Revell 1/72 RF-4E -can it built into a USAFE RF-4C?

PaulR

Evening all!

All as per the title, really - can you mod the revell rf-4e into a USAFE rf-4c? I'd like to a 10th TRW phantom - am on a bit of a USAFE 80s kick, but can't find/afford the hasegawa kit!

Many thanks for any pointers.

Paul

Be careful as RF-4s had two types of nose - doubtless the Phantom experts can give more details.

Yes, the original nose had the cameras under a squared fairing on the nose undersides. This was followed by an updated version that has a more rounded shape in this area.

The Revell box only includes the squared style as this was used on all German RF-4Es. The USAF RF-4C used both styles, so check pictures of the aircraft you want to model first.. or choose a subject with the "square nose".

Bad news: this is the old tool from the late '70s/early '80s, not the more recent one. This only has the long F-4E (and RF-4E) exhausts

If you can find one, Italeri did an RF-4C many years ago! I had a built one but sold it recently. Heres a pic:

fnql.jpg

Its finished in an early scheme and is of the 10thTRW, Alconbury.

If you can find one, Italeri did an RF-4C many years ago! I had a built one but sold it recently. Heres a pic:

I had forgotten about the Italeri kit ! Quite bad from my side as not only I built this years ago but the completed model is on the shelf just in front of me and I can see it right now...

Being an older kit (early '80s) it is not as good as the Revell kit, has raised panel lines and quite little detail, especially in the cockpit. Interestingly though the box included both types of exhaust together with decals for a USAF RF-4C and a German RF-4E. The camera fairing included was the only early squared style.

I see KingKit has one in stock at £14.99. I believe however that this can be found for less at model shows or on the bay