1:48 Italeri Tornado IDS "Black Panthers"

John.R

Hi,

After finishing the F-51D Mustang around 10 days ago I've had a small break from starting any new models.

After pre-spraying both the Lightning F.2a & Spitfire F mk.22 in a thinned mixture of Humbrol 11 I decided to start the Tornado which has been awaiting the build for a while now, I've used the same mixture with varying pressure on the airbrush (borrowed a small compressor), I sprayed all the sprue's.

Here's some of the unboxing & photo's once it had been sprayed:

Box:
261zvh5.jpg

Drop tanks Without & With Paint:
2wg4xtj.jpg
mrvcbs.jpg

Sprue A:
fxtag8.jpg
2w5oak9.jpg

Sprue B:
264j0cp.jpg
6it9o3.jpg

Sprue C:
rm928l.jpg
2uh0faq.jpg

Decals to be Used:
slnofs.jpg
"A" from this set
2ypnpky.jpg

The underside of the fuselage/wings is going to be sprayed Black tomorrow, and hopefully will get the decal's on before assembling it fully.

Thanks for looking & comments welcome.

• Like 1

Whats the reasoning behind painting them before assembly.

Hi,

For me it's more a case of if something happens while painting I can repair or remove the paint much easier then if it was assembled.

In all honesty though I still have a lot to learn with painting these kits, especially with using an airbrush, so further down the line the assembly may be done before painting.

hope this helps with why I pre paint them.

• Like 1

Hi,

For me it's more a case of if something happens while painting I can repair or remove the paint much easier then if it was assembled.

In all honesty though I still have a lot to learn with painting these kits, especially with using an airbrush, so further down the line the assembly may be done before painting.

hope this helps with why I pre paint them.

But surely you'll be taking paint off when you come to clean up the joins and filling/sanding any gaps etc, which you'll then have to repaint anyway so you may as well paint after assembly I would think.

Please don't think I'm telling you how to build your own kit, just thought it may save you some work further on.

Colin

I shall lookforward to this, each modeller has thier own take on painting and buiilding, the coat you have appleid will certainly be usefull for any weathering at a later stage (paint chipping etc)

• Like 2

as you have not progressed too much, maybe it is still early enough to put the stabilizing fins of the fuel tanks at a more correct angle. Italeri moulded them at 90°, it is more like 140 on the real tank.

Thats a lovely shiny Silver ....which paint are you using ?

Andy

I'm using Humbrol 11, the local model shop had some 14ml Acrylic pot's in and ran them through the airbrush at varied pressures.

Did you do anymore work on this :pilot::pilot:

I've had a fair bit to do since I've started this, repairing & fixing computers for family & friends, so haven't had a chance to do much at all... Although I have finished assembling the front half and tail, I've gone out of my comfort zone so to speak with the Pit which I'll try and get some photo's up tomorrow before I go back to this on Sunday properly.

as you have not progressed too much, maybe it is still early enough to put the stabilizing fins of the fuel tanks at a more correct angle. Italeri moulded them at 90°, it is more like 140 on the real tank.

I'll have a go at that, thanks for the heads up.

Small update:

Instead of painting the various sections in the pit a flat black color, I decided to try and see how it would turn out if I used Pastel's as I didn't want to overburden the model with too much black (as it has a black underside/ sections on the top/ and wings) and this is how its turned out:
2mw6ww7.jpg
29mqb20.jpg

Just need to touch up the seat's & possibly add an ejection handle if I can make one before fitting the canopy in the open position:

2u3w1as.jpg

Hopefully will get some more finished this weekend.

Thanks for looking.