Tamiya Lancaster BI variant

Here we go with a Lancaster Bomber - using Eduards photoetch for the interior but otherwise will be out the box which being a Tamiya means its will all go together perfectly. Hopefully this one will stand out but there's a lot of these about at the moment so got my work cut out I think!

Here's progress - three evenings work so far but so far so good, will be closing it up tonight all going as planned. I've come the conclusion there's no 'correct' interior, some were black and some green, I figure the pale green makes it easier to see whats in there once finished?

d02ae070-8fa1-47bb-a0d0-b7690bfb07ff_zps

LanasterInterior4_zps0368dad1.jpg

LanasterInterior1_zpsc6015311.jpg

LanasterInterior7_zps08695f11.jpg

LanasterInterior3_zpscca6aec3.jpg

LanasterInterior9_zpsbb13b1b9.jpg

LanasterInterior10_zps60e3e193.jpg

• Like 5

Yes, that interior puts mine to shame! About the fit, it all fits together well accept for the nacelles which are way off so be ready for that.

Nothing I've seen here makes me think they will stop you though!

Have you thought about what individual you're going to do? Masks or decals?

/Erik

Edited by somnas

Don't count on this kit going together easily- probably the hardest tamiya kit I ever built. The engine nacellesare particularly hard to do- I replaced mine with resin ones but even then take a lot of sanding to fit.

Looking great so far- keep up the good work.

i'll warm my milliput up in anticipation!

just going to go down the route of the standard kit decals (the B1 'Picadilly Princess' version with the H2S radar dome)

That's the one I did. A word of warning though- the upper wing roundels are far too small on the kits decals- I ended up making stencils and spraying them on.

Cheers Alan - I might see if Hannants stock anything in a closer scale or have some pre-cut masks and i'll have a go spraying them. I've got an idea regarding breaking up the black fuselage by using a few of the Alclad Laquers (smoke, burnt metal etc). Might work / might not but I can easily undo Alclad if it doesn't work out as it goes on so thin

• 1 month later...

Those engine covers weren't the best fit in the world but all filled and sanded and look OK now - I think the grimy blackness which is going to cover them will hide any imperfections and i'm fairly sure they looked dog rough for real anyway:

photo4_zpsc6b0b294.jpg

photo3_zps90c65e20.jpg

photo2_zpsa1819b4e.jpg

photo1_zps1e91a85e.jpg

I've bowed to inwood pressure and decided to 'Phantom of the Ruhr' it - the decals seemed to be hard to get a few months back but Hannants suddenly had them back in stock so decision made. The BMF plane is a bit cobbled together of different variants due to its history of being a test bed plane in the 50's etc and parts sourced where they could to get it back to WWII spec so i'm going to do my best to make it look like the real thing although probably a bit more skanky. It's a big sod isn't it?

photo4_zpse3891818.jpg

photo3_zps0a265a6d.jpg

photo2_zps0aea3877.jpg

photo1_zps64cba6ae.jpg

(not the best pics, i just used my iphone rather than my Olympus)

I've bowed to inwood pressure and decided to 'Phantom of the Ruhr' it - the decals seemed to be hard to get a few months back but Hannants suddenly had them back in stock so decision made. The BMF plane is a bit cobbled together of different variants due to its history of being a test bed plane in the 50's etc and parts sourced where they could to get it back to WWII spec so i'm going to do my best to make it look like the real thing although probably a bit more skanky. It's a big sod isn't it?

I'm doing the Phantom as well, as soon as I get round to it of course... Looks good!

Got a top coat on and first stage of gloss - i've mottled the camo right from the start using various greens and blown a bit of nato black over the gloss black following but half a dozen shades of Alclad (Burnt Metal, Jet exhaust, Magnesium, Burnt Iron etc)

Lancaster6_zpsf4f68aa2.jpg

Lancaster5_zps3a292fd4.jpg

Lancaster4_zps12db6321.jpg

Lancaster3_zps7c984a2f.jpg

Lancaster2_zpsf19a0e5d.jpg

Lancaster1_zps806702e6.jpg

Lancaster8_zps929bc95e.jpg

Lancaster7_zpse23879af.jpg

Being very lazy with horrible iphone pictures but I think some nice effects might arise once washes, weathering, chipping etc has taken place and then the final matt coat - still a lot to do though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not the right time of evening for photography and a fair bit still to do including the contents of the bomb bay, clear bits and final weathering but something looking like a Lancaster has appeared!

(The curtains were inherited with the house by the way)

DSC01043_zpsff7f691e.jpg

DSC01045_zps937ff3ba.jpg

• Like 2

OMG - I am so glad I joined this forum - this is superb work. I had this kit and about another £100's worth of resin and photo etch add-ons for it but it sat on the shelf for too long and it scared me every time I took a peep in the box so I sold it as a job lot - this big lady's potential is beyond my skill set. Thank you for posting.