Red Arrow Hawk 1/32 - backdated to the Kemble days- Nearly there

• 3 weeks later...

I will be keeping a very close eye on this thread Andy, I have a feeling it might come in very handy indeed! Inspirational work so far mate, you can tell that you have had contact with Hawks before.

Hello all (and hello to Acky190 ( :winkgrin: cheers)

This will be the last update for a while as the further differences are largely down to the paint scheme.. So until primer is applied, this is where we are at....

The kit supplied strobe light needs to be replaced with the earlier style beacon light. I heat plunged some clear sprue using the teardrop holes you find in the fret of Eduard PE Sets.

DSCF0005_zps3f387b4b.jpg

For reasons that I still do not know, early Hawks (not just Red Arrow)had this portion of the u/c door painted yellow, which dirtied very quickly due to brake dust and grime. Now white on the Reds to match the white arrow on the fuselage and wings, if you look closely at underside shots of the team at the time you can just about make out the difference.

DSCF0004_zps30262393.jpg

Lastly the u/c legs. The main hubs had their wheel rims painted a similar yellow. The picket markings (the anchor) and the tow bar hitch marking (the circle) were roundel blue on the teams aircraft. It is only quite recently that they have changed to yellow. As I can only get these markings in either black or yellow, I had to finely cut up some suitably coloured decal (from a 1/72 Fujimi Red Arrow sheet in fact). The brake discs/inside face of the hub are a brick red. I might have to give those tyres a rub down and repaint as they look a bit rough, don't they?

Taa-raa for now.

DSCF0003_zps9a690aa5.jpg

Edited by andy wood
  • Like 2

ooppsie...I have given you all a bit of misinformation about the brake discs. Whilst they are brick red, the hub itself is still grey. Don't paint them like I have. I have now corrected mine.

Andy,

IIRC in the early days of the Hawk there was a 'yellow' part of the MLG door made of a softish, 'plasticised' material.

However, If you look at the photos on the walk round for the Hawk you will see that this panel is another part of the door to what you have marked and it is not yellow on modern A/C.

Also, again in the early days of the Hawk when a 'three-plate' brake was fitted, you had to fit the correct standard of wheel. The wheel rim was painted yellow on a three plate brake, (the original brake fitted was a two-plate brake, and this remained grey).

Also, the colour of the brake was not a 'brick red', it was the normal discoloured 'hot' type of finish which to my mind is a light 'brownish' type of colour.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Brian

• Like 1

Hello Brian

So it was plastic type material, was it? I know they are not painted yellow now, but they were back in the era that I am modelling it. Thanks for the explanation about why the wheel rims were yellow Below is a photo of a Hawk undergoing winter servicing, where you can clearly see the yellow bits. My late father is at the top right next the canopy. He is the one with the glasses and 'tache.

BEE638BB_1143_EC82_2E7E986290DB74C3_zps6

Interesting comment about the brakes. I thought there was a distinct reddish hue to the brown. I wonder if there is a subtle change in hue to due prolonged wear/use, etc.

Edited by andy wood
  • Like 1

This will be the last update for a while as the further differences are largely down to the paint scheme.. So until primer is applied, this is where we are at....

The kit supplied strobe light needs to be replaced with the earlier style beacon light. I heat plunged some clear sprue using the teardrop holes you find in the fret of Eduard PE Sets.

DSCF0005_zps3f387b4b.jpg

For reasons that I still do not know, early Hawks (not just Red Arrow)had this portion of the u/c door painted yellow, which dirtied very quickly due to brake dust and grime. Now white on the Reds to match the white arrow on the fuselage and wings, if you look closely at underside shots of the team at the time you can just about make out the difference.

DSCF0004_zps30262393.jpg

Lastly the u/c legs. The main hubs had their wheel rims painted a similar yellow. The picket markings (the anchor) and the tow bar hitch marking (the circle) were roundel blue on the teams aircraft. It is only quite recently that they have changed to yellow. As I can only get these markings in either black or yellow, I had to finely cut up some suitably coloured decal (from a 1/72 Fujimi Red Arrow sheet in fact). The brake discs/inside face of the hub are a brick red. I might have to give those tyres a rub down and repaint as they look a bit rough, don't they?

