Tamiya 1/48 Mustang Mk III (95% OOB) and 100% Complete....

Evening Britmodellers

Today I have made a start on my RAF Mustang Mk III, as with my Spitfire it will be 95% OOB. I have used bits of Eduard photo etch for the cockpit and HGW seat belts.

P1000682_zps8841b6a3.jpg

P1000681_zpsf7b91198.jpg

P1000680_zpsabc25ab4.jpg

P1000679_zps8f8e7345.jpg

Thanks for looking and as ever critique is always welcome.

Yours aye

Iain

• Like 1

Looking great so far!! This is a truly wonderful kit. I've just bought the Revell/ICM Mustang III, which is a blatant clone, so will be interested to see if the fit is as good - certainly a lot more flash than on the Tamiya version I have recently stuck together.

Have fun mate, will be popping in regularly!!

Val

Looks good, you can't beat Tamiya for build quality & ease of construction. What scheme will you be doing it in?

Pete.

Hi Pete

I plan to do her in 315 Sqn colours as FZ154, PK*N June 1944 using the Techmod decals (after my fight with the Tamiya Spitfire decals I thought it prudent!)

Thanks for looking

Yours aye

Iain

You are a brave man using HGW seatbelts in 1:48! I've uesed them in 1:32 for my Hurricane IIc last year and more recently on my 81 Sqn Spitfire IX, but I also got them for my 5 sqn Thunderbolt last year but took one look at the minuscule size and gave up! Very impressed you managed to seemble them - you must have better eyesight and steadier hands than me :D

Edited by Kallisti

Evening everyone

I've managed to get some paint on my Mustang. The photos show it just after I've removed the masking tape, so you're all seeing it warts n' all. Over all I'm quite happy with how its turned out, the stripes are a little too 'clean' for my liking as I know that from looking at period photo's their application was quite hap-hazard and quite rough (to that end I wasn't very accurate with my masking to try and give a rushed finish).

P1000684_zps71868888.jpg

P1000683_zps82b70094.jpg

P1000687_zps0d87edee.jpg

P1000686_zps05f6438b.jpg

P1000685_zps0dae836f.jpg

I'm going to leave it to cure for a couple of days before I tidy up any rough areas, the weather here in Kernow land is gonna be rubbish and I don't fancy getting soaked to the skin getting to my work shop (I have a summer house in the garden).

As ever any observations, criticism, hints or tips are more than welcome.

Have a great weekend

Yours aye

Iain

• Like 1

Iain..

I am in Mustang heaven seeing your stupendous work.

Beautifully started and the seat belts et al are super.

:goodjob:

Hey Houston

Thanks for the kind comments mate...much apprechaited!

You are a brave man using HGW seatbelts in 1:48! I've uesed them in 1:32 for my Hurricane IIc last year and more recently on my 81 Sqn Spitfire IX, but I also got them for my 5 sqn Thunderbolt last year but took one look at the minuscule size and gave up! Very impressed you managed to seemble them - you must have better eyesight and steadier hands than me :D

Hey Kallisti

Ha ha yeah the HGW belts are very small and fiddly, I must admit that I substituted masking tape for a couple of the belts as the HGW ones were too small to manipulate and I did invest in an Optivisor which has proven itself as a good investment (35 quid from Hobbycraft)..

Thanks for looking in mate.

Yours aye

Iain

Evening all

Thought I'd risk the weather and spend sometime on my Mustang this evening....and swiftly regretted it! Within 5 minutes of getting the air brush loaded and starting to spray the yellow wing leading edge up we lost power (not a happy bunny at all - in fact I may of had a bit of a hissy fit)...so I haven't much to show for today...

P1000698_zps1a7ca105.jpg

P1000699_zps4bcdeae3.jpg

[/urlP1000695_zps34b0afe1.jpg

I've attempted to replicate the overspray on the base of the propellers with varying degrees of success...

P1000694_zps7b258815.jpg

P1000697_zps32294060.jpg

I've still a long way to go with this one, but it really is a great little kit.

Thanks for looking and please any criticism is more than welcome.

Yours aye

Iain

• Like 3

Hi, Iain,

Just found your thread. Excellent work, and I'm keen to see how you finish this kit because I have one in the cache that is destined to be an RCAF-oriented build. One of the best kits Tamiya have put out, IMHO, and you're doing a very good job with it. Good luck with the rest of your build! :thumbsup2:

Morning Gary

Thanks for the interest. The Tamiya kit is very good and really just falls together. I haven't done much over the past few days as the weather here has been rubbish and I haven't wanted to venture out to my workshop, hopefully I'll get some decals on over the next few nights and have a look at giving her a light weathering.

Cheers

Yours aye

Iain

Evening Ladies and gents

I'm after some advice. I thought I'd start applying the decals to my Mustang and here is where I hit my first obstacle the Techmod decals are rubbish. They are way to thin and delicate and simply fell apart when submersed in water so I resorted to using the kit ones please see photo below...

P1000707_zps0a273f39.jpg

Can anyone give me advice on how to cure the bubbling problem? All the decals seem to be effected by it. I've tried scouring the decals with a sharp knife and I've applied Mr Softner..

HELP!

Cheers

Yours aye

Iain

Morning everyone

I've managed to get some decals on my Mustang. After the problems with the Techmod decals (a mistake at £7.00 that I wont make again :badmood: ) I opted to use the Tamiya ones, so the result is a bit of a hodgepodge and the finished airplane wont represent any RAF Mustang in-particular rather its a representation. You are seeing the model in its raw state,there is a little silvering of the decals which I will endeavour to rectify, it still needs tidying up, a coat of Klear to seal it all in and some weathering.

P1000715_zpsda05fd58.jpg

P1000716_zps068246ae.jpg

P1000717_zps68ebd111.jpg

P1000718_zps1f1dac66.jpg

P1000720_zps7e0cef46.jpg

P1000721_zps8fba9e66.jpg

P1000722_zpsd532eda1.jpg

P1000723_zpsfa4e7fbf.jpg

All told this hasn't been my best modelling experience to date but I'm determined to get it finished and start on my next build the Hasegawa Hurricane MkIIc.

Yours aye

Iain

• Like 2

Afternoon Ladies and Gents

I've managed to make a little progress with my Mustang (in fact I reckon she will be finished by tomorrow :speak_cool: ).

I've given it a nice coat or two of Klear followed by a wash of my own concoction.....

P1000751_zps49ef96b3.jpg

P1000750_zps16c59815.jpg

P1000749_zps224554eb.jpg

P1000746_zps5555ca0b.jpg

P1000739_zps3ee09865.jpg

P1000730_zps4d1a5566.jpg

P1000729_zpse68f6987.jpg

P1000728_zps3ee4d79f.jpg

I plan to paint the exhaust this evening and weather the flaps and U/C doors. The next time you see her will be in the RFI section along with my Mk 1 Spitfire that I'm plucking up the courage to rig.

Any comments or observations are more than welcome.

Yours aye

Iain

• Like 2

Ok so I said that my next photos would appear in the RFI but I couldn't resist getting her on her undercarriage....

P1000752_zps6fb9977b.jpg

P1000755_zpsb6c9d200.jpg

P1000756_zps135e7fbe.jpg

and here she is with her stable mate my Mk 1 Spitfire (which has yet to be finished)

P1000757_zpsf8c47d32.jpg

Yours aye

Iain

• Like 1