1/72 - DHC-1 Chipmunk by AZ model - released - new boxing in 2020

Homebee

Oh dear, can I throw a spanner in the works here? When WP833 flew in the "around the World" flight, it sported broad vertical red/white/blue stripes, with the fin being red while the rudder was blue and white. The BA-style "flowing flag" on the vertical surfaces was added by the owner (actually he's a good friend of mine who lives in the US) was only applied late last year. Top marks for getting the antenna fit, rotating beacon fixture, exhaust configuration and stencils correct, but it has to be said that WP833 NEVER flew in these markings while in the RAF.

• Like 1

Can anyone confirm that this is lots better than the ancient Airfix one? I appreciate the mad riveter was let loose on it but once those have been sanded off it builds up really easily - I remember the one Mike Grant built in SAMI and it was amazing!

TT

6 hours ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Can anyone confirm that this is lots better than the ancient Airfix one? I appreciate the mad riveter was let loose on it but once those have been sanded off it builds up really easily - I remember the one Mike Grant built in SAMI and it was amazing!

TT

I built one recently. Light years ahead of the Airfix dinosaur.

Paul.

• Thanks 2

The AZ kit is an improvement over the Airfix one BUT the canopy is a clone of the Airfix kit: complete with the incorrect windscreen and rear portion of the canopy vertical frame which does not exist as part of the frame. Its a sort of reinforcement rod on the inside!!! These need to be filed of f and the part polished to make it acceptable.  The parts break down is almost identical too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 3/4/2020 at 12:12 PM, TEXANTOMCAT said:

TT

On 3/4/2020 at 6:58 PM, Paul Thompson said:

I built one recently. Light years ahead of the Airfix dinosaur.

Paul.

A dinosaur the Airfix kit may be, but I have a herd of them in the stash - 6 to be exact - and I intend to build them all, especially as I have decals for two type of Irish Air Corp markings. Get rid of the rivets, add those anti-spin devices for UK-built aircraft, and it should look OK. At some point, I'd also like to get at least one of the AZ Model kit for comparison.

• Like 1

I too have a half-dozen in the stash! I must admit that I thought Airfix might follow up their 1/72 Tiger with a new tool Chippie a few years ago - they kept the old tool in their catalogue for quite some time so I'm guessing it sold pretty well. Further, it being quite a small aeroplane in that scale I would have thought it would be quite cheap to tool with loads of marking options as well as the alternative Canuck canopy versions....

Here's hoping!

TT

t would be quite cheap to tool with loads of marking options as well as the alternative Canuck canopy versions....

I feel as though I'm constantly repeating myself, but the UK-built Chipmunks and their bubble-canopied Canadian built brethren are VERY different airframes - it's not only the canopy. Here's a few examples of where the DHC-1B-2-S5 differs:

Different engine cowlings,

lacks ground power plug on forward fuselage,

prominent airscoop on RHS under canopy,

reinforced mounting on dorsal spine,

no strakes,

pointier elevator horns,

blunter tailcone,

different windscreen,

cockpit coamings are straight edged,

different fuel gauge/cap assembly,

different wingtips,

no under fuselage NACA-type airscoop,

no downward facing i/d light.

much shorter LE stalling strips

and differently raked and un-faired undercarriage legs.

And these are a few that should be evident in 72nd scale - there are more.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I wasn't picking on you, nor did I intend upsetting you -sorry! It's just that the myth that Canadian-built Chipmunk is just the same as a UK-built Chipmunk only with a bubble canopy is very widespread. Even Airfix believed it!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Rod Blievers said:

I feel as though I'm constantly repeating myself, but the UK-built Chipmunks and their bubble-canopied Canadian built brethren are VERY different airframes - it's not only the canopy. Here's a few examples of where the DHC-1B-2-S5 differs:

Different engine cowlings,

lacks ground power plug on forward fuselage,

prominent airscoop on RHS under canopy,

reinforced mounting on dorsal spine,

no strakes,

pointier elevator horns,

blunter tailcone,

different windscreen,

cockpit coamings are straight edged,

different fuel gauge/cap assembly,

different wingtips,

no under fuselage NACA-type airscoop,

no downward facing i/d light.

much shorter LE stalling strips

and differently raked and un-faired undercarriage legs.

And these are a few that should be evident in 72nd scale - there are more.

A nice summary. Thank you! I wonder what of these is actually covered by AZ. Will be checking with my Canadian kit soon :)

Edited by Dennis_C

11 hours ago, Dennis_C said:

A nice summary. Thank you! I wonder what of these is actually covered by AZ. Will be checking with my Canadian kit soon :)

The kit I had comes as a standard T.10, but parts vary according to the boxing. From the instruction sheet, which covers all versions, there are alternative undercarriage parts, cowlings, airscrews, spinners, rudders, and canopies. The T.30 would have you trim back the tailplane/elevator parts and add new tips. Anti spin strakes are separate plastic parts to be added as needed.

Very little in common with the Airfix kit. Any similarity in parts break down, to my mind at least, is solely because they both adopt the conventions logical in moast aircraft kits. Oh, and the AZ kit has a 13 part interior. Airfix has a couple of pilots.

AZ instructions are pants though. Far too vague, and the style of the drawings doesn't work for me.

Not suggesting slinging the Airfix kits, I know they build up okay given sufficient TLC. Bear in mind though, if you have a recent offering, the clear part mould has deteriorated much more than the rest of the kit.

Paul.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...