My first AFV! 1/35 Italeri Land Rover 109 with extras

As an avowed aircraft modeller I have to admit that its quite rare for me to enter the mysterious and scary world of AFV modelling! In fact the last vehicle I built before now was the 1/76 RAF Recovery Set when I was about 14 some 38 years ago. The current build started as a result of a conversation with a work colleague who told me he used to drive a Land Rover in the TA and wondered how he might go about getting a desk model of the very machine he used to operate. Well as a military aircraft modeller this was unknown territory for me but i offered to give it a go.

So, I present to you the Italeri Land Rover in 1/35th scale. The model in more or less built OOB and was hand painted using Humbrol enamels. As a former signaller Bob was keen that I also featured the Clansman radio masts which I obtained from Accurate Armour and also provided the registration of his Landy.

They say a change is as good as a rest and I thoroughly enjoyed this build even though it is not to the standard of much of the work on display here. I certainly learned some new skills and I enjoyed using Tamiya weathering products for the first time

020a1_zps70dcd93c.jpg

065a1_zps0fe9100d.jpg

042c1_zps3f6f0aba.jpg

026v1_zpsce8044d8.jpg

019s1_zpse2639cc9.jpg

014x1_zps816e6495.jpg

044a1_zps17194284.jpg

081x1_zps927a38c4.jpg

Thanks for lookibg

Mark

• Like 12

excellent looking build, great job, i spent several years in ulster and the old 109 still brings a smile to my face.

regards oz!.

That is brilliant Mark,

As an ex `scaleyback' (for the latter half of my career!) who operated one of those myself (it looks like a REBRO Det with all of those antennae) it does bring back lots of memories too,...I can just smell the petrol fumes,.....your ex TA mate should be well pleased,

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot

Looks superb great wear and tear,went from Durham to Germany and back as a passenger in the same type many moons ago with the TA,

pulled that trailer full of beer back no problem!

Chaps

Thanks again for all the encouragement since my previous post. And Sean , yes I am pleased to report that Bob was indeed very satisfied with his Landy :)

Mark

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...
On 11/01/2014 at 18:20, canberraman said:

As an avowed aircraft modeller I have to admit that its quite rare for me to enter the mysterious and scary world of AFV modelling! In fact the last vehicle I built before now was the 1/76 RAF Recovery Set when I was about 14 some 38 years ago. The current build started as a result of a conversation with a work colleague who told me he used to drive a Land Rover in the TA and wondered how he might go about getting a desk model of the very machine he used to operate. Well as a military aircraft modeller this was unknown territory for me but i offered to give it a go.

So, I present to you the Italeri Land Rover in 1/35th scale. The model in more or less built OOB and was hand painted using Humbrol enamels. As a former signaller Bob was keen that I also featured the Clansman radio masts which I obtained from Accurate Armour and also provided the registration of his Landy.

They say a change is as good as a rest and I thoroughly enjoyed this build even though it is not to the standard of much of the work on display here. I certainly learned some new skills and I enjoyed using Tamiya weathering products for the first time

081x1_zps927a38c4.jpg

Thanks for lookibg

Mark

Hello Mark,

I have only just come across your thread on the Land Rover, mainly as I have only recently taken an interest in building Land Rover kits, and the finish on yours is something I would like to aspire to.  Great work!

Mike

• Like 1

The B&W pic is especially good!  I'm the other way around to you - having reintroduced myself back into the scale modelling world, I have taken on 1:35 AFV but have got a few 1:72 WW2 aircraft in the stash.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, bootneck said:

Hello Mark,

I have only just come across your thread on the Land Rover, mainly as I have only recently taken an interest in building Land Rover kits, and the finish on yours is something I would like to aspire to.  Great work!

Mike

Many thanks Mike, high praise indeed!

Mark

29 minutes ago, Watto64 said:

The B&W pic is especially good!  I'm the other way around to you - having reintroduced myself back into the scale modelling world, I have taken on 1:35 AFV but have got a few 1:72 WW2 aircraft in the stash.

Many thanks!  Good luck building the wingy things!