Spitfire PR MkXIX

stevej60

Hi folks,just started Airfix,s Spitfire PR Mkxix ,and looking on the web have seen the BoB memorial flights example with invasion

stripes and would love to finish it as that example,I can rustle up the fin flash and roundels out of spares and as no serials seem

to be worn be able to do it,was there aircraft finished in an authentic scheme with the stripes and no codes?

thanks Steve

Hi folks,just started Airfix,s Spitfire PR Mkxix ,and looking on the web have seen the BoB memorial flights example with invasion

stripes and would love to finish it as that example,I can rustle up the fin flash and roundels out of spares and as no serials seem

to be worn be able to do it,was there aircraft finished in an authentic scheme with the stripes and no codes?

thanks Steve

Steve,

Don't know if this is the BBMF one (suspect not) but it is an early PR.XIX with invasion stripes and no codes . . . and I know it's got the wrong wheels on :-)

P1140291.jpg

Scheme from "On Target Profiles 8: Photo Reconaissance Spitfires in Worldwide Service" by John Freeman. That may be worth a look if you can find it . . .

regards,

Martin

You'll have a little work to do, if you want it as a 1944 airframe, since the first 22 airframes (all with RM--- serials) had no pressurisation ( no intake on the port engine cover,) so were fitted with a cockpit door. The aircraft that were available in June 1944 might have had only fuselage D-day stripes, but photos are rare, and XIs did have full stripes. The aircraft did carry serials, on the fuselage, in the usual place, but in 4" white letters/numbers, plus a single individual letter just below the first and second numbers of the serial. RM643 "Z" and RM635 "Y" appear in my files, and both entered service in May 1944.

Edgar