my latest completion-kit is the new tool Airfix T.11.

I wanted to build a Flying Training Schools Vampire in the yellow bands scheme, and ideally with the big nose code letters to make the scheme a bit more exciting. The kit scheme for WZ507 as preserved 2012 was out, as the real preserved aircraft wears something of a "mish-mash" of T.11 schemes rather than its original service codes etc.

So, casting about online I found this lovely colour photo of XE988, based at RAF Swinderby with 8 FTS in 1957:

http://abpic.co.uk/photo/1199645/

Codes and serials are from Xtradecal and Modeldecal stock sets, the rest of the decals are kit. I added stencils to match period photos of T11s in this scheme where possible, although a few stencils are placed on a "best guess" basis!

The model is brush-painted over Tamiya primer, using Xtracrylix Trainer yellow, and a High-Speed Silver mix of my own devising- about 80:20 Revell Aqua Aluminium : Vallejo white.

The only other alterations to this lovely kit are a handful of wires in the pit, the radio aerials on the wings, removal of some non-period lumps around the nosewheel, cartridge ejector chutes, and some Pavla ejection seats (which do show up OK under the nice clear canopy!)

Hope you like it!

DSCF9191_zpse191075c.jpg

DSCF9192_zps2ada4837.jpg

DSCF9195_zps94967daf.jpg

DSCF9196_zps5bc13bf2.jpg

DSCF9198_zps5d629912.jpg

DSCF9199_zpsf0c580b4.jpg

DSCF9200_zpsdc2ad924.jpg

DSCF9202_zps1762920c.jpg

(The sharp-eyed will notice that the model required repairs after the photo above!)

DSCF9205_zps9927b65b.jpg

Edited by Vulcanicity
  • Like 7

Thanks everyone!

I am a huge fan of the new-mould Airfix line-but this kit in particular looks so perfectly like the subject when finished- somehow it just captures the shapes of real thing too a tee :)

Simon-I find the Revell Alu is just a bit too "metallic" for the High Speed Silver finish, which after all was painted on rather than bare metal-so I add a small dollop of white. The old enamel Humbrol 11 used to be perfect for HSS, but I bought a tub of the acryllic stuff and it was awful!