AZmodels DH-82A, Hærens Flyvevåpen, Norway

I had'nt really thougt about participating in this Group Build. My main goal was to take part in the Less than a tenner GB. But why not this as well? The subject for the GB is AZmodels DH-82A and its going to be done in the colours of the Army Flying School, Army Air Corps, Norway. They had several Tiger Moths, all licensebuilt at Kjeller Aircraft Factory. The Tiger Moths was also used as training aircrafts at the Air Corps units, as neutrality guards/ observers during the winter of 1939/40 and as communication aircrafts after the German invasion in April 1940.

The kit is with decals for Australian units and my plan was to paint the national markings and the serial#. As I have come aware of AZmodels also does this with Norwegian decals so a new kit is ordered and in the mail.

I have also come aware of that there are differences in the fuselage of the Norwegian Tiger Moths and the one AZmodels are doing. I don't think I will bother too much about that, maybe try to simulate the stringers on the older fuselage of the Norwegian ones with a marker pen or paint or maybe just leave it as it is. Anyway, here are some pics:

The box, kit, instructions, sprues and PE.

P1050781_zpsdd06b74d.jpg

Just started.

CIMG0862_zps2a0fa379.jpg

The first layers of paint.

CIMG0863_zps663fd5ed.jpg

That'll be all for now :bye:

• Like 2

Thanks for the google image. The Tiger Moth "141" which is displayed at Norsk Luftfartsmuseum, Bodø, is according to the book Norske Militærfly (Norwegian Military Aircraft) a UK built example used as a subject at the RNoAF Technical School at Kjevik, Kristiansand. That probably explains the smooth fuselage.

Thanks. I think it's about 10 years since I last shoot a target like that. Had a Steyr-Mannlicher air pistol, but sold it 9 years ago. I kept some of the targets, thinking they could come in handy some day. And they're good for mixing epoxy on, and do the odd painting on :-)

• 2 weeks later...

A little progress. The AZModels Tiger Moth "North Europe" edition arrived in my mailbox and it's the first time since I was a boy that a kit actually bypasses the stash and goes straight from mailbox to workbench. So now there are two Tigers on the bench. I will do one as "189" with the decals from the new kit, and the other probably as "141" which flew with the flying unit at Værnes, close to Trondheim. 189 served at the flying school and is well within the scope of this GB.

Whats been done to the Moths ? Painted the other fuselage and seats / interior and applied a little wash to the first one

The picture:

CIMG0865_zps6abc4387.jpg

Looking good with correct scheme on the box.

• Like 1

Good looking kit, look forward to the progress reports!

This is the answer to sausage fingers! Micro Liquitape, a tacky adhesive for temporarily joining most modelling materials. It's great for checking alignment and positioning, but if you dip some cocktail sticks into it then allow them to dry, they become tacky and you can pick up small pieces with them. Once in position, roll the cocktail stick away and it disengages from the piece, sometimes with a little help from another dry stick or similar.

DSCN3391_zpsc1bf5c7a.jpg

Max

• Like 1

I bought a white chinagraph pencil from someone at the Middle Wallop show last november for £1.50!! Does the same sort of thing.....but I haven't tried it though I do know it works as it was demonstrated. Valiant Wings was the trader.

I bought a white chinagraph pencil from someone at the Middle Wallop show last november for £1.50!! Does the same sort of thing.....but I haven't tried it though I do know it works as it was demonstrated. Valiant Wings was the trader.

I've seen reviews of the pencil Paul, very mixed opinions but I hope it works for you. Liquitape is foolproof (how do I know?)

Max

• 2 months later...

Progress on the Tiger Moth!!

After two months of distraction by the "WorldOfTanks"-virus I've found some tools and the Tiger Moth and made some small progress. Put on the lower wing and the tailfeathers and filled some joints. Next step will be the primer. I've also drilled the holes for the rigging of the wing. Scary!!

Here's the proof:

CIMG0877_zps1dbd0514.jpg

CIMG0878_zps1346a9db.jpg

• Like 2

Nice to see a Norwegian Tiger Moth. When I made mine for the Sola Air Museum, I first pinted the striped area white, maked off and did the red. Neither of these colours go down well over green and its pretty common to find that white decal stripes are not 100% translucent over red.

All the best

The cat

• 2 weeks later...

Norwegian Wood,

I think I am going to enjoy THIS Tiger Moth as it's in another Country's colors.

Good to see it in your Nations color scheme. :yahoo:

You have made an excellent start..

Keep up the great workmanship ..

:worthy:

• 2 weeks later...

This GB has really taken off and the gallery is full of colourful "training devices". Sadly the Norwegian Tiger Moth will not be amongst them. And it's not going to be as colourful either :winkgrin:. With just a couple of days left and the weekend full of family activities I'm certainly not going to be able to meet the deadline. In a case like this, is the proper thing to do to start a new WIP or just wait for the next KUTA?

Anyway the training GB has actually given me first time experience with PE and now recently I tried airbrushing for the first time. I will definitly try that more. Here's a picture of the state of the TM :

CIMG0881_zpsf1fee266.jpg

Thanks for all the support and I hope to have it finished maybe during this summer or as a winter KUTA.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...