Red Arrow Hawk 1/32 - backdated to the Kemble days- Nearly there

Yes that's right I need a bloke! I've dropped the model and the port u/c leg as snapped at the thinnest, narrowest part of the trailing arm. Pinning it has not worked as the plastic is too darn thin. So the only way I can solve this is to have a member of the groundcrew 'examing' the u/c bay, where by he will be propping up the entire wing! Come to think of it, I can make it to look my father.

So does anyone have a suitable figure I can pinch, preferably in a crouching/kneeling position, that I can work into a RAF groundcrewman?

Can you believe that this happens just when I was about to call this model done :doh:

I've dropped the model and the port u/c leg as snapped at the thinnest, narrowest part of the trailing arm........Can you believe that this happens just when I was about to call this model done :doh:

Oh yes I can believe that. I've decided that the extent of one's clutziness increases exponentionally as the end of a build gets closer....

Good luck with it Andy.

• 1 month later...

Good evening all

If it wasn't for this......

DSCF0015_zps81c48f7f.jpg

breaking off, this model would be done now.

So to help prop the model up I have taken one figure from the Matchbox Tiger Moth kit and heavily modified it to this

DSCF0019_zps30d44018.jpg

I am undecided on how to finish it. I could depict him in the standard RAF grey overall, (as would be correct for out of display season or a member of the rectification ground crew), or as a member of the travelling ground crew. Back in the 80s, only the latter wore the blue overalls, (known as the 'blues', it was a much darker, midnight blue back than as it is today). As my father was in the rectification section (nowadays there is no real distinction and the blues are worn by everyone) I suppose I should do the grey overall. We shall see.

So onto the model itself and this is where we are.It used to be common practice to wrap a pair of ear defenders around the upper IFF aerial, so I made a pair

DSCF0011_zpsd6ba3c4f.jpg

I made a scratch built EUMS , following the excellent pictures as provided by Hawkeeper.

DSCF0013_zps658ad897.jpg

I have opened up the foot steps and made some intake FOD plates.

DSCF0016_zps3ff29067.jpg

Each aerial bore the British Aerospace trademark of the time on each side. They have pretty much worn off the aircraft now. I have had a go at adding them (that aerial needs some filing at the edges as it looks a bit rough).

DSCF0018_zps1b5a7edb.jpg

Lastly, a pair of wooden chocks with a Red Arrow silhouette on each face. These were replaced by ones made from rubber when they moved to Scampton. My dad kept a pair and used them to stop our car rolling down our drive when he used to work on it!

DSCF0020_zpsae31a0fe.jpg

Edited by andy wood
  • Like 6

Good to have this back on track Andy. Lovely work there.

Thank you. Honour to have such words from such a prodigious builder

Aye, lovely work - and a hugely useful and welcome reference thread for me seeing as I want to do a couple of early 80's hawks in 1/72. TVM Andy :)

I'm glad it has been helpful - just make sure you acknowledge it copiously in your subsequent WIP- ahem, wink, wink

• Like 1

Thank you. Honour to have such words from such a prodigious builder.

No, thank you. Thanks to your kind gesture I now have a usable airbrush cleaning station. Its working well now.

Cheers,

Nigel

Ok, I decided to have the figure done out as part of the travelling ground crew, in the earlier, dark blue, overall. He looks a bit rough close up, but hey, I am no figure expert, and he is going to be hidden underneath the wing. The squadron crest and Union Jack are from a 1/72 Red Arrow decal sheet, with an old data plate adapted to represent the name badge. Painted masking tape is used to represent the collar and epaulettes, with white paper used to represent the t-shirt underneath.

Well this is most likely the last update. All I have to do know is fix the wheel back, and place the figure in such a way as to keep the weight off it. I also need to add the pitot cover, safety pins in the MDC gear, and some micro klear to represent the glass in the hydraulic gauges.

Once some fine weather arrives, I am going to take the model to a significant location, get some snaps, and then post them on the RFI section. So until then.......

DSCF0021_zpsivybwc1k.jpg

DSCF0022_zps3nuovcd2.jpg

• Like 5

I made a scratch built EUMS , following the excellent pictures as provided by Hawkeeper.

DSCF0013_zps658ad897.jpg

Andy,

This is a tremendous build and your family connection to the aircraft adds a whole new dimension to your work.

Can I ask you, how did you go about the small white lettering for the pilot's and Circus member's names under the windscreen? I've not seen that depicted in any kit or aftermarket decal sheet.

I hope your trip to 'a significant location' goes well and I look forward to seeing the pictures.

Phil

Thanks Phil

Basically the names, which reads Sqn Ldr B R Hoskins and Cpl T E Sellers, was created using the ones supplied on the kits decal sheet (of which I had two of) by using a jewellers eyepiece and a sharp knife, and as long as you don't look at the finished item under magnifying glass, it will do

Cheers Andy,

I didn't realise the kit included the names. Given their size, even in 1/32, I bet you had fun even seeing what you were doing.

Phil

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is it finished yet

Clive

It is. Just waiting to take some photos in a significant location and then I will post them

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...