Taa-raa for now.

DSCF0003_zps9a690aa5.jpg

that small triangular part isn't painted, it's a rubbery resin material & is usually left in it's natural colour, but sometimes painted in the same external colour as the parent a/c.

Edited by Hawkkeeper

DSCF0005_zps3f387b4b.jpg

DSCF0004_zps30262393.jpg

Taa-raa for now.

DSCF0003_zps9a690aa5.jpg

brake units are light grey as per the legs, the red is the dust from the pads/disc of the brake mechanism, hawk brake units are common to all UK T1 & 1A inc read arrows a/c. we change these regulary as the only last a few weeks,

I'm current on hawks [736nas] formerly fradu, so can help with ant other info you may need.

Edited by Hawkkeeper
  • Like 1

Thanks for the offer Hawkeeper. I find the technical/mechanical aspects of an aircraft to be very interesting (that is why I joined the RAF as an rigger. Shame injury in training halted my Air Force career.)

I welcome the nuggets of info you and Brian can give. Keep it up!

All have the 3 plate brakes for some years now, certainly were fitted when I started on majors at Abingdon in mid 1988,

I personally have never seen any hawk with the original 2 plate brake units,

your both welcome, I'm also able to take specific photo's of our a/c at work if you need any thing clarifying.

Hawkkeeper,

So have all Hawk been fitted with the three-plate brakes now?

Or have they all reverted to two-plate?

Cheers, Brian

Edited by Hawkkeeper
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Working on u/c legs today doing a fluid replen, as we removed the wheel/tyre to assist with access, I took these of the 3 plate brake units used on UK Hawk T1 & 1A a/c & the inside face of the wheel assembly.

the sticking up parts on each brake rotor plate fit in the grooves inside the wheel hub, wheel drives the rotors,

in centre of stub axle is the wheel generator for that side of the brakes anti skid system, the hub cap has a slot for the cross nar & to protrusion that fit in slots on the wheel hub outer face. all secured with a wire spring clip.

inside the wheel inner face -- the 3 red alloy nuts are fusible plugs these have a solder centre which will melt at a pre- determined temperature to prevent the wheel/tyre exploding if the brakes are over heated.

each brake unit has 1 fluid line in & a bleed screw on the top, 4 pistons in each backplate, the painted on number is the number of the heat pack [brake stator & rotor pack] that has been fitted, each backplate is allowed to be used 5 times so this heat pack is the 3rd of 5, after the 5th the backplate is scrapped.

you can see the brake units is secured to the u/c leg by 2 big bolts/nuts & split pinned, a hawk brake unit can be replaced from start to finish the job in 1 hour including doing the paperwork.

wheel hub inner face

WP_20140612_005_zpsafbb44b3.jpg

brake to leg bolts

WP_20140612_004_zps67be6113.jpg

brake face plate & stub axle

WP_20140612_003_zps15be0141.jpg

brake unit overall view

WP_20140612_002_zps9e46be57.jpg

backplate face

WP_20140612_001_zpsc6a7e29e.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you. Very informative. What is the rectangular frame below the main leg axle (bottom picture) for? Often wondered that.

• 1 month later...

Good afternoon follow BMers.

I am now approaching the dreaded painting stage, a step which I more often than not trip up upon. I have been busy adding surface detailing, for example all the riveting and the numerous vents which have been simulated by drilling out fine holes or using mico tubing. I thought annotating my photos might help as to where enhancements have been made. Not all vents have been highlighted by the way!DSCF0055_zps1e3f9b4e.jpg

DSCF0057_zps30765e12.jpgDSCF0058_zps51366971.jpgDSCF0062_zpsac638fa6.jpgDSCF0060_zps3e568446.jpgDSCF0063_zpsa2c938ee.jpgDSCF0002_zpscc437bbd.jpgDSCF0038_zpscbb5fc5a.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks Jer.

Folks, if you are viewing this via IE, all my annotations on the photos do not appear. Try Chrome or Firefox instead. IE is just pants.

Kind words sdk_uk. Thanks

Hawk has now had it's final coat of grey primer. Just a small couple areas to work on and then it's on with the white

Edited by andy wood