Academy 1:35 King Tiger, Friulmodel tracks fitted. Nearing completion.

Shar2

Thought I'd start the year with a nice big tank, so got going on the newish Academy King Tiger. I'll be using the Eduard etched sets I reviewed HERE and an RB turned barrel, which will require some modification to the kits barrel assembly to fit, but it will be worth it.

BTW, if you have this kit pay special attention to the construction of the wheels the rim, inner and outer hubs are all separate and there are specific differences in which rim is assembled with which. I've had to unstick a few and swap the hubs around as I wasn't paying attention.

hull.jpg

wheels.jpg

gun.jpg

barrel.jpg

• Like 2

Looks great so far, thanks for the heads up about the wheels as I pulled this out the stash last week to build, but not started yet.

Cheers

AH HA i got this kit for crimbo, so this has my attention.

regards oz!.

Mike, you're right, they are so shallow that I'd missed them. The angle of the photo seems to exaggerated them. Will give them a smear of filler before priming.

Mike, you're right, they are so shallow that I'd missed them. The angle of the photo seems to exaggerated them. Will give them a smear of filler before priming.

Photos always do. :rolleyes: Doesn't look serious though, as you say. How do you rate it so far? :)

I think Academy have made it overly complex, particularly with the wheels and torsion arms. If they were going to do it with and interior, which by the complex machine guns and 88 breech, they were going to it would have been fine. But since it hasn't there is a lot of detail lost, as there isn't enough to justify having the hatches open. Shame really. That said the fit has been excellent so far.

Due to a blooming migraine I didn't get half of what I wanted to do this afternoon, but eventually managed to get some of the PE done, particularly the fenders. I still have quite a lot to do on them, but I'm getting there.

hullfender.jpg

hullfender2.jpg

hullturret.jpg

hullturret1.jpg

• Like 1

I still wonder why it's called the Kingstiger.

The hull is clearly based on the Panther tank and looks at all not like the Tiger.

It should have been the "Kingpanther"

often thought that myself' the Germans named it tiger b or the Bengal tiger! the allies named it king tiger which to me seems wrong.

thats comming on very nicley now' shar2.

regards oz!.

often thought that myself' the Germans named it tiger b or the Bengal tiger! the allies named it king tiger which to me seems wrong.

thats comming on very nicley now' shar2.

regards oz!.

It was a mistranslation of the German name. In German a Bengal tiger is 'Königstiger'. 'König', by itself in German, translates as 'King'.

Nice work so far, particularly on the front fenders and side skirts. Was there a problem with the fit of the plate for the driver / RO's hatches?

Interesting that they took the same route as Trumpeter did with the wheels. I can see the why Trumpy did it in 1/16th scale but it seems a little overkill in 1/35! Must say, good call using an AM barrel. The kit one looks pretty chunky and possibly too short.

I believe this kit comes with transport tracks? If so, can you tell me if the drive sprocket has 18 or 9 teeth please. I'm tempted to get this kit, looks pretty good.

Cheers

Matt

There wasn't anything wrong with the fit of the front hatch plate, just this idiot fitting it the wrong way round. Never model when overtired. I'll check the sprocket when I get home.

No new photos yet, but will get posted later today. I have been busy though, adding lots of the smaller details. I've decided that it don't really like the kit link and length tracks, so have ordered a set of friulmodel metal tracks.