Revell 1:32 Hawker Typhoon 1B - Africa 1943

Ok so I built this out of the box as for the most part everything was in order and I wanted to 'crack on with it'. The only part that was a problem was the canopy which was in an awful condition but I couldn't find a replacement car door so I had to live with it. You can see from the photo's it isn't great but I feel the model came out quite well anyway. I decided to build this as an African example from 1943 and the decals came from Techmod and were pretty good. It was a fairly easy build with no real problems and I really enjoyed it - so much that I found another one on eBay and think I will build the 'land army' version from 1942 when I get the time.

I used Tamiya and Vallejo paints in the main and tried to get that look of faded camo that was typical of the desert aircraft at the time. Overall I am pleased with it but of course it is a long way off what would be described as particularly good! Happy for any comments....

Ebay_zps7e557af5.jpgEbay-2_zpsb5a6232c.jpgEbay-3_zps74d062c6.jpgEbay-4_zpsf507554f.jpgEbay-5_zps44700d9c.jpg

• Like 3

That looks great, it really suits that paint scheme, and a nice job on a very ancient kit, and yes the canopy is a pain, I can remember digging trench lines in the fuselage to make mine fit !

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1

Well I think that it looks superb,.........you`ve done a cracking job and I intend to do one of these at one point myself, having found some great photos on the ADF website during my research,

Cheers

Tony

Am really liking this, you have got the colouring and weathering perfection.

One question did the Tiffy serve in Africa? I thought it was strictly European Theatre aircraft?

Or is this a "what if"

Either way looks good

Am really liking this, you have got the colouring and weathering perfection.

One question did the Tiffy serve in Africa? I thought it was strictly European Theatre aircraft?

Or is this a "what if"

Either way looks good

Three Typhoons were used for trials in the middle east, these were finished in desert colours Dark Earth, Mid Stone and Azur blue.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1

Well thank you for all your kind comments - most appreciated! I would have replied earlier but my wife and daughter had me out shopping - very reluctantly I have to say until I popped in to HobbyCraft on bagged myself an Airfix 1:24 Spitfire Mk1 for £20! I would have preferred the Hurricane but at that price it wasn't to be missed.

I wish I could get a good replacement car door canopy for this kit as I prefer it to the bubble version. I had made the PCM Tempest prior to this and it is a good kit for sure but this Revell kit despite its age and raised panel lines is great - you know how you make certain kits and you know they are going to turn out well because you love making them! Also I just love the desert schemes and I like martin's idea of doing a desert Hurricane... will have to add that to my list.

So on the way from the US of A I have the PCM Spitfire XIV and I am looking forward to that one as I like the later mark Spits the best.

chris

• Like 1

thanks again chris for posting this desert version-my Airfix .1/24 Hurricane which I bought in the UK couple of years ago for 20 on some internet sale will be definetely in this great sand look. Hope some decal will be useful from the kit. The rest with masks. So I am goig to remove dust from the box and to search for historic pictures:) martin