Seems Like This Section Of BM Is Very Quiet!

Pielstick

I use Prepar3d v1.4 and love it. Although my main passion is fast jet, I like pottering about with either Orbx or my UK photographic scenery. I have spent too much money in the past on P3D just like I am spending too much money on modelling.

Glad this section has picked up a bit, as I have called in a couple of times but not seen anything happening.

Cheers,

Tom.

• Like 1

I have Janes USAF which I play on an old desktop PC that I have.

I am quite lethal at it when i play it which i haven't done for a while.

I'm hoping to fire that one up again in the next couple of weeks as I never quite finished it :oops: Really loved that sim! It was one of the first (along with F4) that had clickable cockpit items.

Did anyone ever play F-16 Aggressor?

Or even F/A-18 Korea - my first sim ever :blush:

Tim

I'm hoping to fire that one up again in the next couple of weeks as I never quite finished it :oops: Really loved that sim! It was one of the first (along with F4) that had clickable cockpit items.

Did anyone ever play F-16 Aggressor?

Or even F/A-18 Korea - my first sim ever :blush:

Tim

I remember F/A-18 Korea. It was awesome. Of all the old ones though, my favourite was the original Tornado and it's Desert Storm sequel. Wonderful avionics and weapons sim. Handling was quite good for the time as well.

I realised at that time that I didn't need friends any more...

Cheers,

Tom.

Heading away from combat simulators (just for a moment), i can highly reccomend A2A Simulation aircraft. The Spitfire, Mustang, P40 and B17 are particulary good, and about as close you can get to firirng up a real one and going for a flight. Sayint that though, the P47, Piper Cub and B377 are excellent too.

The latest release is the C172, and with that one that they have really pushed the boat out.

Its just a shame there isnt a combat sim you can use them with - That would be perfect.

Nick

Yep the A2A stuff in FSX is excellent, pretty much anything from them is an instant purchase for me. Another FSX developer to look out for is Real Air, their stuff is also absolutely first class.

If anyone's been following DCS the third party MiG-21bis module has apparently been cancelled only a few weeks away from release. Looks like all was not as it appeared with the team developing it...

• Like 1

Milviz do a Sabre that really has me drooling :Tasty:

That's bad to hear about the MiG-21! Will have to have a read of that story. Personally I'm champing at the bit to get the Mi-8 - the cold start video Wags has posted is pure audio pr0n :P

On the back of this thread, I fired up Jane's USAF yesterday, since I never finished all the missions. At the time I last played it - almost 15 years ago now! - I thought it was incredible - clickable cockpit, high res models and 'pits, lots of well-modelled weapons and the campaigns were quite engaging. Now? I think it's terrible!! Looks a bit off, systems are very basically done, flight models are just wrong and the AI gets - interesting.

Just goes to show how spoiled we've been. First came Il-2 and Flanker with pretty good graphics, FM and systems modelling. Then F4 Superpak etc gave us epic systems modelling and FM, while LO:MAC gave us superb graphics (if little else :P ) Now we have FSX/DCS/BMS 4.32 and things will never be the same again. While this might not be the golden age for quantity, it's definitely the golden age for quality.

Tim

I fly DCS mustang probably every day, on a server, Dogs of War, i am improving my fighting skills... I can shoot down other pilots now, and kill the 190.

If any one wants to fly, drop me a pm.

I'm going to qualify for PPL - use sim mostly for navigation training, radio and memorizing checklists.

I fly Cessna 152 or 172 with Saitek yoke and pedals and must admit it has nothing common with reality :)

Thanks Pielstick for the advice and info; I have bought and downloaded IL-2 1946, but not yet fired it up to check it out in detail. So far have only loaded basic, but not the updates, etc. From what I have read it might be sensible to create a separate installation that I can mod and play around with and keep the original clean. Yet to find time to sort it all out, but looking forward to having a go.

Hi all,

I am an newbie to this forum but have a bit of experience with IL-2 1946 (modded and original) having played it since the early days back in 2001 when it was but a shadow of what it has now become.

For me it represents the finest combat flight sim available on the market to PC gamers and the amount of content added by the mods is quite simply awesome. You can fly pretty much any scenario between WW1 and Vietnam and everything in between. I love it due to the fact it gives you the opportunity to fly aircraft in combat situations that are rarely incorporated into one sim. The currently list of flyables must be approaching 500 aircraft and some of them are modelled with painstaking love and care.

There are several places you can get lots more information, one of the places I visit daily is sas1946.com. From here you can get lots of help and a ton of downloads to satisfy your flight sim addiction :D Have a look through some of the screenshots it will give you a fair idea of what sort of things are out there and for what IL-2:1946 costs these days, it is (imho) well worth a punt.

Have a look here - http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php?topic=3623.0

SLob - if you have got the hard drive space, it is well worth having a couple of installs. It means you can play around with different downloads and choose what suits you and your PC best. Good luck and enjoy!

Say, a question about IL-2 DBW - can you still use it for online play, say, among friends? I'm trying to determine if it has any advantage for my normal flying group to switch to it from UPMod.

I haven't played any flight sims online in years now. From what I understand DBW was created as an offline mod pack.

That's my understanding as well, I just wasn't sure if it was still even possible to use for online play. I fly cooperatively (aside from the one joker who thinks it's hilarious to light his element leader up when formating) with the same four or five people whenever I play online, so competition/hacks/nonsense like that isn't an issue for us, really.

Wow, beyond my league, I'm still blown away by the Ace Combat games on my antique PS2. I even considered upgrading to a PS3 to play online but the language, attitudes and racism I witnessed on Call of Duty 4 has put me off online games for life. Hats off to you gentlemen!

• Like 1

Wow, beyond my league, I'm still blown away by the Ace Combat games on my antique PS2. I even considered upgrading to a PS3 to play online but the language, attitudes and racism I witnessed on Call of Duty 4 has put me off online games for life. Hats off to you gentlemen!

That's the nice thing about playing only with people I know via a direct connection; none of the riff-raff, all of the Hun-shooting.

Simple solution: Don't play COD :)

One shouldn't play COD. Ever. Never ever. Never ever ever ever ever ever.

Tim

• Like 1

Guess what? I stopped playing online about 4 years ago. If I thought it could be as polite and mutually respectful as we behave on Britmodeller then I would be interested, but I think Britmodeller is truly unique in that respect!

I am purely an offline player for some of the reasons mentioned here. Sadly the online game environment is rarely (in my opinion) as polite, well mannered and good humoured as forums, hence why I stay away. When all is said and done they are just games to be enjoyed...

Speaking of which to clarify Dark Blue World (DBW for IL-2:1946) is dedicated for offline players and if that is your bag it is well worth the time to download and install. Sorry, sound like I am drumming up "business"!