1/72 Danish AW Merlin Mk.512

I spent some time in Roskilde, Denmark last summer, and as well as discovering that all Danish women are supermodels, I was lucky enough to have the RDAF flying their Merlins overhead 2-3 times a day, all week.

Obviously, I fell in love (with the helicopters... I swear!) and vowed that I would try to model one when I return.

Well, it took some time, but here it is! My humble attempt at a Danish SAR Merlin Mk.512.

pkEd7bW.jpg?1

It started life as the Skyfall boxing of Italeri's 1/72 Merlin (HC.3?)

The kit itself isn't too bad. As much detail in a kit as you would expect from a 1/72 helo. There were a few fit issues that i found. The sides of the fuselage that come separate weren't great, as was the main canopy/windscreen.

The tail was a nightmare. I don't know if it was a moulding error, but there were no tabs to insert to add stability to the join. I knocked it off about 3 times before I ended up fabricating supports internally for it myself.

Other than that, the kit seems pretty well designed. I used the Eduard PE set for cockpit detail & seatbelts, and was very happy with the outcome.

O295pXc.jpg?1

413u2Yl.jpg?1

dJZzptm.jpg?1

To turn it into a Mk. 512, I used Heritage's Danish Merlin conversion set. Being both my first experience with resin and with converting a model, I can't really compare it to anything... I was pleased with the conversion set... the moulding seemed decent and it had everything I needed (I think...)

For decals, the only option I really had was the Model Alliance World Air Power set 1. The decals themselves were great. They went on perfectly, and were really crisp in detail. The problem with the set, however, was the actual decal set. I had heard before that they weren't great, but didn't really think they would be as disappointing as they were. As well as being very incomprehensive, there were also some pretty epic mess-ups. The danger stencil for the rear rotor, for example, read 'Fare - Avle Lys.' Now, my Danish isn't great (Kamelålså?) but I'm sure any Dane will tell you that that is a load of rubbish. I managed to find the correct 'Fare - Pas På' stencil from the HobbyBoss Danish Lynx, but unless you are desperate, I wouldn't recommend the Model Alliance set to anyone thinking of using it.

Other than that, any extra detail was scratchbuilt. Well, attempted, anyway. My scratchbuilding skill leaves a lot to be desired.

I used Revell & Tamiya Acrylics, and was my first attempt using my new Testors Aztek airbrush. Although I'm very far from mastering it, it makes a huge difference over my dodgy £15 Humbrol Airbrush.

The end result is far from perfect - Maskol buggered up my clear parts in a few places, and I think I was a bit hasty to get it finished, but I'm pretty happy with the outcome. It's difficult to do such a pretty piece of kit justice, but hopefully I've not done too bad!

I'm operating a don't ask, don't tell policy on all the mistakes and inaccuracies, but I'm sure some of you can pick them out. Maybe it's one I don't know about, so comments and criticism is more than welcomed. Sorry about the pic quality too. Maybe now I have a new airbrush, I can save for a new camera!

48cC9iI.jpg?1

tOe6lcf.jpg?1

lzFI65n.jpg?1

oRHgNqw.jpg?1

Anyway, that's my essay done. Hope you enjoy, and thanks for looking!

Daryl.

• Like 27

Very nice job! I'm glad you didn't use the horrible Model Alliance decals! ;)

Jens

Takk for det, Jens! Yeah, to say I was disappointed at them would be an understatement. I do believe that it was several of your piccies that made up the foundation of my research on this project, so thanks for that!

Out of curiosity, would I be right in thinking that any Merlins flying around the København/Roskilde area would be based out of Karup?

Now to decide whether I'm brave enough to try and convert my 1/48 Merlin into a Mk. 512!

Daryl.

Edited by daryl_five_zero
  • Like 1

My pleasure Daryl. I'm just glad if they can help fellow modellers getting their Danish models right. ;)

You're right about the Merlins being based at Karup AB. All our helicopters (Merlin, Lynx and Fennec) belong to Helicopter Wing Karup - 722, 723 and 724 Sqns respectively.

If you're going to build a quarter scale Danish Merlin you really ought to build one of the new green ones (RAF green) - or one of those with mismatched panels. :)

Jens

My pleasure Daryl. I'm just glad if they can help fellow modellers getting their Danish models right. ;)

You're right about the Merlins being based at Karup AB. All our helicopters (Merlin, Lynx and Fennec) belong to Helicopter Wing Karup - 722, 723 and 724 Sqns respectively.

If you're going to build a quarter scale Danish Merlin you really ought to build one of the new green ones (RAF green) - or one of those with mismatched panels. :)

Jens

Thanks again for the info. I'm planning a 1/48 Danish Lynx at some point, so I think I'll see how I feel after that before I plan another Danish Merlin. I've seen that Xtradecal are soon to release 1/48 decals for 'Rescue 08,' any word on if those are gonna be any good?

I've not seen any pics of the replacement Merlins... and the mismatched panel ones are new to me too. Any pics?

Daryl.

Thanks again for the info. I'm planning a 1/48 Danish Lynx at some point, so I think I'll see how I feel after that before I plan another Danish Merlin. I've seen that Xtradecal are soon to release 1/48 decals for 'Rescue 08,' any word on if those are gonna be any good?

I've not seen any pics of the replacement Merlins... and the mismatched panel ones are new to me too. Any pics?

Daryl.

I haven't seen the Xtradecal decals yet, and I'm not sure I will buy them. I will probably wait for Airfix to release a Danish/Portugese EH101 first.

M-504 has had its yellow areas repainted in the RAF dark green instead of the golden green of the original paint scheme. I'll let you know if I find some pictures of it.

Let me know when you start building the Danish Lynx. I have access to those on a daily basis. ;)

Jens

• 8 years later...

As a dane I'm always glad to see a RDAF Merlin :goodjob:- they regularly fly over my house to and from Skejby Sygehus (Skejby Hospital) just to the north of Aarhus..

For others who would like to atempt this conversion I can recommend the walk around section:

Not tooting my own horn - but still! :winkgrin:

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

• Like 1