Revell A380: Ways to make it better?

At the risk of coming over all Rivet-Counterish, I have in mind a BA A380 (and if you're 'not bothered about accuracy', best tune out now :-)). I know some of the short-comings of the kit (I've been building one since 2007..... Yep, really should finish that before I start another one!), just wondering if the BM collective mind is aware of any others..?

What I can think of so far:

- Cockpit window shape

- Landing lights

- Main Gear Doors (wing and body)

- Intake shape on the fwd belly fairing

- Flaptrack Fairings mostly too long and asymmetry due to RAT not present

- Delete wheel brake on rearmost axle of body gear

- Some raised details on lower wing surface not present

Has anyone spotted anything else of note? I quite fancy extended flaps and slats, maybe spoilers. I might even go so far as modifying gear into an unloaded state....

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Andrew

PS. am I right in thinking BA is now whiter than white?

Interesting topic.

Nose wheels way too small, they should be 8.8mm diameter x 3.2mm wide (rim 3.9mm diameter). Revell did the same mistake on their 747-8 Intercontinental. No big deal, got loads of spare wheels in my spares box.

Wing landing gears, drag stay and upper portion wrong shaped, will post photos.

Wing landing gear wells wrong shaped -> as a consequence, their doors are wrong shaped, so are the bogie doors, will post photos.

I still LOVE this kit, and BA's livery's the way to go!

Regards, Steven

• Like 1

I read on airliners(dot)net that they switched to a brighter white, which was introduced about the same time as the fuselage silver crest. I'm certain the blue is also brighter, it looks so much more vivid.

Regard, Steven

• 2 weeks later...

WOW,

I had no idea there were so many things not up to spec with the Revell kit.

I have one about to be finished in Qantas Livery as soon as I get my Corougard from Rich.

Now matter what you do to that big mama, it is hard to take the "ugly" out! :)

Walter

The white is a whiter white, the blue hasn't changed, it probably looks brighter because it's fresh!

So far, only the new types have been brightened, although the To Fly,To Serve crest has been added to other aircraft so the two are not related.

• Like 1

WOW,

I had no idea there were so many things not up to spec with the Revell kit.

I have one about to be finished in Qantas Livery as soon as I get my Corougard from Rich.

Now matter what you do to that big mama, it is hard to take the "ugly" out! :)

Walter

IIRC tooling of the Revell kit was actually started before the aircraft was fully finalised so a lot of details changed as a result. Andrew has caught pretty much all of the major ones. If you want to be really picky: on the lower wing as well as the missing wiring conduits and MLG reinforcing plate, the manhole access panels are two short (29 instead of 31) in the wrong place (too far forward), the panel lines aren't correct - there's a missing skin panel and the lower leading edge access panels are missing (the slats end too near the front spar panel line). To be honest 95% won't notice these; I suspect even those who work on the beastie. :lol:

Be aware that the upper wing box area is not finished in a metallic Corrogard finish as used on earlier aircraft. Airbus now uses a product called Aeroflex which is RAL 7004 grey in colour, unless the customer specifies a different shade - like Lufthansa's white wings.

• Like 2